Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Coming for 1 year: What to bring?  (Read 2846 times)

• Liked: 3
Re: Coming for 1 year: What to bring?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2016, 03:10:18 PM »
No worries Lyonaria! My last two apartments here have had wood burning fireplaces. (they were built in the 80's, I don't think apartment managers would want the liability now.) I'm super spoiled, though and I'm going to miss that so much, haha.
A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.
J. R. R. Tolkien

• Liked: 537
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2016, 03:14:09 PM »
HAHA Sonofasailor, don't worry. I can't afford UGGS and I've never been a fan anyway :D

I am not a fan of uggs either and would never buy them...

But my last boss in the US bought me a pair for Christmas one year, she was a lovely woman. And as much as I don't like the way they look, or how impractical they are outside in winter weather (no traction), they are the warmest things I have ever put on my feet. I wear them at home cause I have ice block feet and I did wear them to work a few times when the office was freezing and I couldn't feel my toes. (I worked in a 'quality' place at that point. *rolls eyes*)
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2016, 03:17:38 PM »
Before I moved to the UK I'd only been around forced air central heating. So my apologies. Anything with a radiator is the same thing to me...

Me too. There are so many knobs and gadgets and switches now. Timers...thermostats...valves...I am always running about adjusting stuff....depending on whether I am drying laundry.

I know any of you true yankees on here may be more familiar with this sort of thing,  but one thing I have found with radiators of any sort is that all of a sudden you can get things heated up way too much. Just watching TV all comfortable and suddenly you are throwing off covers and tearing at fleeces. And short of opening up windows...there's not a thing you can do about it for a while.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 533
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
And drying towels on a radiator...they come off like a board sometimes. I folded one once and it unfolded itself....had to put a book on it to hold it down. 
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2016, 03:27:50 PM »
Ah, crunchy towels. Sonofasailor, thanks for reminding me! We'll have to go to the laundromat, but depending on the cost, we may mostly air dry. Luckily, I should have some hefty books to read for school  ;)
J. R. R. Tolkien

• Liked: 223
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2016, 06:20:36 PM »
And drying towels on a radiator...they come off like a board sometimes. I folded one once and it unfolded itself....had to put a book on it to hold it down.

I find towels crunch less if you give them a good shake/fluff before hanging on the airer or draping over the radiator. ;D

Or maybe it's because we dry primarily on the airer and rotate to the radiator after a day or two (multi-stage drying in the winter). ::)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2016, 09:57:12 PM »
Thanks BostonDiner! I'm not sure about how to work the "electric storage heating," (though I'm sure I'll figure it out...), but it's included in my rent! An absolute win, if you ask me, haha.

Is it just the night storage heating or all of your electricity that's included with the rent?

If it's the latter, you are totally laughing!

You could supplement the heating by picking up a fan heater when you get here for about a tenner. They are really great for warming up a room quickly.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2016, 10:00:10 PM »
I am not a fan of uggs either and would never buy them...

But my last boss in the US bought me a pair for Christmas one year, she was a lovely woman. And as much as I don't like the way they look, or how impractical they are outside in winter weather (no traction), they are the warmest things I have ever put on my feet. I wear them at home cause I have ice block feet and I did wear them to work a few times when the office was freezing and I couldn't feel my toes. (I worked in a 'quality' place at that point. *rolls eyes*)

Kinda like the best slippers ever! ;D 

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2016, 10:01:04 PM »
Just the heating, sadly, larrabee! Other electric isn't included. Still a great idea!

J. R. R. Tolkien

• Liked: 537
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »
Kinda like the best slippers ever! ;D

They really are! Basically sheep skin slippers that cost more than I'm willing to pay. haha. Warm feet keep the rest of me toasty.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2016, 12:58:26 PM »
This is the scale I've got and it's been good for me (almost daily use for 4 years with regular dousing of flour, spills and general baking mess).

I have the same!
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 7
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2016, 01:05:16 PM »
I initially went to the UK for 1 year, and did the same - one checked bag, one carry on, and a backpack for my gadgets. 

Other than two plug converters, I didn't bring most of the things listed here, and got on just fine. 

But I do suggest a tube of Neosporin as was recommended earlier (it seems the options aren't as good in the UK), and a few months supply of any medications that you are on, just in the rare event that your pharmacy doesn't stock what you might need.

Whatever you bring/don't bring, I'm sure you're going to have a great time!
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2016, 03:24:15 PM »
Thanks PickledSakura :)

I agree! It won't really matter in the end what I forget to bring, etc. I'm going to try to make the most of it!
J. R. R. Tolkien

• Liked: 12
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2016, 01:10:49 PM »
I have not heard anything good about electric storage heaters.   ::)  I've heard they are expensive and don't work well.
My inlaws had a storage heater in their front hall and it was just intended as backup to their gas fire in the sitting room.  So I don't think storage heaters would really be expected to heat a house or even flat -- just keep it from forming ice indoors!

The trouble with gas fires (or electric fires) is that you get overheated on the side facing the fire while your back is freezing and the minute you switch it off the room goes cold again.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 12
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2016, 01:25:16 PM »
As for what to bring clothes-wise, what I brought this time was an LL Bean raincoat with attached hood.  Works well with a fleece underneath.  You could get something similar here -- I'd check out TK Maxx for a cheaper option.  http://global.llbean.com/shop/Trail-Model-Raincoat/68165.html#start=1

I also have a Lands End "Squall" coat, stadium length which is very warm and fairly good in rain -- but you probably won't want to invest in something like that for long-term!  http://www.landsend.co.uk/Womens_Stadium_Squall_Coat/pp/P_25080.html

I found that winter coats here are not really as warm as I would expect of coats in the US -- but maybe that's just me.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

Sponsored Links