Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: If Brexit Happens...  (Read 5595 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: If Brexit Happens...
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 04:53:31 AM »
Well cr@p
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 04:56:56 AM »
Great time to exchange some dollars though!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 05:40:26 AM »
How are you all dealing with this? I'm genuinely upset ... Part of my reason for being willing to join my fiance in England was that it's part of Europe. *bleep*. (But on the plus side, I can exchange our wedding gifts and not lose nearly as much!)

• Liked: 149
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 06:17:50 AM »
Kind of a plus/negative for me. My $ pension money will go further.....my savings in my work retirement will go up slower since it's linked to the 10 year treasury rate(but it will keep going up). My wife and I don't travel so there is no pain there. Bit of a shock though.
Fred

• Liked: 342
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2016, 07:36:44 AM »
How are you all dealing with this? I'm genuinely upset ... Part of my reason for being willing to join my fiance in England was that it's part of Europe. *bleep*.

Why? If it was for travel, then we travelled to Europe before we joined the EEA.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2016, 07:42:50 AM »
Why? If it was for travel, then we travelled to Europe before we joined the EEA.

It was because I'm genuinely afraid of your conservative government and the EU was somewhat keeping them in check, along with the freedom of movement to live and work in Europe after becoming a citizen.

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2016, 07:43:35 AM »
Bit of a shock though.

Yeah, at closing, the polls showed it was remain. As soon as those early counts from Newcastle and Sunderland came in, it started to look like it was going to be leave.

What about Wales! All the polls there showing they would be for Remain and it ended up with Wales voting to leave.

So much for the polls.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2016, 08:08:32 AM »
How are you all dealing with this? I'm genuinely upset ... Part of my reason for being willing to join my fiance in England was that it's part of Europe. *bleep*. (But on the plus side, I can exchange our wedding gifts and not lose nearly as much!)
Same. Without free movement through Europe, the UK loses its luster. Especially as this vote brought out so many of the anti-immigration crowd from under their rocks.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2016, 08:19:45 AM »
I'm genuinely worried. The pound is already down, stock market down 8% in minutes of it opening, and Farage said this morning that saying the EU money would go towards NHS was mialeading. Feel like it will get worse, way worse, before it gets better if it does get better.

If the people of Britain can fall for a campaign full of hate and lies, then I hope nobody moans at me if Trump ever got elected.

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2016, 08:28:55 AM »
It was because I'm genuinely afraid of your conservative government and the EU was somewhat keeping them in check, along with the freedom of movement to live and work in Europe after becoming a citizen.

Many of the votes to leave came from Labour stronghold areas. I stayed up all night to watch it. Wales is the only Labour run country out of the four countries that make up the UK and Wales voted to Leave, which was a massive shock to Labour from what they said last night/early hours of this morning.

I'm not sure that free movement would carry on in its present form anyway. When free movement first started, it was just for the citizens of EU countries and only if they worked. It has moved a long way from those intentions now, mainly because of rulings made by the European Court.

The Swiss have already had a national vote and the country voted to restrict the number of free movement migrants to their country. They were waiting on the result on the vote in the UK yesterday, before they decide what to do. Liechtenstein has imposed a cap on free movement migrants and will only let that limited number stay if they work. Even if they find a job, they can't stay if the cap has been reached.

In February this year, the President of the European Council hinted that free movement will change. The European Council is made up of all the leaders of the EU countries and it is this council who decides on free movement changes. This council have already spoken about amending EU law so that the European Court rulings on Free Movement could just be revoked.

With many EU countries in favour of returning to only letting EU citizens use free movement, even if the UK had voted to remain, you might not have been allowed to use free movement until you became an EU citizen; if there was still free movement then.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:43:40 AM by Sirius »

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2016, 09:00:42 AM »
Many of the votes to leave came from Labour stronghold areas. I stayed up all night to watch it.

I live in Lincolnshire, an area of the country with a high Eastern European population... and of the 9 areas in the UK which had more than 70% of votes going towards Leave, 7 of them were in Eastern England and the East Midlands (plus Lincoln voted 57% to leave and NE Lincolnshire voted 69.9% to leave), while the other 2 were in Essex.

Boston has the highest Eastern European population in the UK, and yesterday, it had the highest percentage of votes to leave (75.6%) of any area in the UK - a coincidence? I think not.

Even as I went to vote yesterday, there was a group of people standing outside the polling station talking about how immigration was the main problem with being part of the EU :(.

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2016, 09:25:53 AM »
Cameron has resigned as Prime Minister. He will be gone by October.
He should have stayed out of it as then he would have been able to stay.

Osborne and his threat of a punishment budget if the UK votes Leave, must know his career is over.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:32:38 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2016, 09:28:49 AM »
Now the French, Dutch and Italians are calling for their EU referendum too.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2016, 09:32:10 AM »

Sirius, I don't think you understand how much this freaks out Americans. Many of us were looking forward to our ability to travel the EU after getting our UK passports with ease, the ability to move to another country if we so chose with the ease we didn't get moving to the UK, the seeming stability provided by the EU.

There is strength in numbers, the UK is one tiny country. How long will London stay the centre of European trade now that it's not a part of the EU. How much business will the UK now lose from global companies wanting their factories in EU countries because it's easier?

Not to mention it shows how easily that terrible Orange Man running for president in the US could become president of the US this fall. No one wants that, but such a divisive vote leaves this more and more likely.

World... are you ready for that?!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 149
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2016, 10:02:26 AM »
If the people of Britain can fall for a campaign full of hate and lies, then I hope nobody moans at me if Trump ever got elected.

I'm not sure which side you are talking about......seems both sides were full of crap.

Without free movement through Europe, the UK loses its luster. Especially as this vote brought out so many of the anti-immigration crowd from under their rocks.

The question for me was "what do you mean by free movement?". I used an example with sonofasailor a few months ago about this. My example I think was, what happens if a place like Germany really zips along with jobs jobs jobs......then a whole lot of people are going to just move there since that is where the jobs are (duh). What happens to the health care system (and housing etc etc)?.....it gets absolutely pummelled. There needed to be some kind of a filtering system to allow movement.....but at a rate that the country can make adjustments without going into cardiac shock. Just having "free movement" sounds good until there is too much of it. Kind of like "free beer" until you finish that 5th pint and feel ill.....it sure started ok until you drank too much (I've never done that  ::).....

Sirius, I don't think you understand how much this freaks out Americans.

Not me. As usual.....some people will be affected more than others. We don't travel.....so easier traveling in the EU isn't a big deal. In or out of the EU.....it isn't going to be hard to travel. Harder?......maybe, but can't see it being much different, countries want people to travel since it is a source of money....and money talks the loudest.

There is strength in numbers, the UK is one tiny country.

The UK is ranked 5th in the world for GDP......

Not to mention it shows how easily that terrible Orange Man running for president in the US could become president of the US this fall. No one wants that, but such a divisive vote leaves this more and more likely.

I agree that Trump is a nut case (I don't think Clinton is a whole lot better choice)......but I think you are not able to see why people are voting for him. People are sick and tired of the "same old thing" with the politicians and are willing to vote for him if it breaks up what they see (and me as well) as a corrupt system getting steadily worse. Ifffffff I were voting anymore.....neither is a decent choice, but I can understand (although I don't like it) how people would vote for Trump

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:05:46 AM by F4mandolin »
Fred

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab