Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US customs  (Read 1006 times)

• Liked: 154
US customs
« on: July 19, 2016, 09:09:58 PM »
Just have to vent a little. Booked last min flights home with my husband for a funeral. Husband had a refused entry over ten years ago and has a valid visitors visa obtained from the embassy. Upon arriving at Detroit, not only did it take over an hour to get through customs.. They also took my husband to the detainment room and grilled him for about thirty mins. Making us miss our flight and not able to get a new one for five hours. I'm just so frustrated, why bother having a visitor visa if your just going to grill somebody?? I understand a few questions (like it has previously been done). Sorry I'm just venting. Anybody else have a refused entry  to the US and later had this happen on a visitor visa?

• Liked: 3595
Re: US customs
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 09:27:21 PM »
I've been there too - sometimes you just have to put up with it.

I have a valid visitor visa (due to a DUI in 2007) and the first time I travelled to the US on a visitor visa, I was sent to the 'back room', where I sat there for about 20 minutes and then got 'interviewed' about my trip, my previous travel history and previous student visa. I've entered the US on my visitor visa several times since then with varying results - sometimes I'm just waved through, other times the IO will tell me I don't actually need a visa, and then I occasionally get a few questions.

However, even without visitor visas in advance and just travelling on the ESTA, it can sometimes take 2-3 hours to get through US immigration. I've missed several connecting flights in the past due to the long wait.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:46:07 PM »
Sorry I'm just ranting probably because we're traveling for not so great circumstances. The other times he's traveled he's just been waved through. He got grilled about whether our marriage was legitimate and when I was moving back to the states and weird questions like that. 

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 09:49:52 PM »
Sorry I'm just ranting probably because we're traveling for not so great circumstances. The other times he's traveled he's just been waved through. He got grilled about whether our marriage was legitimate and when I was moving back to the states and weird questions like that.

No worries, I get it :).

You probably just got an IO in a bad mood or something.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab