Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can I freelance?  (Read 1647 times)

• Liked: 1891
Re: Can I freelance?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 03:42:43 PM »
At that point would I cease to be charging them for my services and then be on their books?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I always worked for others and never had a problem with it, but needing something rather than nothing right now has got me thinking. Ive been in touch with the local business centre to see if they can help and they kind of, sort of, pointed me in a direction, just hope it's one easy to navigate :-P

Yes, you would be an employee of theirs, and they would pay you. 

No stupid questions here.

Is that what you are trying to get a job doing? Social Media?  I've seen some jobs like that come up lately in the Guardian .

• Liked: 68
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 05:45:27 PM »
Social media or copywriting. Anything to get my feet wet at this moment. I'd love to work in the football industry liaising with fans ultimately :-)

• Liked: 85
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 11:59:30 AM »
Social media or copywriting. Anything to get my feet wet at this moment. I'd love to work in the football industry liaising with fans ultimately :-)

LinkedIn has been where most of my work comes from -- people just find me there, based on my profile, and say, 'you available for xyz?'. No hustle involved.

I recently found Upwork, which lets you bid on projects. The rates seem to be a bit higher than on other, similar sites (eLance and ODesk in particular are garbage), although for my situation, the projects are below my (medical writing/medical copywriting) expertise level and aren't in the ballpark of my rates. But if you're just looking to get some extra portfolio items that you can use to strengthen your LinkedIn or personal website, that seems like a good place to get some small one-off projects alongside the work offers you already have.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 01:33:13 PM »

American football or What Americans call soccer?

Just last week my 9 year old went on a school trip to learn about American Football.  They played games and he came back with a NFL t shirt.  If you're interested in that, you should be looking good since the NFL is expanding like crazy. 

Have you offered yourself as an intern?   

• Liked: 85
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 01:39:03 PM »
Or something like this -- you're in Manchester, right? (Office appears to be in Manchester, covering SE region.) Sport + communications could be a foot in the door towards getting in with a football team. http://www.uksport.gov.uk/jobs-in-sport/South-East-Regional-Lacrosse-Coordinator-UKSP-8899

Or something that looks like an agency with clients in sport? http://www.forwardrolerecruitment.co.uk/job/3358-social-media-and-content-executive-sports-greater-manchester
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 01:43:37 PM by hms_seahorse »

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 04:12:08 PM »
American football or What Americans call soccer?

Just last week my 9 year old went on a school trip to learn about American Football.  They played games and he came back with a NFL t shirt.  If you're interested in that, you should be looking good since the NFL is expanding like crazy. 

Have you offered yourself as an intern?

Soccer. Although I am a big American Football fan as well. I've not gone down the intern route although I have some work experience weeks I have done and a few companies when I was in uni, but I suppose it is definitely worth looking into.

Or something like this -- you're in Manchester, right? (Office appears to be in Manchester, covering SE region.) Sport + communications could be a foot in the door towards getting in with a football team. http://www.uksport.gov.uk/jobs-in-sport/South-East-Regional-Lacrosse-Coordinator-UKSP-8899

Or something that looks like an agency with clients in sport? http://www.forwardrolerecruitment.co.uk/job/3358-social-media-and-content-executive-sports-greater-manchester

Thanks for those! Checking them out now, though I am sure I have sent Forward Role a CV but I'll have a follow up. I have also signed up to UpWork!

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 06:10:30 PM »
I did it!! Been to a Business Basics workshop in Manchester to help reassure me I was doing everything right and signed up as a sole trader :-)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 09:25:27 PM »
I did it!! Been to a Business Basics workshop in Manchester to help reassure me I was doing everything right and signed up as a sole trader :-)

How exciting! Congratulations!!!  ;D

Sponsored Links