Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Goodreads  (Read 3994 times)

• Liked: 1260
Goodreads
« on: June 09, 2016, 11:11:27 AM »
Don't know if anybody else uses Goodreads.com but I just wanted to point out that I think it's fab for keeping track of books that you want to read/have read/are currently reading. I, personally, go through phases where I am a massive bookworm and I will plow through reading something and then switch to barely picking a book up for weeks. I use Goodreads to keep track if I see a book mentioned somewhere that I think sounds good or if I'm reading a series so I know all the books I need so I don't forget during my "can't be bothered" phase. Wasn't sure if anybody else would find it useful as well  :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 163
Re: Goodreads
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 09:22:23 PM »
Good call! Another good thing about Goodreads is you can connect it to your Amazon account, and it'll recommend books you might like based on ones you have liked in the past. (I'm always looking for new stuff to read.)

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 09:24:34 PM »
Good call! Another good thing about Goodreads is you can connect it to your Amazon account, and it'll recommend books you might like based on ones you have liked in the past. (I'm always looking for new stuff to read.)

Didn't even know that!
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 09:50:01 PM »
Click "My Books" at the top, and then you'll see "add Amazon book purchases" about halfway down the list on the left side of the page. I did it a while ago, so I don't remember the exact steps, but I don't remember it being overly complicated. :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 11:27:06 PM »
YEAH!

I joined Goodreads awhile back, can't remember when though. I've probably missed a good chunk of books I've read cause I forgot about it for a year or so. It's good fun though! Nice to see how many books I've read. Do they have an app? I'd definitely use it... they indeed have an app!

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 11:29:04 PM »
Haha I forgot about it for ages too until somebody on my Facebook posted something to their wall and then I remembered. I had just finished marking a book as complete while browsing this forum so thought it was worth a mention in case others didn't know that would like it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 18
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 09:31:56 AM »
I love Goodreads, and have been on the site since.... well, I can't remember actually - 2010 I think?  As already mentioned, it's a great way to keep track of the books I've read, look up reading order in a series, get reviews from people you trust before deciding to buy a book, and I can't even begin to count how many free books I've gotten thanks to information from groups I've joined. 

It was joining my first group in 2012 that really made Goodreads fun for me.  I've been able to beta read books for several authors, or get free advanced review copies, and just chat with like minded fellow readers. 

However, there is one somewhat unique reason Goodreads will forever be regarded fondly - I'm here in the UK, and married to my Brit, because we met on Goodreads.  In fact, it was a moderator of one of the groups we were both members of who recommended UK-Yankee when we had no idea how to start the process of living in the same country.....

And the rest, as they say, is history!   ;D
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 10:31:35 AM »
Aw, that's awesome Becca! That's a great way to meet the husband! :)

I actually met mine on the art website Deviantart. Not really sure why they went with that name, but I haven't really seen anything deviant about it... We started talking through a mutual enjoyment of Terry Pratchett. Hard to believe it was 4 years ago that we met.

I saw on my account that I joined in 2009. I can't believe I've had it that long! No one I know really reads much and I don't spend enough time on Goodreads it I think. I really should look for groups, I really would like to have some like genre readers to chat with. :)
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 10:59:51 AM »
Deviantart.

Good lord, I read that as Deviant Tart to begin with....which is fine too by-the-way.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 18
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 12:02:59 PM »
Aw, that's awesome Becca! That's a great way to meet the husband! :)

I actually met mine on the art website Deviantart. Not really sure why they went with that name, but I haven't really seen anything deviant about it... We started talking through a mutual enjoyment of Terry Pratchett. Hard to believe it was 4 years ago that we met.

Thanks!  It was a great way to meet actually, because we found so much in common before there was any romantic interest involved.  I was his beta reader, which I think was pretty cool too.   ;D

Good lord, I read that as Deviant Tart to begin with....which is fine too by-the-way.

*snicker*  I read it that way too....   >:D
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 12:12:23 PM »
Haha I can confirm that, unless you are looking under certain categories, there isn't much deviant about deviantart hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab