Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: new rules on visa  (Read 2884 times)

• Liked: 0
new rules on visa
« on: June 12, 2016, 09:33:27 PM »
I was just about ready to apply for a visa and having spoken to various members, originally I had to apply for a visa if i wanted to stay six months or less now according to new rules on January 8th or it could have been June 8th, 2016 its either one, I can go to England for up to six months without a visa.  Can someone advise me as  I need to apply for a visa now if this is Not the case

Thanks Teejay :P

• Liked: 387
Re: new rules on visa
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 09:40:15 PM »
If you are coming to the UK as a visitor, you do not need to apply for a visitor visa in advance unless you have been previously been refused entry or have other circumstances that would mean you would need a visa issued in advance (ex. criminal history, etc).  You should be prepared; however, to demonstrate your ties to the US if you are questioned by the IO.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 09:46:54 PM »
I was just about ready to apply for a visa and having spoken to various members, originally I had to apply for a visa if i wanted to stay six months or less now according to new rules on January 8th or it could have been June 8th, 2016 its either one, I can go to England for up to six months without a visa. 

That's not a new rule - US citizens have been able to come to the UK without a visa for up to 6 months for years now.

However, if you have any previous refused visas or entries to the UK, or any criminal convictions, you should apply for a visa in advance.

Also, if you are coming to visit for more than a couple of months or so, it might be a good idea to apply for a visa in advance, since the longer you plan to stay, the more scrutiny you will be under from UK immigration, so applying before you travel will allow you to know you have permission to enter the UK before you get on the plane. If you plan to stay for 6 months, they will be looking to see how you can afford to stay for so long, why you have 6 months available to visit the UK (i.e. i.e. most people can't take that much time off work), and that you have ties to the US that mean you will definitely return at the end of the 6 months and won't attempt to stay in the UK for longer (such as a job, a home, family to get back to, appointments, events etc.).

• Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 05:31:56 AM »
Be very aware that you can visit the U.K. on 'holiday' for up to 6 months without a via but you cannot work! Even if that work is in the USA.

I had planned to visit for 6 months sans visa to look for work in hopes of landing s job to immigrate. Everything was in place until I was asked how I would support myself as I was going to rent a flat. My work is all done via my laptop - email, online, etc. all I need to do my job (self employer writer/publisher) is my laptop and wifi. However when I revealed this I was told I would be breaking the law. So as ksand24 notes, expect closer scrutiny the longer you stay.

Could I possibly have gotten away with it? Perhaps, after all, who would know if I was working or posting to Facebook or writing a blog? But, were I found out it may well have ruined any future hope of immigrating so I felt the risk too great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links