Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can my husband travel visa free to a EU/Schengen area on a BRP?  (Read 2084 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Can my husband travel visa free to a EU/Schengen area on a BRP?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2016, 08:43:26 PM »
That sounds dangerous. I'm staying away from that.

Really? The melting middle cakes are so nice! They're super popular in the states too. Applebee's has one as a signature dessert. (my mom loves it)
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2016, 09:16:58 PM »
Yeah fair point, I think what I'll do is just pick a few things like eiffel and just walk around :-). Gives us an excuse to visit again

My first trip to Paris was 23 hours.  Arrived via Eurostar at something like 5 pm, and departed at 4 pm the next day.  That probably doesn't count as a "day trip" per se, but depending on train times and your intentions, you could probably get a good taste/feel for the city in that timeframe. For the evening we arrived, I had booked a dinner cruise along the Seine and it was lovely, particularly when we cruised past the Eiffel tower all lit up.  The next day I foraged for breakfast at a nearby butchers and bakery, and ended up with some pretty incredible pate, cheese, baguette, and croissants.  We then managed to do a decent amount of wandering around the city, but had our own particularly entertaining impromptu and lengthy photo shoot in the grounds of the Louvre.

I've been back since, but think I actually prefer a short sweet visit like this.  Less time for the French-ness of the people in France to start to get to me.  ;)

If it helps, this is the dinner cruise I booked: Calife (note: I think I remember having to do some sort of confirmation of payment over the phone in French, but I worked with three Frenchies at the time so just got one of them to translate)

Also - I wasn't sure if it's completely clear to you from the previous posts:  he will need to bring both his Passport (to enter other countries in Europe) and his BRP (to re-enter the UK).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:18:33 PM by PickledSakura »
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2016, 03:42:43 PM »
My favourite cheese based French dish is called Raclette.  They get a giant half circle of cheese and put it in a special holder that has a heating element positioned just over the business end of the cheese.  It cooks the top layer.  Meanwhile, you put some ham, potatoes and picked on your plate.  Then you scrape the layer of cheese onto your plate with a wooden tool and eat it up. 

The first time I ever had it, my wife went to the bathroom and the heater fell on to the cheese and started a fire.  Of course, the French waiters completely ignored me .   

I'm still up for some cake frosting. 

• Liked: 223
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2016, 04:01:24 PM »
My favourite cheese based French dish is called Raclette.  They get a giant half circle of cheese and put it in a special holder that has a heating element positioned just over the business end of the cheese.  It cooks the top layer.  Meanwhile, you put some ham, potatoes and picked on your plate.  Then you scrape the layer of cheese onto your plate with a wooden tool and eat it up.

I agree raclette is delicious, but just like fondue, raclette is a Swiss dish. ::)

Sounds like we should all go to Switzerland rather than France! ;)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 8
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2016, 05:49:44 PM »
Oooh la la PickledSakura that sounds like an amazing time I think I definitely want to do this for him now haha! Also thank you il make sure i pack his passport and brp! So excited to book now haha.

Omg raclette sounds like heaven! I think ive realised that I'm just badly craving cheese and bread (damn healthy living and it's boringness!).

Switzerland looks so tempting too especially if all the good food is originating there! Shall we all get together and organise a first ukyankee trip! ❤️

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2016, 06:06:31 PM »
There's plenty of bread and cheese in France, but the cheese isn't normally melty. You might try a croque monsieur. It's like a ham and cheese toasty but the good ones have cheese melted over the top. They can be amazing. Also anything described as gratinée will have melty cheese.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 533
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2016, 06:35:06 PM »
the heater fell on to the cheese and started a fire.  Of course, the French waiters completely ignored me .   

Look Paul, the Americain has set fire to the cheese....haw haw. Let's watch him from behind the trellis.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2016, 07:37:45 PM »
One of my most memorable dining experiences ever was at Le Refuge des Fondus in Montmarte.

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2016, 09:47:22 PM »
One of my most memorable dining experiences ever was at Le Refuge des Fondus in Montmarte.

Just the name of that restaurant sounds so damn appetising ❤️. Also i love the fact that my hubby doesn't have a clue what's going on. I even brought home some french snacks after work to lowkey hint around it but he was none the wiser mwahaha

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2016, 01:52:17 PM »
My all time favourite French restaurant thing is called "Cafe Gourmande".   (Traveling Frog, if this is Swiss I don't care) you order it after a meal, it's a double shot of espresso with a little taste of all the deserts they are serving that night.  Yum yum. 

I got married in France.   For the wedding,  they caught a wild Boar and cooked him in s stew for 2 days in a wood fired pizza oven.  Our wedding lasted 3 days and some part of that pig made it to the table for every meal. 

Last month we went back to the same place and cooked bread with our kids, 22 years later. 

• Liked: 223
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2016, 02:47:49 PM »
My all time favourite French restaurant thing is called "Cafe Gourmande".   (Traveling Frog, if this is Swiss I don't care) you order it after a meal, it's a double shot of espresso with a little taste of all the deserts they are serving that night.  Yum yum. 

I approve. ;D

Not Swiss, but the espresso sounds a bit Italian and the whole thing has a whiff of English afternoon tea.  ;)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2016, 10:22:49 PM »

I got married in France.   For the wedding,  they caught a wild Boar and cooked him in s stew for 2 days in a wood fired pizza oven.  Our wedding lasted 3 days and some part of that pig made it to the table for every meal. 

Last month we went back to the same place and cooked bread with our kids, 22 years later.

That sounds amazing! Im so glad you experienced that. So romantic I'm going to have a wedding ceremony on our first year wedding anniversary and i hope it's as romantic as yours ❤️❤️

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2016, 09:28:45 AM »
Thank you!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab