Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: EU Referendum!!  (Read 2231 times)

• Liked: 68
EU Referendum!!
« on: June 10, 2016, 12:20:13 PM »
This referendum is driving everyone mad!

I have been looking for a job since being granted my FLR(M) and as job searches go, they're not fun. In fact they're downright depressing at times. So I was really excited when I got invited to send my CV to someone who may have a position open for me. I did this last week.

Today I got a response and in it is: "Are you Vote Leave or Vote Remain?"

Really?!!! Is that something you can even ask! Of course I have my opinions on it but I don't get to vote so I only replied that I have no say so I stay out of it. But really...am I to be judged for a position on my view on "Brexit"? So frustrating! I will happily continue my job search before working for anyone who deems it necessary to ask that about a job.

• Liked: 223
Re: EU Referendum!!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 12:51:40 PM »
This referendum is driving everyone mad!

I have been looking for a job since being granted my FLR(M) and as job searches go, they're not fun. In fact they're downright depressing at times. So I was really excited when I got invited to send my CV to someone who may have a position open for me. I did this last week.

Today I got a response and in it is: "Are you Vote Leave or Vote Remain?"

Really?!!! Is that something you can even ask! Of course I have my opinions on it but I don't get to vote so I only replied that I have no say so I stay out of it. But really...am I to be judged for a position on my view on "Brexit"? So frustrating! I will happily continue my job search before working for anyone who deems it necessary to ask that about a job.

Wow. That sounds pretty inappropriate to me and possibly illegal, too. :-\\\\

However the question is answered, the potential employer could be suspected of discrimination just by asking it.

Good on you for realising it might not be an employer you want to work for.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 12:54:22 PM »
Sounds like you dodged a bullet.  That kind of question in a recruitment process is seriously crazy, and if you got the job then you'd end up putting up with crazy on a daily basis.  Count your blessings.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 04:08:03 PM »
A friend of mine is a career advisor and he looked it up and said discrimination on the basis of politics is not illegal, although things like gender, religion, race, etc is. How weird! Either way I am not interested in working for anyone who cares to know. The job has nothing to do with politics and a vote is private!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 04:48:42 PM »
That is mental!

I have to say Facebook is a minefield right now of political crap from both sides of the pond. I've got people fighting about the Democratic nominee and the train wreck that is Donald Trump and now EU referendum is starting to show up.

I'm curious as to what everyone's stance is on that, but I think that would need to go into Pettifog?

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 05:13:27 PM »
Maybe. I'm surprised I haven't seen the topic yet but I've not been brave enough to start it myself, haha!

The fighting over it all has been crazy (brexit and the presidential election). Some people get downright nasty about it as well, which is why I did not want to get into it with a potential employer. Well, WAS a potential employer. I have no desire to pursue that now!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 05:21:12 PM »
I'm surprised I haven't seen the topic yet...

Me too but I'm not disappointed that we've not been discussing it here. It's kind of nice to get a break from the propaganda now and again!  :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 05:32:28 PM »
It's just me being nosy. haha. I've noticed politics tends to be a less talked about subject, which it the smart way, in my opinion.

I'm not one to chat politics much, just when it's with my friends and family really.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 06:20:00 PM »
I'm curious as to what everyone's stance is on that, but I think that would need to go into Pettifog?

There have been a few posts about the referendum (but not recent posts and they're not particularly active) over on the politics branch.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 06:31:51 PM »
It's just me being nosy. haha.

If I'm honest, I'd be interested to know myself! ;)

• Liked: 36
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 12:31:37 PM »
Hi,

I think that's very unprofessional to be asked that at the stage of a potential interview etc. The person who wrote that to you has either made a big slip up in their usual high standard of professionalism or,  are very influenced by it all and have a chip on their shoulder if you are of the opposite to what they think.

I'm not surprised for the latter, a person I thought I knew quite well put the phone down on me when we discussed the Brexit as we are on opposing views, I was shocked that he did that as I didn't have him down for being unreasonable, but hey.

It's a massive decision and 'if' there is indeed an exit from the EU, then I think there will be some serious financial, political and social issues as a result. I'm voting 'In'.

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 02:13:19 PM »
I'm voting 'In'.

As well.

But wouldn't it have been interesting if Cameron, and Blair/Brown before....if they had really been proactive about reform. Leading the way on cleaning things up.

Perhaps the decision not to join the Euro was key....and perhaps the UK (England) still thinks of itself in terms of Empire. 
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 149
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 07:33:58 AM »
I don't know if it is just me or not......but the older I get the more I see extreme nastiness among voters. It's probably always been there and I just didn't see it. With the US side of things I like to read a few of the comments on some online articles and it is just one insult after another....often beyond insults. From the UK side I see this coming down to younger vs older. About the only social action I get is at the golf course and most of the older folks (that's almost everybody ::))  seem to be mostly for Brexit. My wife is voting for getting out, but doesn't pay any attention to what is happening in the news....she doesn't like other people/countries telling her what to do (which I understand). Probably the worst reason to me for staying in/out.....and seems to be repeated over and over among tv interviews is that by staying in it makes going on holiday easier. I've never really understood the British desperation to "go on holiday". One of my wife's son's just went for a week in Greece with his wife (who didn't really want to go). Their house needs work......their vacuum doesn't work.....kitchen needs some things done......but nope, blow the money on a trip instead. The wife wanted to get a few things fixed in the house.

Ahhhh......now I'm just rambling again......but I really really really want a button (that provides a satisfying grunt of pain from the politician) I can push every time a politician doesn't answer a question. If you asked Cameron (or pick another of them) if it was cold outside he would go into some long winded story about anything other than answering the question. It seems the longer they spend talking about something else.....the less time they may have to actually talk about the original question.

AAARRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!
Fred

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 01:59:27 PM »
This definitely sounds illegal (discrimination)! I honestly cannot stand how out of control the EU debate is getting. It's gotten to a point on my Facebook that, for example, on the village I live in there is a developer (English at that) submitting plans to build a housing development. People are now taking that and twisting it into "SEE! If we left the EU, we wouldn't have these problems!!" or "If we STAY, we'll get XYZ in this situation!" but in actuality - leave or stay - it's not going to impact this housing development happening. People are looking to twist EVERY issue (locally or otherwise) into a debate about staying/leaving the EU and it's driving me up a wall. Both sides are posting on the same issues but saying exactly different and nobody is fact checking! And people are getting proper nasty with each other vs. respecting each other's point of view. I am so ready for this to be over. Along with the comments about migrants. If I her one more "...Oh! but not you! You aren't an EU immigrant so I'm not talking about YOU obviously!" I will scream.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 533
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 06:43:50 PM »
I don't know if it is just me or not......but the older I get the more I see extreme nastiness among voters. It's probably always been there and I just didn't see it. With the US side of things I like to read a few of the comments on some online articles and it is just one insult after another....often beyond insults. From the UK side I see this coming down to younger vs older. About the only social action I get is at the golf course and most of the older folks (that's almost everybody ::))  seem to be mostly for Brexit. My wife is voting for getting out, but doesn't pay any attention to what is happening in the news....she doesn't like other people/countries telling her what to do (which I understand). Probably the worst reason to me for staying in/out.....and seems to be repeated over and over among tv interviews is that by staying in it makes going on holiday easier. I've never really understood the British desperation to "go on holiday". One of my wife's son's just went for a week in Greece with his wife (who didn't really want to go). Their house needs work......their vacuum doesn't work.....kitchen needs some things done......but nope, blow the money on a trip instead. The wife wanted to get a few things fixed in the house.

Ahhhh......now I'm just rambling again......but I really really really want a button (that provides a satisfying grunt of pain from the politician) I can push every time a politician doesn't answer a question. If you asked Cameron (or pick another of them) if it was cold outside he would go into some long winded story about anything other than answering the question. It seems the longer they spend talking about something else.....the less time they may have to actually talk about the original question.

AAARRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!

Good stuff here.

I think...and this is just something I've been mulling over....that we on the left sort of caused it. In the US the left controlled the news during the 60's and 70's. And with all that was happening with Vietnam and Watergate and Civil Rights....it is understandable.

But perhaps we got a bit smug and dismissive of concerns of a big chunk of the population. So when Reagan and Gingrich and then Fox News came along and pushed back, the left reacted too with a lot of vigour. 

Again I am for remaining in the EU....but I can't dismiss you wife's concerns. And the reason I haven't felt the urge to foam at the mouth at it all is that it may well be true that Britain just plain doesn't want to be in it. We'll find out.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab