Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Coming for 1 year: What to bring?  (Read 2828 times)

• Liked: 3
Coming for 1 year: What to bring?
« on: July 26, 2016, 04:15:58 PM »
Hello!  ;D

I'm getting an MSc at the Uni of Edinburgh starting in September. So for now, we're only planning on staying one year (that might depend on the job my husband ends up with). Our tier 4 visas are approved and we're excited!

We plan on bringing one checked suitcase, one carry on suitcase, and a backpack each (mostly for his computer and my camera equipment).

What are things you'd bring for this length of time? What wouldn't you bring?

Since we'll be in Scotland, I'm really unsure on our coat situation.  ??? We each have long rain coats, but we both have a short wool peacoat and longer wool coats. Would we need the longer wool coats? We're not planning on bringing many summer clothes except for what we'll need to visit a former student of mine in Spain.

Luckily, we're getting free storage in NC, so leaving stuff isn't a problem!

I'm currently sorting through phone plans and stuff as well, so any and all short-term Scotland advice is welcomed. 

Y'all have been so helpful on other posts! Thank you!
A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.
J. R. R. Tolkien

• Liked: 537
Re: Coming for 1 year: What to bring?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 04:42:28 PM »
Whether or not you'll need a warmer coat will depend on how well you deal with the moist, cold winters. I absolutely freeze here in Derbyshire and I'm from Colorado and thought I was 'hardy'. -2 Fahrenheit there and I just wore a normal partial wool peacoat. Whereas I absolutely froze in my ski jacket here in my first winter that barely went below 20 degrees Fahrenheit.

Remember to bring power converters, or to pick some up while you are here for the laptop and camera charger. I've been using the same converter for my US macbook for the last 2.6 years.

Don't bother bringing any electronics like curling irons/blow dryers or beard trimmers, they're cheap enough to buy here and you'd need more power converters. 

Also, they don't have power outlets in bathrooms, it's really annoying. You might be able to use a beard trimmer on a plug in the bathroom, but that's it.

Check around and see if some of the products you can't live without are available there or not. International shipping is crazy! That way you can either stock up or if you go back to visit you can bring it back with you. I'm taking make up, face/hair/body products, etc. Deodorant isn't the same here, they don't allow some of the chemicals that are okay in the US. 
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 04:47:43 PM »
Thank you Lyonaria :) That's helpful! I'm originally from Georgia, so I should probably err on the side of the warmest coast I've got, I suppose. It'll be really hilarious to leave 90+ degree Fahrenheit with a coat on. I should take a photo.
J. R. R. Tolkien

• Liked: 223
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 09:16:46 PM »
If you've got a few electronics like laptops that don't need power converters, I'd suggest bringing a US power strip. You'll just need one US-UK adapter (per strip).

If you need a power converter, I'm not sure that plan would work, but most laptops and basic electronic devices nowadays will work on US or UK power without a converter.

If you're not arriving in the winter and would have a bit of time to shop, maybe you could pick up a new winter coat here. ;) It would be a nice souvenir and a fun reminder of the UK once you're back (and it's more likely to suit the fashion here if that matters to you). It's probably not going to be cheaper, but it might be better fit for UK weather.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 11:07:21 PM »

If you need a power converter, I'm not sure that plan would work, but most laptops and basic electronic devices nowadays will work on US or UK power without a converter.

Your electronic devices from the US will have all the wrong plugs so I guess I mean an adapter.

My iPad is just fine as long as it has a UK USB plug to go into.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 11:17:18 PM »
Thank you Lyonaria :) That's helpful! I'm originally from Georgia, so I should probably err on the side of the warmest coast I've got, I suppose. It'll be really hilarious to leave 90+ degree Fahrenheit with a coat on. I should take a photo.

You're welcome! Glad to help. 😊

Definitely take a picture! Haha. I moved over in February, so it was just as cold in Colorado as it was in the UK.

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 01:02:04 AM »
Thanks TravelingFrog! The power strip is a great idea (+ the adapter, of course). I've checked the electronics I have and made sure they can handle the voltage, but it's probably just two laptops and my camera. We don't carry a whole lot of tech around (yay!)

We'll probably end up buying one in the UK anyway, I suppose. According to other posts, I may miss my soft sheets more than I'll miss a pea coat. haha!
J. R. R. Tolkien

• Liked: 584
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 07:57:33 AM »
If you're not arriving in the winter and would have a bit of time to shop, maybe you could pick up a new winter coat here. ;) It would be a nice souvenir and a fun reminder of the UK once you're back (and it's more likely to suit the fashion here if that matters to you). It's probably not going to be cheaper, but it might be better fit for UK weather.

I agree with this... not sure what your raincoats are like, but you may find they're not the fashion here, if that matters to you.  I live in Scotland, and I can't think when I've last seen someone wearing a 'raincoat' (I may be picturing something different in my mind than what you've got...LOL!).

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 09:30:35 AM »
Thanks Albatross! I guess I'd call it more of a trench coat, I suppose. I wear it to work as a light jacket here, but it's water proof and to my knees. I figured it'd be helpful over there.  ;)
J. R. R. Tolkien

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 09:41:39 AM »
Thanks Albatross! I guess I'd call it more of a trench coat, I suppose. I wear it to work as a light jacket here, but it's water proof and to my knees. I figured it'd be helpful over there.  ;)

Waterproof will be useful, there will be rain! ;)

People here usually recommend layering to combat the cold.

I have found the winters to be much less chilly than they used to be though.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 09:47:16 AM »
Thanks Larrabee :) Yeah, I've heard there's a bit of rain. haha!
J. R. R. Tolkien

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 10:54:07 AM »
I would bring deodorant, Nyquil, and Benadryl.  I'd probably also throw in a Costco size Advil or Tylenol (can get the same here but limited to a pack of 16).

Jeans - for some reason the ones sold in the UK tend to not fit as well.  I stock up on Old Navy jeans when I'm home.

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 11:00:48 AM »
OH!

If you like that cream you put on bandaids to help kill germs... darn it. what's it called again?!

It's not available here. Darn it... Neosporin!

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 11:02:46 AM »
Thanks KFdancer and lyonaria! I'll head to Old Navy soon. Their clearance rack is AWESOME.

I just bought those at Costco! I might make a return trip soon though.

Thanks so much!
J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 11:13:36 AM »
Oh, and if you like Aleve (naproxen), you can't get it here other than on a prescription from your doctor. Which I find really weird.

You can get Paracetemol (acetaminophen) with Codeine over the counter but you can't get naproxen. *shakes head*

Edit to add: They do sell the brand Benadryll over here, but it's the same as the non-drowsy stuff in the US. It's not diphenhydramine, that's only sold as a sleep aid here and not very often...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:15:50 AM by lyonaria »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab