Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: If Brexit Happens...  (Read 5560 times)

• Liked: 1
If Brexit Happens...
« on: June 18, 2016, 11:40:24 AM »
...would this impact anyone's decision to immigrate to the UK? I do think UK citizenship becomes less valuable if they are no longer an EU nation due to potential lack of freedom of movement.

Politically, I fear the consumer and worker protections go away, and the UK turns into another America, but with more rain and lousy customer service.  :(

• Liked: 533
Re: If Brexit Happens...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 11:51:26 AM »
Yes, it will reduce the value of citizenship. And yes, with the Conservatives openly discussing suspension of human rights and such, we could see another step towards their planned neo-fuedalism.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 149
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 07:56:31 PM »
Neo-feudalism (literally new feudalism – the terms are used interchangeably in the literature[1]) refers to a theorized contemporary rebirth of policies of governance, economy, and public life[2] reminiscent of those present in many feudal societies, such as unequal rights and legal protections for common people and for nobility.

The concept of "neofeudalism" may focus on economics. Among the issues claimed to be associated with the idea of neofeudalism in contemporary society are class stratification, globalization, mass immigration/illegal immigration, open borders policies, multinational corporations, and "neo-corporatism".[3]

Huh? I agree.........I think.........maybe......
Fred

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 04:02:41 PM »
...would this impact anyone's decision to immigrate to the UK? I do think UK citizenship becomes less valuable if they are no longer an EU nation due to potential lack of freedom of movement.

Politically, I fear the consumer and worker protections go away, and the UK turns into another America, but with more rain and lousy customer service.  :(

I ask you why you think that UK Citizenship becomes less valuable?  Why do you think that the labour laws, consumer laws will not be still as strong as possible? 

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 05:05:23 PM »
I ask you why you think that UK Citizenship becomes less valuable?  Why do you think that the labour laws, consumer laws will not be still as strong as possible?
I don't trust the Tories to do anything that risks the profits of their spoiled rich kid buddies. And UKIP made it clear in their manifesto it's all about business.

But I think immigration policy says it all. As we all know the EU has much more respect for human rights, that our friends in the UK government. For example,if I married a woman from the continent, I could exercise EEA rights and move to the UK with her with little cost or hassle. But since I married a British woman, I am subject to the expensive, complex, and mean spirited immigration process. The fact that the EU treats its citizens much better than the UK treats its own tells me everything I need to know.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 05:39:42 PM »
I don't trust the Tories to do anything that risks the profits of their spoiled rich kid buddies. And UKIP made it clear in their manifesto it's all about business.

Tell it my brother!!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 10:39:54 AM »
Theoretically, If they vote Brexit then my family and I will have to leave.  Whenever I tell that to an out supporter, they always say something along the lines of "no not you, we'll let you stay (unspoken: you are rich and white, we wouldn't dream of kicking you out)

• Liked: 342
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 06:43:13 PM »

I take it that this hasn't made the news over there?

Protests in Germany to stop the trade agreement between the EU and the US

"The TTIP between the American continent and Europe is very dangerous for the democracy, for our nature and for the rights of the workers," protester Florian Rohrich told the BBC.

"The rights in America for workers are much lower. It's like the Trojan horse. They can't change our whole system. But they will - because TTIP is written by the groups, by the companies, not by the politicians," he added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36120560

"One of the main aims of TTIP is to open up Europe’s public health, education and water services to US companies. This could essentially mean the privatisation of the NHS."
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/what-is-ttip-and-six-reasons-why-the-answer-should-scare-you-9779688.html

Lots on google about it.

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 06:48:08 PM »
Theoretically, If they vote Brexit then my family and I will have to leave.  Whenever I tell that to an out supporter, they always say something along the lines of "no not you, we'll let you stay (unspoken: you are rich and white, we wouldn't dream of kicking you out)

In the event of Brexit, the proposal seems to be to let those using EU rules stay, but to bring these in line with many of the same rules as foreign nationals using UK immigration laws have.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 06:50:56 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 06:50:39 PM »
I take it that this hasn't made the news over there?

Protests in Germany to stop the trade agreement between the EU and the US

"The TTIP between the American continent and Europe is very dangerous for the democracy, for our nature and for the rights of the workers," protester Florian Rohrich told the BBC.

"The rights in America for workers are much lower. It's like the Trojan horse. They can't change our whole system. But they will - because TTIP is written by the groups, by the companies, not by the politicians," he added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36120560

"One of the main aims of TTIP is to open up Europe’s public health, education and water services to US companies. This could essentially mean the privatisation of the NHS."
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/what-is-ttip-and-six-reasons-why-the-answer-should-scare-you-9779688.html

Lots on google about it.

Sure it has. TTIP is AWFUL. But I don't think it passes in the EU. I think it's a foregone conclusion in Tori/UKIP Britain.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 06:52:27 PM »
Sure it has. TTIP is AWFUL. But I don't think it passes in the EU.

It's been on the table a long while and the EU have not kicked it into touch yet.

Some EU leaders have said that if the UK leaves, the EU  will have to accept the TTIP. That's why I think a Leave vote will bring in a better offer from the EU.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:07:48 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 09:30:03 AM »
In the event of Brexit, the proposal seems to be to let those using EU rules stay, but to bring these in line with many of the same rules as foreign nationals using UK immigration laws have.

Is that an actual policy of the leave campaign?  I haven't heard anything as specific as that, they seem to be actively dodging specific policies on what will happen to the millions of people who work here and the millions of Brits who work over there. 

From their point of view, specific answers to these questions are just going to highlight the fact that practical answers to these questions are not simple and they don't get better if we are out.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 12:27:07 PM »
Is that an actual policy of the leave campaign?  I haven't heard anything as specific as that, they seem to be actively dodging specific policies on what will happen to the millions of people who work here and the millions of Brits who work over there. 

Seems to be. 2.5 million Brits in the EU and about 3 or 4 times that in the UK under EU rules. It's a bit hard to judge as the UK government seems to have recorded immigration figures under the citizenship of that person, instead of dividing the UK figures into those on those on UK visas and those who used EU laws.

I still can't understand why you and your wife don't apply for your DCPRs as an insurance policy.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-a-document-certifying-permanent-residence-or-permanent-residence-card-form-eea-pr
When I told you before, that system had just started. The wait time is just going to get longer as time goes on.

Nothing is set in stone, even the offer the EU made to Cameron for the UK to stay. Watch the Question Time with him on it last week. What an idiot he made of himself. I can't see him or Osborne surviving a Leave vote unless he can use that to make the EU make a better offer and then get the UK to vote to stay. Watch the Question Time with Gove on it too.

TBH, if I was you, I would be more worried about the TTIP EU/US deal and the loss of the NHS in it's present form, than the Leave vote. You have automatically got PR in the UK and you work, you also have experience of US companies and a health service. Cameron is said to be in favour of the TTIP for the EU and therefore he won't veto it. Have a search on google, have a read and judge for yourself.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:02:43 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 01:14:57 PM »
Sirius, you are a person who knows a lot.  Are you sure you told me about that DPCR before?  You very well could have and I forgot to research it. 

I'm a bit busy at work, so I can't crack open the 18 page pdf to figure out if that card is useful, but I'll try later. 

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 02:48:09 PM »
I would be more worried about the TTIP EU/US deal and the loss of the NHS in it's present form, than the Leave vote.

I am not sure why these two things are being compared. They certainly aren't mutually exclusive.

If GB leaves....they will certainly seek to establish trade relations with the US along the lines of TTIP, only now as an isolated island, instead of as a leader of the World's biggest trading bloc. The US will clean Britain's clock....as it has in every deal since WWII.

But this is all silly talk, the Conservative Party intends on dismantling the NHS, and has been busy doing it by strangling it. They will do this whether in or out of the European Union, and regardless of TTIP.

Our best hope for the NHS is to stay in and lead the TTIP negotiations and reform the EU from within - which is of course what Jeremy Corbyn is advocating.

The problem isn't the EU at all....or immigrants....or even David Cameron in particular....but the Conservative Party.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab