Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pokemon Go on your mobile  (Read 2289 times)

• Liked: 537
Pokemon Go on your mobile
« on: July 09, 2016, 12:48:55 AM »
So I downloaded Pokemon Go today on my mobile and it's ridiculously fun. Well, it is while the servers are up! It's only been released in the North America, AUS and NZ so I had to download it from somewhere on the Internet.

The big issue is the servers crash during prime US and EU time clashes. Considering its summer vacation in the US, that's around 4.30pm.

Anyone else looking into the game?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 533
Re: Pokemon Go on your mobile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 09:30:19 AM »
Well , that's a coincidence, I am watching an episode of the original anime right now.

/Team rocket
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:31:51 AM by sonofasailor »
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 09:58:48 AM »
I never got to watch it. We didn't have satellite or cable when I was a kid.

If it wasn't pouring down rain I'don't go out after pokemon... but i'very caught a zubat and squirtle just sitting on my couch.

Edited cause of autocorrect on a pokemon name.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:13:12 AM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 10:03:11 AM »
If it wasn't pouring down rain I'don't go out after pokemon... but i'very caught a zubat and squiggle just sitting on my couch.

Okay...I'm intrigued! How on earth does this work?!

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 10:11:08 AM »
Okay...I'm intrigued! How on earth does this work?!
Well, it's not technically released in the UK yet so you have to change your iTunes region or download it off the Internet if you have Android.

To catch a wide variety of Pokemon you need to actually go wander outside. It uses GPS to know whwre you are and to pipulaye the world. You don't battles with wild pokemon like in the gameboy games.

There are gyms and spots to pick up eggs and other items. It's been fun! It only works when the servers aren't overloaded, which is when the US wakes up... haha. It was only released a few days ago.

I think it would be better if I was in a city rather than where I am. *sigh*

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 10:27:53 AM »
Ah, I was wondering what it was - it's been popping up on my FB and Twitter feeds the last couple of days as friends of mine have started playing :P.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 10:30:39 AM »
I'm not very techno savvy and don't use iTunes. Guess I'll have to learn!

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 10:40:33 AM »
I'm not very techno savvy and don't use iTunes. Guess I'll have to learn!

What kind if phone do you have? It hasn't actually been released here in the UK yet so you'don't have to do a work around...

It's an app in the app store of either iPhone or Android. It's not available on any other mobile operating system.

If you have an iPhone you'do have to have a North American or Australian account to get it.

For Android you can download and install it off of the Internet. I got the link to it from wired. I had to change a security settings to get it, which I promptly turned back on after installing.

I've been catching pokemon fromantic my couch sInce the weather isn't very nice.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 10:44:08 AM »
Ah, I was wondering what it was - it's been popping up on my FB and Twitter feeds the last couple of days as friends of mine have started playing :P.

It's been fun so far! It doesn't play like the gameboy games at all, but it's the original 150 pokemon from Red&Blue (Technically green too but that was only released in japan. Or yellow, but that came out later than the the others)

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 11:47:33 AM »
I'm on Android.

It sounds like something that would motivate me to go for a walk more often to be honest, haha!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 12:50:15 PM »

To catch a wide variety of Pokemon you need to actually go wander outside. It uses GPS to know whwre you are and to pipulaye the world.

It sounds like something that would motivate me to go for a walk more often to be honest, haha!

It actually sounds a bit Big Brother to me...

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 01:15:55 PM »
It actually sounds a bit Big Brother to me...

It's PokeStops and gyms are based off a game called Ingress, which is all that game's user created stops.

And larrabee, you do know that if you have a smart phone you can be tracked anyway without apps like this.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/427687/if-you-have-a-smart-phone-anyone-can-now-track-your-every-move/

I remember when this was first brought to light with apple. I had only had my first iphone for a little while.
http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+is+Tracking+iPhone+iPad+Users+Location+Easily+Mapped+With+OS+X+App/article21429.htm

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 01:31:04 PM »
I'm on Android.

You're in a more urban area so you would get a better experience with the game then I can. :) I'm still having fun with it.

If you don't want to wait for the UK release, considering they haven't even put out any tentative dates, you can download it here.

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/niantic-inc/pokemon-go/pokemon-go-0-29-0-release/pokemon-go-0-29-0-android-apk-download/

You'd have to change a security setting on your phone that will allow you to install it since it's not from the Play Store, but the most complicated thing about that is finding what you have to turn on (or off) to do it. Then simple turn it back the other way to put your phone back to it's current security. My husband knows his tech and he said it's a legit and safe place to download it from. I joined reddit just so I could have access to other people's knowledge of how the game works. haha

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 01:11:44 PM »
I got it today!

I was quickly prompted to take a walk around the neighborhood.

I was about to sign up for a gym but now I'm thinking why when I just have Pokemon Go! So. Addicting.

• Liked: 1891
Pokemon Go on your mobile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 02:16:23 PM »
I was reading up on some of the conspiracy theories about this game.  They are pretty scary, but not that much more than anything else with your phone that you could easily get worked up about. 

Still, it's bizarre that this game could very easily be used to track almost the entire population of developed countries, as well as collect images from all over the world on a scale bigger than Google Street View, including inside houses and buildings.

I'm sure I'll still play it when it comes out, but I'll try to limit the information my phone provides when I'm not playing.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 02:19:06 PM by jimbocz »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab