Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: son traveling internationally with grandparents  (Read 768 times)

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
son traveling internationally with grandparents
« on: June 29, 2016, 02:37:23 PM »
My husband is traveling back to the US for a wedding (sadly I will be too pregnant to come along) and is going to bring our toddler. He'll then come back a week later, alone, with our son coming back to the UK with his grandparents the following week. Has anyone done this before? I'm sure we will need some kind of documentation showing that we his parents consent to this, but I haven't had any luck figuring out what it might be yet.

• Liked: 6
Re: son traveling internationally with grandparents
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 03:18:02 PM »
My husband is traveling back to the US for a wedding (sadly I will be too pregnant to come along) and is going to bring our toddler. He'll then come back a week later, alone, with our son coming back to the UK with his grandparents the following week. Has anyone done this before? I'm sure we will need some kind of documentation showing that we his parents consent to this, but I haven't had any luck figuring out what it might be yet.

Make sure he has a US passport or he might have trouble at the border.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 03:54:22 PM »
When I've travelled with my daughter without my husband, he writes a letter of consent and signs it and I carry a copy of his passport (signatures match).  I've not been asked for it, but easy to have with me in case.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 11:21:51 AM »
I've taken other people's children across the UK border a few times, and it did help to have a letter from the parents saying everything was OK.  Surprisingly trouble free!

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 02:15:45 PM »
Thanks for this advice, yall. I've got a sample letter of consent from the State Department, which suggests we "may want to have it notarized." Have you done that? I'll definitely do it if I need to but I'd rather not spend that much money - I had no idea notaries were so expensive over here!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 05:19:52 PM »
Thanks for this advice, yall. I've got a sample letter of consent from the State Department, which suggests we "may want to have it notarized." Have you done that? I'll definitely do it if I need to but I'd rather not spend that much money - I had no idea notaries were so expensive over here!

I haven't and won't have it notarised in the future.  I have him sign a letter and take a photocopy of his passport.  I haven't needs it before but fee confident it would be sufficient. 

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 11:19:54 AM »
I'd think that more important than getting that paper notorized is for the paper to have mobile phone numbers on it, and for the relevant people to be ready to talk to the border guards when they call.  Once we had a 14 year old visitor who was travelling by himself across the border.  The border guards called me and his parents to check everything.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab