Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Not sure where else this would fit, but it would be cool if UK-Y had....  (Read 1153 times)

• Liked: 1260
.... a messenger function. I know there's a "messenge" function but was thinking it would be pretty cool to just have an actual messenger like on Facebook so you can have casual chit-chat with other users in a window that can be open while browsing threads on the forum. Think this is available on the Taptalk app but I haven't really explored it. I look at the forum mostly when bored at work so sitting on my PC hah.

I know obviously we can't really make those changes but has anybody else ever thought that would be cool?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 537
Yeah, I've thought it would be a cool thing, but I don't think it's available on any forum I've seen. :)

You could always ask people if they want to be facebook friends or get their email or skype name?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Yeah, I've thought it would be a cool thing, but I don't think it's available on any forum I've seen. :)

You could always ask people if they want to be facebook friends or get their email or skype name?

Yeah I haven't seen it on any other forums I've been in either.

Hah totally agree as I have added people on Facebook before because it's just easier/more convenient (not that sending a message on here is difficult or anything  :P ). I guess I was kind of thinking more of when you're talking in a specific thread and you think "oh this person sounds cool!" or just want to make an additional comment on something to a specific person. You could message them but sometimes it feels like maybe you need to have like a proper message to send (more lengthy I guess or detailed) or you might be like "this person doesn't know me..should I send this or will they think I'm a weird - especially if they don't see it right away?". I think my thought process was that it might get more "strangers" talking to each other and getting to know each other - if hat makes sense and doesn't sound totally strange or creepy or something haha
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 718
Other sites I have been on do provide the ability to put a link to your preferred IM system such as Skype so that other members can IM with you.  A link to your IM site(s) shows in the panel on the left below your member id for every post you make.

You set up your IM link in your user profile.

"You may enter your registered identity for the instant messaging networks if you would like other visitors to be able to contact you using that medium."
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

I know that feeling. Not wanting to come on too strong. haha. I just got over that a few years ago. No way to make friends without feeling a bit like a weirdo! Sucks to be an adult, you get funny looks if you walk up to someone and tell them you like their shirt/hair/handbag.

Each website has a different way of getting to know people. Twitter has the 140 character limit, DeviantArt has the message platform (emails) tumblr had fanmail and now an IM type thing. I know a lot of people are more comfortable starting to talk with people they meet on the net in a 'safe way'.

Stupid mouse just stopped working... sigh
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

You set up your IM link in your user profile.

"You may enter your registered identity for the instant messaging networks if you would like other visitors to be able to contact you using that medium."

Didn't think of that to be honest! I was just thinking "it would be handy just to have an instant messenger built into the forum similar to facebook". Never thought about just adding other this separately to my profile, although if I'm honest I use skype at work and that's it.  I have an account for it I think, but haven't touched it in years!
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 718
Didn't think of that to be honest! I was just thinking "it would be handy just to have an instant messenger built into the forum similar to facebook". Never thought about just adding other this separately to my profile, although if I'm honest I use skype at work and that's it.  I have an account for it I think, but haven't touched it in years!

I mentioned it because it is "off the shelf" and doesn't require the site to write or buy an IM system just for the site, so it is inexpensive to add if there is enough demand for such a service.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

I know that feeling. Not wanting to come on too strong. haha. I just got over that a few years ago. No way to make friends without feeling a bit like a weirdo! Sucks to be an adult, you get funny looks if you walk up to someone and tell them you like their shirt/hair/handbag.

Each website has a different way of getting to know people. Twitter has the 140 character limit, DeviantArt has the message platform (emails) tumblr had fanmail and now an IM type thing. I know a lot of people are more comfortable starting to talk with people they meet on the net in a 'safe way'.

Stupid mouse just stopped working... sigh

It's funny because in person I couldn't give two "cares" about telling somebody I like their shirt or something like that but maaaannnn is it hilarious to see some of the reactions. Sometimes people are super happy that you've tried to compliment them and sometimes they just think you're a massive weirdo and meet you with a ".....thanks?" lol. Been here going on three years now and haven't made too many of my own friends that I would say I actually talk to or hang out with outside work (there are a handful but other than that it's all my husband's friends who have become my friends now as well) and it just got me thinking about different ways to meet people.

I have to admit, I HATE the tumblr messenger! I feel like I've just received tons of spam and crap haha. I don't log into my deviantart much anymore so I can't really even remember that one very well and I don't use twitter at all. It's definitely about putting yourself out there to make friends for sure and I don't think I do that enough (which is odd as I'm a fairly outgoing person for the most part). It's funny though because if I am going to a party of people I don't know well, I will get that initial anxiety feeling and not want to go but once I'm there I will talk to pretty much anyone and have a good time!
My, how time flies....

I mentioned it because it is "off the shelf" and doesn't require the site to write or buy an IM system just for the site, so it is inexpensive to add if there is enough demand for such a service.

Oh totally agree! I wouldn't have expected them to add a built-in messenger on here to be honest. I literally was just bored at work and IM-ing someone on Facebook while also browsing the forum when I was thinking if a built-in chat option would make people even more social than they already are on here and wondering if anybody else had thought the same. As mentioned, I hadn't even thought about adding any separate messenger account names on here so was a good shout!  :)
My, how time flies....

It's funny because in person I couldn't give two "cares" about telling somebody I like their shirt or something like that but maaaannnn is it hilarious to see some of the reactions. Sometimes people are super happy that you've tried to compliment them and sometimes they just think you're a massive weirdo and meet you with a ".....thanks?" lol. Been here going on three years now and haven't made too many of my own friends that I would say I actually talk to or hang out with outside work (there are a handful but other than that it's all my husband's friends who have become my friends now as well) and it just got me thinking about different ways to meet people.

I have to admit, I HATE the tumblr messenger! I feel like I've just received tons of spam and crap haha. I don't log into my deviantart much anymore so I can't really even remember that one very well and I don't use twitter at all. It's definitely about putting yourself out there to make friends for sure and I don't think I do that enough (which is odd as I'm a fairly outgoing person for the most part). It's funny though because if I am going to a party of people I don't know well, I will get that initial anxiety feeling and not want to go but once I'm there I will talk to pretty much anyone and have a good time!

Yeah, I love to give compliments to people, but my accent over here seems to create a barrier with some people. They either don't hear me right or just think I'm crazy...
I've been here two years and I only have 3 people I would consider friends, ones who I actually hang out with. Two of them you REALLY have to plan to see.

I agree. I'm not much of a fan. It hasn't added anything to my tumblr experience. I would have loved it on 2012 though! I don't post on their as much as I used to. I've noticed most of the people I follow don't post as much either.

I always get nervous going to parties too... I'm ridiculously shy but really outgoing when talking to people that no one seems to notice the shyness. I rarely have a really good time at parties though. If there are enough people I know I like to meet new people, but if I know just the host, most parties kind of blow. Bear in mind these were parties were alcohol was a huge feature and I didn't and still don't drink much.

Yeah, I love to give compliments to people, but my accent over here seems to create a barrier with some people. They either don't hear me right or just think I'm crazy...
I've been here two years and I only have 3 people I would consider friends, ones who I actually hang out with. Two of them you REALLY have to plan to see.

I agree. I'm not much of a fan. It hasn't added anything to my tumblr experience. I would have loved it on 2012 though! I don't post on their as much as I used to. I've noticed most of the people I follow don't post as much either.

I always get nervous going to parties too... I'm ridiculously shy but really outgoing when talking to people that no one seems to notice the shyness. I rarely have a really good time at parties though. If there are enough people I know I like to meet new people, but if I know just the host, most parties kind of blow. Bear in mind these were parties were alcohol was a huge feature and I didn't and still don't drink much.

I get the same thing with people mishearing me quite a bit as well.

I'm not a massive party person but even just a smaller gathering at somebody's house I get nervous where I know the minority of people. Never used to be like that but I think it's more since I moved because I'm more afraid if I don't fit in or have fun it might ruin my husband's night with his friends (even though it's never the case - I WAY over think the situation and my social anxiety has shot up in the last 3 years since moving here). I do drink but I much prefer some drinks with friends while playing a game or BBQ-ing over a raging house party.

Oh man. I have a love hate relationship with Tumblr (and too many different blogs going!). Some days I will post like 5-10 posts in an hour but then I'll go like a month or two with nothing LOL
My, how time flies....

I get the same thing with people mishearing me quite a bit as well.

I'm not a massive party person but even just a smaller gathering at somebody's house I get nervous where I know the minority of people. Never used to be like that but I think it's more since I moved because I'm more afraid if I don't fit in or have fun it might ruin my husband's night with his friends (even though it's never the case - I WAY over think the situation and my social anxiety has shot up in the last 3 years since moving here). I do drink but I much prefer some drinks with friends while playing a game or BBQ-ing over a raging house party.

Oh man. I have a love hate relationship with Tumblr (and too many different blogs going!). Some days I will post like 5-10 posts in an hour but then I'll go like a month or two with nothing LOL

Royally blows sometimes and you just don't want to repeat yourself sometimes... *shakes head*

I know that feeling. :) It's never a fun one to over think. I used to make myself go to house parties because I knew I'd have a little bit of fun at least. My brother had really great friends and it always pays to know a lot of people when you're a girl going out to bars. Guy friends are always good when guys are being skeevy.
Ugh, raging house parties are horrible. You lose track of the people you came in with and it's impossible to talk to anyone without yelling in their ear.

I definitely worry about fitting in. I can't seem to come up with what to talk to people about over here. I get nervous and can't think of what are good topics. I totally sound like an idiot sometimes, I try and translate what I'm thinking from US English to UK English and it makes me pause sometimes.

I check mine a lot. Just because it's fun to see what people are posting and it's a relaxing 5-10 minutes. I follow a lot of artists because I always wish I could draw...
I set stuff up to reblog in a queue to post over night during US mountain time. So if I put up a lot of things it will string them out a bit rather than inundating people. haha. I used to post ALL THE TIME.

Royally blows sometimes and you just don't want to repeat yourself sometimes... *shakes head*

I'm guilty of just letting people believe I've said something totally different because it was just too cringe-y to repeat myself LOL is that horrible?

Guy friends are always good when guys are being skeevy.

Luckily I've never had a problem with guy friends! I tend to have more dude-lier interests (with some exceptions). It's trying to make new girlfriends that I definitely struggle with due to interests (like I've met a lot of girls here that like to go to clubs and that's not me. I will take a pub with some rock music any day lol).

I definitely worry about fitting in. I can't seem to come up with what to talk to people about over here. I get nervous and can't think of what are good topics. I totally sound like an idiot sometimes, I try and translate what I'm thinking from US English to UK English and it makes me pause sometimes.

That's really funny actually that you say that as I can get quite awkward when trying to think of things to talk about when I get a bit nervous. The funniest part is that I can completely relate to the translating from US to UK english! I've actually explained to somebody that I promise I'm not stupid or something when I've not been quick to explain what veggies I'm growing it's just being inwardly I was trying to translate zucchini to courgette or eggplant to aubergine, etc. I find I definitely have trouble when even slightly nervous to do those translations haha Glad somebody understands!
My, how time flies....

I'm guilty of just letting people believe I've said something totally different because it was just too cringe-y to repeat myself LOL is that horrible?

Luckily I've never had a problem with guy friends! I tend to have more dude-lier interests (with some exceptions). It's trying to make new girlfriends that I definitely struggle with due to interests (like I've met a lot of girls here that like to go to clubs and that's not me. I will take a pub with some rock music any day lol).

That's really funny actually that you say that as I can get quite awkward when trying to think of things to talk about when I get a bit nervous. The funniest part is that I can completely relate to the translating from US to UK english! I've actually explained to somebody that I promise I'm not stupid or something when I've not been quick to explain what veggies I'm growing it's just being inwardly I was trying to translate zucchini to courgette or eggplant to aubergine, etc. I find I definitely have trouble when even slightly nervous to do those translations haha Glad somebody understands!

Not at all! I've done the same, especially if I have to repeat myself more than once. haha. Gotta love accents. It's totally happened the other way round too...

I've got a ton of guy friends back in Colorado, I could always chat with them about video games (my brother got me into WoW and Diablo II. I'm playing Diablo III right now on our PS3), and I love action movies and sci-fi novels. So I got on really well with all of his friends as they shared the same interests haha. I didn't write half of what I was thinking. All my guy friends also worked or spent a lot of time at the bars and brew pubs so if I needed someone to hang out with they were often there! I'm not a clubber either, to be honest I've not actually been to a real club, they are few and far between in Western Colorado! haha.

I don't think people quite understand how different US and UK English can be. I may just give up on trying to translate when I first meet people and just explain what UK English things I mean after I say it. I can talk normal at home with my husband cause he's used to me. haha.

I don't think people quite understand how different US and UK English can be. I may just give up on trying to translate when I first meet people and just explain what UK English things I mean after I say it. I can talk normal at home with my husband cause he's used to me. haha.

hahaha same. It's gotten to the point that he will use US words instead of UK ones. Or he'll say something about his pants and I'll have to say "'YOUR pants or MINE ? Which version?" and he'll specify he meant jeans. haha
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links