Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone with Great experience moving  (Read 427 times)

• Liked: 1
Anyone with Great experience moving
« on: June 22, 2016, 05:26:32 PM »
Read / here a lot of challenges people have had on this forum with relo from US - UK. That is natural and completely understand (med care not as good, expensive,weather is bad, etc). Many of those tips have been extremely helpful and honesty is always best policy. But with several million ex pats living there and more going every year there has to be a reason! So please tell my wife and I all the great times we are going to have as we start our new life in Glasgow. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 18
Re: Anyone with Great experience moving
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 06:16:47 PM »
I can't say much about Glasgow as I've never been, but England is beautiful. You get used to the weather, and come to truly appreciate the nice days when they happen. There is so much history around you, I found it fascinating. We found it was so much easier to have a spontaneous adventure in the UK than it is in the US as well. We live in the Midwest, where a car is required to go pretty much anywhere at all. Flights are so expensive here, and everything is far away. In England it only took a few hours to go to a totally different part of the country.

It really depends on where your interests lie, but I really enjoyed the beaches, and staying in a caravan. My English husband thinks it's funny how much I loved the caravan part, but it's so different to anything here in the US.

Fish and chips! That doesn't even need any explanation. ;) Also, I know the UK has a reputation for bland and boring food, but that's not the case at all.

Buskers. Maybe it's just because I'm from a podunk town in the middle of nowhere that makes me enjoy them, but I absolutely loved going into the centre of Bath and hearing the musicians, seeing the cobble roads, the old, old buildings, everyone walking around, the little shops tucked away in the alleys.

The fact that milk is still delivered by real milkmen.

And the people I met were really nice. A lot of them thought it was great that I was an American, and in the entire time I was there, I think there were maybe 3 people I met who weren't friendly and welcoming (and two of them were teenagers). I actually still keep in touch with my coworkers from when I lived there.

I would like to just mention re: healthcare, I didn't have too many issues. I never had a long wait to get an appointment, and the care I received was great. I had a baby while in the UK, and I actually preferred the hands-off approach to maternity care there. I was allowed to go home 3 hours (yes, 3!) after giving birth, which I was so thankful for.

It is expensive, especially housing. But where we are currently living housing is expensive too, so I'm used to that. If you have children, their clothes and shoes aren't taxed, and legally school uniforms have to be affordable for all families. 
Moved to the UK April 2006
Married March 2007
Moved to the U.S. June 2009

Husband accepted new job in UK April 2016
Returning to UK Aug/Sept 2016!

Moved from UK-Germany 2022

• Liked: 533
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 06:46:20 PM »
If you take the bus into town on a Saturday...you can have a drink or two without worrying about getting home.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 585
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 06:50:50 PM »
So please tell my wife and I all the great times we are going to have as we start our new life in Glasgow. Thank you

Hiya...
I moved from California to Glasgow in 1985.  I currently live in Helensburgh, which is about 25 miles away, but we are in Glasgow pretty much every weekend and some weeknights to hang out with our friends.

Without knowing anything about you or your likes/dislikes, etc, it's kind of hard to tell you about the good times you're in for!  Glasgow is a big city with lots of nice areas, but also quite a few hellish ones.  Hopefully you will be in a good bit, with a reasonable wage which will allow you to really enjoy the excellent pubs, cafes, shops, restaurants, etc that abound in Glasgow.  Too bad you're not here now... our real ale festival starts tomorrow!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Good luck with your move!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 08:03:10 PM »
I moved over to Derbyshire in England 2 years ago. I've really enjoyed my time! I'm sure things will be even better in a big city. I live in a small city and that drives me nuts a bit... Though you can get to most exciting places within an hour!

I find the healthcare here a helluva lot better then the US. I can easily make an appointment with my GP within a week for normal run of the mill things, if it's an emergency I can be seen that day. Any medications are under 9 GBP for ANY prescription. I am getting help with the migraines I've had since I was 7 years old and it's not bankrupting me to do so. Yes, there are waits for things. That's the only negative I see.

There is history literally everywhere. The house I live in how was built in 1885 and there are some lovely Stately homes nearby.

I love that groceries can be delivered! My husband has been having a Crohn's flare up and this has really saved me from having to ask other people for help or to pay a taxi to take me. And the food that is picked out is just as good as what I would have picked... most of the time. They don't always pick the best raspberries... haha.

If she has some American TV shows she likes, they may actually be on normal TV. You can get a lot of American foods either online or at kiosks here in the UK, so tastes of home should be something she can get!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:28:44 PM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 12:08:52 AM »
Love it thank you for all the great vibes!! Can't wait

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 01:02:12 PM »
I've really enjoyed my 3.5 years back in the UK.

The weather isn't a problem, it never gets too hot and we have seasons!

Public transport, low cost flights to Europe, and being able to walk to shops, restaurants and pubs are a major plus.

Food isn't expensive, the NHS is free at point of service and, as of next week, I get free prescriptions as a 60 year old.

There are many, many reasons why I love living in the UK, and why I'm going to retire here after a short stint back in the US.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 02:01:15 PM »
You will be only a few hours from Oban, which is where all the ferries leave to go to the Outer Hebrides.  All that area is stunningly beautiful and the ferry rides are like nothing anywhere else in the world.   We saw Dolphins and basking sharks. 

On the other hand, look up "Glasgow Kiss" to see what else is special about Glasgow.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 06:15:01 PM »
Any medications are under 9 GBP for ANY prescription.

And prescription medicines are free in Scotland.  :)

Sponsored Links