Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Coming for 1 year: What to bring?  (Read 2848 times)

• Liked: 1892
Re: Coming for 1 year: What to bring?
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2016, 03:46:29 PM »
Ah, crunchy towels. Sonofasailor, thanks for reminding me! We'll have to go to the laundromat, but depending on the cost, we may mostly air dry. Luckily, I should have some hefty books to read for school  ;)

Go to the laundromat?   That's gonna suck.  If you can negotiate that away it would be well worth it. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 3
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2016, 04:00:06 PM »
Thanks BostonDiner! I've got a long raincoat for layering under. It's a lot like Lands End (ugh I love that brand) but cheaper, yay!

A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.
J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2016, 04:01:29 PM »
Ah, jimbocz, I wish I could. I think it's in my building but I can't be sure. We'll be in a university-managed flat and I'm positive there's no washer in it :( Very sad
J. R. R. Tolkien

• Liked: 585
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2016, 06:22:22 PM »
Hi... going back to the query about the coats.

I worked in Edinburgh for 8 years.  For me, it wasn't so much about the rain, but it was the cold wind that got to me.  Hats, scarves and gloves were my saviours.

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2016, 07:45:03 PM »
Thanks Albatross! Yeah, those are already in a pile for coming with us. If you have any other Edinburgh advice, I'd appreciate it!
J. R. R. Tolkien

• Liked: 585
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2016, 08:34:08 PM »
If you have any other Edinburgh advice, I'd appreciate it!

I'm afraid I can't be much help... I lived in the west and basically only went to Edinburgh for work.  My offices were in the Gyle/Gogarburn area, so I didn't really get into the city centre often enough to know my way around.   I did live there for 6 months when I first separated from my ex, but I didn't like it, and moved west again!

You might be interested to know about this place, though:

http://www.lupepintos.com/contact-lupe-pintos/1-edinburgh-shop

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2016, 09:16:32 PM »
Thanks for the heads up! That looks right up my husband's alley. :D
J. R. R. Tolkien

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2016, 09:21:15 PM »
If you're like me and hate the winter, you might want to have a couple of winter coats just for the mental boost of not having to put on the same exact coat every single day for four months.

I had an Land's End rain coat but ended up having to invest in a Patagonia one because the Land's End one was not waterproof enough! Like someone else said, it's really the wind that gets you. I live in Newcastle and the wind off the North Sea is killer in the winter!

And yes to good walking shoes with decent grips!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2016, 03:30:34 PM »
An observation:  where I came from (New England) there were -- at least -- four seasons.  Spring was sorta hazily stretched from Mud Time to Trees in Bloom and then -- bang -- summer.  But you really had to think in terms of clothing for those basic seasons.  In the British Isles there is a lot of overlapping so you see some strange get-ups on the streets.  Some people in shorts and sandals while others are in coats and boots.

There are things I brought over that I've hardly worn because the weather wasn't really right.  I have about 4 or 5 pairs of winter boots, including Canadienne sheepskin lined ones.  Not much snow here to speak of.  It can get very cold but the wet and wind are more problematic.  Same with all the short-sleeve tops I brought.  Maybe wear them for about a week ("Summer") and end up putting sweaters or fleeces over them.  I didn't bother with shorts -- may be useful to you if you plan on going on holidays to hotter climes.  People do wear sandals and I brought some but very rarely worn.  But that's probably just me.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 52
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2016, 12:57:15 AM »
So our son is going to college in Scotland. The big question is what to do about the cell phone issue? Any advice on carrier, plans?

He has a new iphone.....is it possible to just get a sim card? If so again what carrier?

We have heard that whatsapp is good to use to chat but we dont want a huge bill from the US carrier for roaming charges.

Thanks,
NWKH
UK Spouse Visa
Married: 2001 (Both Living in the US)
Biometrics: 27 Dec 2017
Received in Sheffield: 02 Jan 2018
Decision email: 24 Jan 2018 (17 Bus. Days)
Returned mail: 28 Jan 2018 It's a YES!!!
Landed in UK: 11 Feb 2018
Granted FLR(M): 22 Oct 2020
Granted ILR:  28 Feb 2023
Citizenship Granted:  18 Jan 2024

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2016, 01:18:27 AM »
Where will your son be? We arrive on Sept. 9!

We are AT&T and I am canceling our contract. First we are going to unlock our phones (on AT&T I can request an unlock online, since my account is in good standing) and then we are probably going to end up with a pay as you go SIM overseas; several phone companies offer them, so we are going to decide once we compare in person. We have Samsung Galaxy 5's and didn't want to buy new phones, even though they are "old" they work fine.

For texting our family, I believe we're using What's App and Skype/google hangouts (we're also keeping our phone numbers through google/Skype, but that's a different story. I'm just attached to my phone number).

If someone has better advice, I'd love to hear it too!
J. R. R. Tolkien

• Liked: 52
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2016, 01:31:43 AM »
rivendelf--

Thanks so much. I think a sim card my be the way to because then the usage has to come out of his budget. :) :) Teens can really go though the data. He is gonna be up at St Andrews so if anyone knows the best carrier in that area and down a little in Edinburgh that would be great!!!
UK Spouse Visa
Married: 2001 (Both Living in the US)
Biometrics: 27 Dec 2017
Received in Sheffield: 02 Jan 2018
Decision email: 24 Jan 2018 (17 Bus. Days)
Returned mail: 28 Jan 2018 It's a YES!!!
Landed in UK: 11 Feb 2018
Granted FLR(M): 22 Oct 2020
Granted ILR:  28 Feb 2023
Citizenship Granted:  18 Jan 2024

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab