Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dog poo  (Read 1839 times)

• Liked: 149
Dog poo
« on: July 10, 2016, 10:41:32 AM »
Actually.....not so much the poo...it's the slime-balls that pick it up because someone might be watching and then drop it back on the trail......too never decompose.
Fred

• Liked: 537
Re: Dog poo
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 12:19:06 PM »
Some people are horrible, I hate to see bags tossed into trees.

I'm one of the people who will set a poo bag off to the side of one of the paths we walk to pick up later. There is only one trash can in the local national forest area and it's at only one of the entrances. We do a loop and pick it up on our way home.

With two sighthounds, one of which is known to go haring off for no discernable reason, a poo bag could get dropped, ripped, or cause me to miss catching the runner if I carry it the entire way. Especially when it happens within the first 5 minutes when the dogs are still on leads.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
This and parking on pavements are the two big things people in my village complain about most. In a way that's a good thing, but I sometimes start rumours of coming traveller encampments just to add a little variety.

I can't stand pets....I mean as far as me having one....but I hear they can be beneficial....but if you look at it another way, dealing with human poo is a lot bigger world concern than Fido's small leavings. It might not be perched on the trail but it does go somewhere when you flush.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 68
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 01:39:22 PM »
I can't believe the amount of dog poo I come across here while out and about actually. On one hand I think it's just downright laziness. But on the other hand I think it's a lack of bins in public places like lyonaria pointed out. I don't drive so I walk everywhere and many times if I had any trash, I just had to stuff it in my purse until I got home because I wouldn't pass a trash can anywhere. Of course I wouldn't want to do that with a poo bag!

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »
They are pretty good here with poo bins....they just put in a few more in the immediate area so you don't have to walk very far before there is another one. Doesn't seem to make any difference. There is a small spot of grass just up the road from us that we take the dogs to in the evening before going to bed. We always pick up any mess....but others don't. I got "sorta" yelled at by a lady who lives right next to the grass and just told her that my wife and I pick up our messes.....and then I pointed at 3 houses that I know don't pick up. One of those ladies (who I'm assuming did get yelled at now walks her dog to the bottom of the road where the trails start.....and I believe lets her dog poo there on the trail instead since she comes right back. People who don't like to pick up......well.....as Buckaroo Banzai says "No matter where you go....there you are".
Fred

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 04:27:18 PM »
as Buckaroo Banzai says "No matter where you go....there you are".

Buckaroo Banzai!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 04:44:54 PM »
Buckaroo Banzai!

It's a classic.....yet another great movie I had to sell when we moved back to the UK...oh the horrors!!
Fred

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 07:24:01 PM »
Ahhh,a dog poo thread surfaces again!  I do have to agree, people *can* be really awful at picking up dog waste!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1891
Dog poo
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 11:18:38 AM »
I like to fly kites in the local park, and people seem to come from miles around to let their dogs crap on the grass.  Most of them do clean it up, but that's not even sufficient when you've got hundreds of dogs crapping over every square foot.  The whole park is just covered in poo and I've stopped going there.  It's surreal to be there in the winter and see a line of cars wanting to do nothing but jump out, crap and drive away again.

I've got a neighbor with 3 big dogs , he stays home to take care of them while his wife works.  He takes all 3 dogs to the park in his car at least 3 times per day.   He never does much of anything else that I can see.  Between the 3 of them, he must collect a pound of turd each time.  I like dogs as much as the next guy but I just can't see the point in living like that. 

I'm not trying to start some flame war, I like dogs as much as anybody, but it seems that we've got to rethink the way it's done, at least in the cities.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:27:20 AM by jimbocz »

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 11:24:12 AM »
This and parking on pavements are the two big things people in my village complain about most. In a way that's a good thing, but I sometimes start rumours of coming traveller encampments just to add a little variety.

I can't stand pets....I mean as far as me having one....but I hear they can be beneficial....but if you look at it another way, dealing with human poo is a lot bigger world concern than Fido's small leavings. It might not be perched on the trail but it does go somewhere when you flush.

Is human poo that big of a deal?  We pay for big treatment plants and they treat it.  Job done.

Pet poo doesn't seem to follow that pattern. 

I'm with you, I'm not into a dog or cat for myself in the tiny space I have in this city. 

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 03:09:36 PM »
Is human poo that big of a deal?  We pay for big treatment plants and they treat it.  Job done.

"There are approximately 31,000 Combined Sewer Overflows (CSOs) around the UK. Their sole purpose is to discharge untreated human sewage and waste-water when the sewerage system is overloaded.

During the 2015 bathing season our Safer Seas Service reported on 926 sewer overflow events across the English beaches in the service."

http://www.sas.org.uk/campaign/combined-sewage-overflows/

Sh*t ahoy!

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 04:29:19 PM »
Point taken!   Come to think of it, when it rains a lot sometimes they empty raw sewage into the Thames in Isleworth.  Not fun for the kayakers

• Liked: 12
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 04:31:24 PM »
Dog mess not too much of an issue around here.  More likely to have to evade overflowing bins of student detritus.  Bin men won't empty them if the lids aren't down so it slowly drifts to the path and sits there.  I've seen rats.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 06:01:49 PM »
Not fun for the kayakers

Nettie: Oh look darling a nesting vole!
Charles: That's no vole, Nettie

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 09:34:53 AM »
Nettie: Oh look darling a nesting vole!
Charles: That's no vole, Nettie

That's a harbour trout!

Sponsored Links