Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone else have a hard time alone with kids?  (Read 2820 times)

• Liked: 18
Anyone else have a hard time alone with kids?
« on: June 30, 2016, 07:18:33 PM »
My journey is almost over I hope, less than a month. But I have an autistic 9 year old, an incredibly lazy 15 year old, a borderline autistic 4 year old, and a clingy toddler. Plus the pets. Some days are ok. Other days I don't know how I will make it through until the next.

I've tried talking to family and friends, but none of them have ever been through this process, so they don't get it, and seem to prefer I not tell them I'm miserable.
Moved to the UK April 2006
Married March 2007
Moved to the U.S. June 2009

Husband accepted new job in UK April 2016
Returning to UK Aug/Sept 2016!

Moved from UK-Germany 2022

• Liked: 533
Re: Anyone else have a hard time alone with kids?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 07:46:30 PM »
I only have one, great kid.....but parenting damnear killed me. The before and after photos are telling.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 10:34:06 AM »
I think every parent gets overwhelmed sometimes and you are brave for posting this. 

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 10:35:13 AM »
I agree, I have only one toddler (with another on the way) and I'm still exhausted. I'm sorry you're feeling overwhelmed. Do you have any non-child time to yourself? I've found that to be essential to my mental wellbeing. Even if it's just yoga one evening a week.

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 09:54:17 PM »
I TOTALLY understand what you're going through.. I have an amazing, autistic 11 year old daughter and we've just found out we're expecting #2. The first 2 years of living here were undeniably hard, it's only the last 6 months that I have finally been able to turn things around for myself. I used to call my friends and family back home a lot to cry and complain about every difference (good or bad) and how homesick I was. After awhile I could tell no one back home understood what I was going through and the level of support I used to get living back in the states, I didn't have here. It's not an easy road, but I'm a firm believer that you have to create your own happiness. I have 2 jobs, I stay active, I'm making some great connections at work and my daughter seems to be adjusting to life here a bit better. If you ever need to vent or talk, I'm around. Hugs, it gets better! :)
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 03:04:16 AM »
I used to be on my own with the children, only 2 so goodness knows what it would have been like with 4, so I take my hat off to you! While we were waiting to immigrate to the US my husband was away for 1 month and home for 1 week for 12 months, that was an interesting time to say the least. After we immigrated he got sent back to the UK to work, sometimes for a month at a time, for our first year! Thursday evenings were the worst, when we were in the UK I'd send the oldest one out to get fish and chips, cry in the loo for 5 mins while the other one watched Blue Peter, and then enjoy a meal that I didn't cook.

Hang on in there, you'll all be together soon  :)

Sponsored Links