Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving mom over?  (Read 292 times)

• Liked: 0
Moving mom over?
« on: July 23, 2016, 09:49:41 PM »
So I live in Scotland with my UK husband and have had ILR for 4 years now. My mom has recently been widowed and I want her (and so does she) to move over here.  she is retired and has pension income of 36500 dollars a year. I have two brothers in the us. Is there any way this is possible outwith her just visiting 6 months of the year. Thanks guys.

• Liked: 3595
Re: Moving mom over?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 09:58:19 PM »
Unfortunately, there really isn't. Her only option would be to either visit you on a visitor visa every so often (though 6 months at a time, every year is risky as it might look like she's trying to use it to live in the UK without a proper visa), unless she can qualify for another visa, but even then, the only options would be work visa or student visa.

While there is an Elderly Dependant Relative visa, the rules are so strict for it that it's almost impossible to qualify for and very few are ever granted.

In order for her to qualify for it, you would have to prove that:

a) She is completely financially dependant on you and has no money of her own
AND
b) She is completely physically dependant on you and needs you to care for her and help her with every day tasks such as eating, dressing, moving around etc.
AND
c) She has no living relatives in the US who can care for her and she has no means of getting the care she needs in the US.

Basically you have to prove that she has no choice but to live with you, because she won't survive if she stays in the US.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 10:00:08 PM »
Yep that's what I figured well longish visits it is. Thanks

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 10:05:13 PM »
Yep that's what I figured well longish visits it is. Thanks

Yeah, it's frustrating, but unfortunately, if the dependant is over 18, they usually cannot qualify for a family/settlement visa.

I'm just looking at the immigration statistics for settlement visas... only 14 Adult/Elderly Dependant Relative visas were issued in the whole of 2015 (and only 3 of them in the US)!

In comparison, almost 10,000 partner/child dependant visas were issued in the same period.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 10:30:39 PM »
Think I got my hopes up a bit as I saw a thing about retired person of independent means but guess its outdated. Ah well never.know what the future holds.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 10:51:28 PM »
Yeah, sadly the Retired Person of Independent Means visa was abolished several years ago and no longer exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab