Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Disability related  (Read 1900 times)

Re: Disability related
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 02:19:58 PM »

Blahblah, you are doing an amazing job managing as well as you do to live alone in the community with the help of your carers. Don't loose heart. :)
I am my husband's sole carer and I hate to think what would happen to him should anything happen to me.

Thank you so much. Just would like to add that if you see grouchy disabled people, if they don't have a mental illness too, (or even if they do!) they are coping in world that isn't very inclusive on any level.

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 02:24:09 PM »
It's not only the area of the country you live in, but also which of the four countries that make up the UK, that you live in.

In theory, there should be more money for services in NI, Scotland and Wales due to the Barnett Formula (they get given more money per head for public spending than England) but it depends what they spend that extra money on.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/1580787/How-the-Barnett-formula-works.html

Then within each of the four countries of the UK, there are all the councils and they too decide what to spend their budgets on. They also set their own Council Tax rates, decide who they will give a CT discount too and how much that discount will be.

It's a postcode lottery, depending on what services are most important to the individual.

I never knew about this formula! How can such a tiny little island be so flippin hard to govern?! All the British I speak with don't want local councils to have more power!!! Neither do I.

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 02:28:41 PM »
I really feel for carers of family as they get so little support.

Blahblah, I don't know how you cope without family.

Hahaha! I can tell you how. I come from a background of verbal, psychological abuse and emotional abandonment. Raised by the Queen of Darkness! Families can be fantastic or complete nightmares. Loads of lies about parenting, marriage, ETC.!

• Liked: 342
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 03:00:03 PM »
How can such a tiny little island be so flippin hard to govern?!

Thousands of islands. The largest of these islands being Great Britain, with 3 of the 4 countries of the UK on it (plus all their smaller islands).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_of_the_United_Kingdom

I read on a forum the other day that even some of the British Islands are classed as "abroad" for benefit claimants. They still have to tell all the relevant departments they claim different benefits from when they go "abroad" to these islands, as well as when then travel outside the UK.

All the British I speak with don't want local councils to have more power!!! Neither do I.

They are losing some power, but gaining it elsewhere.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:15:02 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 342
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 03:11:09 PM »
I pay carers out of DLA and I can't even get the highest level of rate with that!

Not been "invited" to have a medical to change from DLA to it's replacement PIP yet then? Or are of an age where you will stay on DLA?

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:21:49 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links