Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My experiences moving a dog US>UK some years ago.  (Read 1447 times)

My experiences moving a dog US>UK some years ago.
« on: July 13, 2016, 09:13:53 PM »
Hi. I just thought I'd pop in to this board with my own experiences.

When I moved to the UK in 2008, I had an 8 year old sheltie that I'd had since he was a pup. The process of bringing a dog to the UK was a lot more complicated then, I hear, and crazy expensive, but I was determined not to re-home him. My pups are always like my babies, completely the center of my heart and family, loved to pieces. So, I brought him, and we spent his last six years on great walks in the Lakes and with all the love he was accustomed to.

But people often ask me if I would do it again, and I have to say no, never. The flight was pretty traumatic for him. He was panicked when we picked him up at the airport and remained like that for a few weeks. We both worked from home at the time, so he was always alone in a calm, quiet household (no other pets or kids, just lots of love from us), but he was still really overwhelmed and not himself at all for a long time. He developed really terrible separation anxiety, too. We couldn't leave him alone for ten minutes. Ultimately it took some months of gentle weaning (and a video baby monitor we could check from our smartphones) to get things normal again.

I feel kind of bad to warn people off it. Surely, some dogs will be just fine. Mine always was a bit timid to begin with. And we did have lots of good time together in his remaining years. But definitely don't underestimate how tough the flying can be on a pupper. Just thought I'd share it in case anyone else is sitting the fence on what to do with theirs.

• Liked: 2
Re: My experiences moving a dog US>UK some years ago.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 05:49:08 AM »
That's why we went with the qm2 transatlantic crossing.  It's substantially cheaper and you can spend hours a day with your pet.  So much less stress for everyone involved.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 05:33:51 PM »
Great to hear about QM2 as I traveling over in October with them and the two mutts!  It is amazingly cheaper as well - even including my fare!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 08:15:55 PM »
Great to hear about QM2 as I traveling over in October with them and the two mutts!  It is amazingly cheaper as well - even including my fare!

You got kennel space on the QM2? That's awesome!   ;D

How long did you have to wait to get a crossing?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 08:03:04 AM »
This is what scares me...  But how can I leave my baby behind????   I wish we could at least give them anxiety medication or something.  😞

• Trying to do this right on no money
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 06:20:49 PM »
I know this is a really old post but I'm trying to find a cheaper way to get my dog across x how does this work? It seems like there are a lot of hidden costs for food that would cause problems for me unless there are free meals in your room, etc x
We don't want to break the rules. We just want to be together.

Every day, I remember why I fell in love with him, I remember why I still am and I can see why I always will be.

Sponsored Links