Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Post-referendum rant: Now Britons, not Americans seen as "dumb voters."  (Read 3203 times)

• Liked: 15
I'm sure you've all seen those clips of British people who voted to leave the EU without realising their votes would count. And how other voters only started googling what the EU even is, after they voted against the referendum.

I'm devastated by the result. But at least for a while, another nation has taken over America's reputation as the "home of the low-information, dangerous voter."

http://expatclaptrap.com/now-know-feels-like-whole-world-think-youre-stupid/

Sorry, I should add that I don't think Britons are "dumb" any more than I think Americans are. I'm just frustrated at the result and observant of how this has affected perceptions.

• Liked: 149
I'm sure you've all seen those clips of British people who voted to leave the EU without realising their votes would count. And how other voters only started googling what the EU even is, after they voted against the referendum.

I'm devastated by the result. But at least for a while, another nation has taken over America's reputation as the "home of the low-information, dangerous voter."

I think you will find that there is another equal side to this way of thinking. The same people who voted for Remain also most likely didn't really know what the EU does either. I have found not too many people at all (including me) pay attention/or know what the EU really does. Lots and lots of false articles etc out there......some are true, some aren't and if you don't do a little research it's easy to get wrong info......but that's true about a whole lot of things. Think Fox news......or to a lesser and opposite view MSNBC. Both are very one sided with their reporting but many many people just believe what they see/hear on these sites.

My wife voted Leave.....if I had been able to vote I would have just barely voted Remain (and I mean barely).

This new online referendum request is silly. What if there were another referendum......and Remain wins.......do the Leave people then get another referendum going to try and get things back the other way? It never ends...... Heck, what if all the young people who could have voted did vote? If if if if but but but. It was advertised ahead of time as whoever got the most votes wins..........

Technically the vote didn't go the way I wanted, but I will live with it......no.....actually I will deal with it and try to make the best of it. There are all kinds of things in this world I would like to change to what I think is in the best way....others will always disagree......which is a good thing or things would be really boring.
Fred

I think you may be right about many "remain" voters not always having enough information either.

I don't think anyone is necessarily stupid though. I just wish people voted less on emotion, and more based on policies and outcomes.

I see it in the USA all the time, with people talking about how they "don't like" Hilary, like it's a popularity contest. It's just rather disheartening to see this kind of tribalistic voting here in the UK, which was always seen as a bastion of well-informed citizens (compared to the image of the US).

• Liked: 13
I have to admit, I am feeling a bit of relief that Britons are getting back a lot of what they dish out, America bashing is a national sport for them. And as I've mentioned before on this forum, I hear so much anti-american comments, almost on a weekly basis...well not this week. And I do know some Leave voters and they are so offended that people are viewing them as dumb and racist. You know what they say about karma...

I feel bad that this vote has opened up the divisions in this country (and I do think they've always been there) but I also think Leave voters played with fire and are getting burned. When you vote on a message that basically says "We don't want you here" or "My national pride is more important than anyone else's finances" it's a bit naive to say the least that people aren't going to react negatively.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:48:22 AM by Lalala75 »

• Liked: 149
but I also think Leave voters played with fire and are getting burned.

Details? So far I don't see one side or another getting burned. I wouldn't expect to see anything as far as being "burned" for months to come. The stock market took a quick turn down (like it sometimes does anyway).....now it's come back up a bit. The Pound has dropped.....but it's arguable whether that is good or bad (certainly good for me)....it makes exports a lot better, and more tourists will be coming....food prices may increase, but that's yet to be seen. The world hasn't ended.....and I won't even think of making a decision on whether it was the right move or not for at least 6 months.....maybe a year or more and I think people need to give things a chance before jumping on the gloom and doom wagon. Most articles I have read seem to indicate a good 2-3 years before a decent opinion can be given.
Fred

I mean socially. This campaign has been so divisive that you would expect a leave vote would (actually either way, this referendum in general was a divisive idea) to infuriate people on both sides. No matter what happens with the economy, this for sure has people on both sides furious

• Liked: 5
I have to admit, I am feeling a bit of relief that Britons are getting back a lot of what they dish out, America bashing is a national sport for them. And as I've mentioned before on this forum, I hear so much anti-american comments, almost on a weekly basis...well not this week. And I do know some Leave voters and they are so offended that people are viewing them as dumb and racist. You know what they say about karma...

I agree with this. I spoke to a Remain voter who was (rightly) very upset with some of the bold racism he's seen since the vote. But he showed more distress and embarrassment about about the world 'thinking this is the real Britain' and other countries 'thinking less of the UK' than he did about the actual racist acts. It was difficult not to point out that we deal with this all the time, to the point that people think it's acceptable to open a conversation with 'You know what's wrong with America/Americans'. Every country has citizens that are racist/terrible human beings. If Germany's managed to overcome it's post-WWII reputation this too shall pass.

I agree with the above about the google searches. I'm sure there are plenty of Remain voters who are googling 'What happens if we leave the EU' simply because they never considered it a possibility. I've heard people bemoaning the fact that they won't get to go on holiday to Europe now :/

The one thing that has struck me about the reaction to the result that I wasn't anticipating is the way everyone is being hysterical about the prospects of EU migrants having to move/lose jobs/apply for a visa. I can sympathize with the devastation of what is essentially having a citizenship stripped away, but at the same time, we've all managed to go through the visa process, travel, work, study, live abroad. It hasn't been a walk in the park but living outside the EU hasn't stopped us from seeing the world. Brexit isn't the apocalypse. It's just less convenient. Plenty of non-EU immigrants have had to leave businesses, friends and lives behind or be separated from their spouses and children due to the tightening visa restrictions, but no one ever notices.

I understand being upset, but the cries of how "our children's futures are destroyed", "these hard working people will be deported" (complete with photos of NHS staff no doubt whose professions would all be on the shortage occupation list if necessary), "this is a heartbreaking and cruel thing to do to people", are just hitting a slight nerve. Especially when I see it from people who have been through the visa system, know better, and are still fanning the flames of panic. Panic is the last thing Britain needs more of right now :(

• Liked: 111
I agree with this. I spoke to a Remain voter who was (rightly) very upset with some of the bold racism he's seen since the vote. But he showed more distress and embarrassment about about the world 'thinking this is the real Britain' and other countries 'thinking less of the UK' than he did about the actual racist acts. It was difficult not to point out that we deal with this all the time, to the point that people think it's acceptable to open a conversation with 'You know what's wrong with America/Americans'. Every country has citizens that are racist/terrible human beings. If Germany's managed to overcome it's post-WWII reputation this too shall pass.

I agree with the above about the google searches. I'm sure there are plenty of Remain voters who are googling 'What happens if we leave the EU' simply because they never considered it a possibility. I've heard people bemoaning the fact that they won't get to go on holiday to Europe now :/

The one thing that has struck me about the reaction to the result that I wasn't anticipating is the way everyone is being hysterical about the prospects of EU migrants having to move/lose jobs/apply for a visa. I can sympathize with the devastation of what is essentially having a citizenship stripped away, but at the same time, we've all managed to go through the visa process, travel, work, study, live abroad. It hasn't been a walk in the park but living outside the EU hasn't stopped us from seeing the world. Brexit isn't the apocalypse. It's just less convenient. Plenty of non-EU immigrants have had to leave businesses, friends and lives behind or be separated from their spouses and children due to the tightening visa restrictions, but no one ever notices.

I understand being upset, but the cries of how "our children's futures are destroyed", "these hard working people will be deported" (complete with photos of NHS staff no doubt whose professions would all be on the shortage occupation list if necessary), "this is a heartbreaking and cruel thing to do to people", are just hitting a slight nerve. Especially when I see it from people who have been through the visa system, know better, and are still fanning the flames of panic. Panic is the last thing Britain needs more of right now :(

Thank you, NewMeetsOldEngland! I couldn't have said it better myself

• Liked: 585
I have to admit, I am feeling a bit of relief that Britons are getting back a lot of what they dish out

Charming.

• Liked: 6

Let me ask you a question.

How do you think it would go down in the USA if your president announced the following:

The USA is entering a trade deal with the other countries of the Americas - Canada, Mexico and the rest of central America. Trade will be mainly free, though of course this means in both directions and so a lot of USA manufacturing will simply have to close. But, hey we will get free trade to all these countries.

Now, as part of the deal, we will have to pay. Billions per year, which we might get some back, but if we do, we will have to spend it as we are told to - but hey, they might be better at deciding what we spend it on anyway.

Now, as part of the deal, a new parliament will be created in Mexico City. Now, this means of course that this new parliament - mainly made up of none americans, will have to power to pass laws that will be enforceable in the USA. It also means of course that the new parliament will be superior to Congress and the House of Representatives, but, don't worry, you will be allowed to have a few new guys in the new place.

Of course, this means some new legal frame work, so, we are scrapping the Supreme Court as the most senior court in the country, and instead, a court in Toronto will be our senior court.

Now of course it also means that everyone from any country in the region can live anywhere they want within the region. Isnt that great! You can go and live in Cuba! Or even Haiti! Of course, they might all come here, and it might well cause wages to go down and a few other things. But, hey guys, you can move to Haiti!

@Verystormy Sorry but these senarios are just plain wrong. This is not how the EU and UK relationship worked. I think you are the one of many who believed in the lies the Leave campaign were peddling. With all the lies that are being uncovered now, you should know better.

@NewMeetsOldEngland I had a similar senario. A leave voter was very upset and when asked about the racial abuse some are now suffering, didn't seem all that disturbed by it and at the same time, managed to bash other countries while saying people should stop talking bad about the UK! I wanted to say, "Really, you don't see the double standard???"
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 09:15:08 AM by Lalala75 »

@Verystormy and what would be wrong if people from Cuba, Haiti did come over to the US? This is the problem i have with all this, that some people "should" and "shouldn't" be over here. We're all immigrants at the end of the day. For the record, this makes me mad with both countries. Just like Mexicans shouldnt be in the US. Makes me furious

• Liked: 111
For the record, this makes me mad with both countries. Just like Mexicans shouldnt be in the US. Makes me furious
Um, what's wrong with Mexicans in the US? Remember, there is a word you are missing and that's ILLEGAL immigrants. That word makes a big difference!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab