Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Sim card for US visit?  (Read 767 times)

• Liked: 21
Sim card for US visit?
« on: July 12, 2016, 08:40:22 PM »
Hello, next month I'm visiting US for the first time since I moved over last year. Currently I have an EE pay as you go SIM for my (unlocked) iPhone, which of course does not cover international travel. So, what kind of SIM do you use when you travel to the US? I need to have calling, texting and data. Thanks!
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 14
Re: Sim card for US visit?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 06:20:14 AM »
Hiya not sure if this would help..

http://shop.ee.co.uk/international/travelling-abroad

• Liked: 716
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 08:10:51 AM »
Hiya not sure if this would help..

http://shop.ee.co.uk/international/travelling-abroad

We have an iPhone and are not EE customers but this seems like a good way to go.  Last year we went to Canada from the US and paid $30 to our carrier, AT&T for 30 days of international coverage - far more voice and text we were ever likely to use plus 300MB of data very useful for use with Google Maps on the occasions we needed it, in Vancouver City and Calgary.

Note that if you plot a route using Google Maps while you are in wifi it will work on your journey unless you go off route and need to plot a new one.

Note also that Google Maps now allows you to download maps of the area where you are so that if you are going to be in a place for a few days it is worth doing that as it will continue to be available when out of wifi.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:12:16 AM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 08:33:41 AM »
This probably won't apply to you as you're on EE, but for information:

I recently switched from EE to 3 and they have pretty good deals for international travel... if you travel to the US, you can call and text UK numbers and use data and it's all included in your UK plan allowance. So, you only pay for those things if you go over your allowance.

It's free to receive calls or texts from any number, but if you call US numbers, it's £1.40 a minute and if you text US numbers, it's 1.3p per text.

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Mobile_Roaming?content_aid=1214306357859

• Liked: 716
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 08:45:18 AM »
We have an O2 sim card in my wife's iPhone for use in the UK.  There is an app called TuGo that means, among other things, that the phone can be used anywhere there is wifi, so that calls to the phone if you are abroad come in if you are in wifi, but if not you can pick up voice mail and texts when in wifi.  Also while in wifi you can make phone calls as if you were in the UK so you can call anyone in the UK as if you were there.

In my iPhone I have a USA AT&T sim card and have the same options. (While in wifi I can make calls as if I was in the USA etc)

Does EE have an app like this?
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 85
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 08:46:58 AM »
We both have iPhones and what we do is, on arrival in the states we stop at the nearest Walmart or CVS and we pick up a pay-as-you-go SIM card. Get one that has calls, text and data.  Pop out the UK SIM and put in the new US Sim and follow instructions to set it up.  You get a phone number so you can text/email your US contacts your temp number so they can call you. We normally go back to US for 3 weeks - month so during that time we can top it up at Walmart or CVS it allows us to phone our family in US and also use Skype to call back to the UK if we need to, send and receive emails and the phone works just the same as it does when in the UK. Once our trip is over we put the UK SIM back in the phone and it is good to go.. We have had no issues doing it this way and no big bills..
Online Application Spouse Visa - 27 Jan 2015
Visa Received - 16 Feb 2015
FLR(M) In-Person  (Approved)- 4 Jan 2018
ILR (M) Approval - 23 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) - 28 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) APPROVED!!!!! - 10 Feb 2021
Citizenship ceremony - 10 June 2021

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 10:08:15 AM »
I use H2o in the US, had a sim sent to a relative and activated it on arrival. I keep topping it up every 3 months, (minimum of $10), with a US debit or credit card. This may be useful to know for people who travel to the US frequently, want to keep the same phone number, and have service as they arrive.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab