Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: rejected for car insurance??  (Read 751 times)

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
rejected for car insurance??
« on: June 18, 2016, 09:20:24 PM »
Hi all, a few months ago I got some insurance quotes from Aviva, because they were willing to accept a no-claims letter from our US insurance company. Due to a number of reasons, we haven't bought a car yet, but are very close to doing so now. I called back today to get a new quote and was told they couldn't give me one due to their "risk assessment." The only thing that has changed is that we've moved to a new house (in a nicer neighborhood)! The agent I talked to couldn't give me a reason for the refusal, but it seems a bit ridiculous that moving to a new, better location would make me "high risk." I do have a slight ding on my US credit that I'm sorting out, but it's my understanding that a UK company wouldn't look at US credit (especially since they never asked for my SSN or anything). Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or other car insurance companies they might recommend?

• Liked: 342
Re: rejected for car insurance??
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 11:21:54 AM »
I do have a slight ding on my US credit that I'm sorting out, but it's my understanding that a UK company wouldn't look at US credit (especially since they never asked for my SSN or anything). Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or other car insurance companies they might recommend?

That would have to be declared. They don't check if you fill the form in correctly as they are happy to take your money, but if you make a claim then they will check that you declared everything. If you didn't declare everything, then they don't pay out. There will be a question on there along the lines of past accidents. Or if online, look at the T&Cs and they will mention this too.

In your situation, I would use an insurance broker and let them do the leg work for you.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 01:16:27 PM »
Admiral has been good to me since relocating.

Sirius, I think she meant she has a blemish on her credit report not a past insurance claim.  I could be wrong though.

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 02:11:11 PM »
Oh yeah, I meant a credit issue. Which actually turned out to be nothing, my credit is fine (whew!) In the end, after days of stress, it turned out that the problem was that the guy I talked to at Aviva wrongly refused to acknowledge my no-claims history from the States, and the rejections were because I didn't have a long enough driving history in the US. I talked to another woman here and she sorted it! So I'm picking up my car tomorrow! :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »
Oh yeah, I meant a credit issue. Which actually turned out to be nothing, my credit is fine (whew!) In the end, after days of stress, it turned out that the problem was that the guy I talked to at Aviva wrongly refused to acknowledge my no-claims history from the States, and the rejections were because I didn't have a long enough driving history in the US. I talked to another woman here and she sorted it! So I'm picking up my car tomorrow! :)

That's great! I love a happy ending. ;D

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 12:46:10 PM »

I am happy for you that everything was sorted out.  I have found that if you find the person  you are dealing with in the call centre is not helpful I hang up and try someone else who might be more knowledgable.  It is not because they are horrid at their job but dependant upon how long they have worked for the company it might be they do not know everything yet.   

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab