Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anybody listen to The Archers?  (Read 1493 times)

• Liked: 1891
Anybody listen to The Archers?
« on: June 13, 2016, 02:12:42 PM »
I started listening just to hear the funny voices without paying attention, much like the shipping forecast.  Now I'm hooked and know more about farming than I want to.  I'll let you guys know when it's lambing season.

Re: Anybody listen to The Archers?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 04:20:33 PM »
Dead Silence?   Do you guys even know what I am on about? 

It's a radio soap opera on Radio 4, every night after the 7 o'clock news.  It's been going for something like 40 years and the government uses it to educate farmers. 

Give it a go if you want to hear a variety of accents.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 04:47:34 PM »

It's a radio soap opera on Radio 4, every night after the 7 o'clock news.  It's been going for something like 40 years and the government uses it to educate farmers. 

Give it a go if you want to hear a variety of accents.

I do, but I'm British so maybe I don't count?
My grandmother listened to a lot of radio, The Archers, and Dr Finlay's casebook were staples!

• Liked: 584
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 05:41:34 PM »

It's also on at like 2 or 2:15 in the afternoon.  I've heard it, but I don't really like it.  One of my friends has the Archers theme tune as his ringtone.  ::)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 11:06:48 PM »
It's also on at like 2 or 2:15 in the afternoon.  I've heard it, but I don't really like it.  One of my friends has the Archers theme tune as his ringtone.  ::)

I'm sure there is an omnibus on Sunday mornings as well.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan, but I sometimes will have the Archers on in the car when I'm heading to some of my weekly activities.   It's funny how you can pick up a story one week on say a Monday night and not hear it again until Thursday the next week and yet, still know what is going on! 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 10:07:34 AM »
That's it, sometimes the storylines take years to develop, in real time.

There's a current storyline about domestic violence, specifically this new coercive control law that has recently been introduced in real life.  There's a couple where the man isolated the wife from her family and friends, constantly attaked her self esteem and finally controlled her whole life.  The story was believable because it happened gradually over several years.  Without that example, I'm not sure I would have ever considered it a real thing.   

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab