Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Americans in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk  (Read 1267 times)

• Liked: 1
Americans in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
« on: July 28, 2016, 11:54:59 AM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Sam.  My wife and I have lived in Bury St. Edmunds for close to three years now.  We became expats in 2011 when we moved to Rotterdam, Netherlands.  My wife was transferred there for work.  We lived in Rotterdam for two years before moving to England, again for my wife’s work.  We were living in Phoenix prior to moving to the Netherlands. 

We have loved our experience so far.  Well, the majority of it anyway.  There have been a few hiccups along the way that have made me miss the good ‘ol USA.  Thankfully those are few and far between. 

I haven’t worked in the past 5 years by choice, but I’m starting a job search soon.  I’m heading back to the states in August to visit family and I’ll start looking for work when I return.  I have a degree in mechanical engineering, but lately I’m trying to do some creative stuff like photography and writing.  I’m ok with the photos, my writing is lousy. 

We would love to meet up with some fellow Americans that are living over here.  Let me know if you’re in Suffolk, Cambridgeshire or other nearby counties.  We get down to London quite a bit, so we can even meet up with people there.  We can get together and commiserate about the lack of garbage disposals and window screens! 

Hope to hear from y’all soon.

• Liked: 149
Re: Americans in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 06:16:36 PM »
Considering where you are.....there should be tons of Americans around. Lakenheath etc is in that area although I haven't been down there since before I retired.
Fred

• Liked: 154
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 06:28:33 PM »
Hiya! We live in Peterborough, not to far from Bury. We've been meaning to get up there because we have acquaintance living on base there. I'm from Missouri, my husband is local to London.   

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:24:51 AM »
Considering where you are.....there should be tons of Americans around. Lakenheath etc is in that area although I haven't been down there since before I retired.

There are plenty of Americans here, but since we're not military I'm not sure how to make contact with any of them. 

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 10:28:38 AM »
Hiya! We live in Peterborough, not to far from Bury. We've been meaning to get up there because we have acquaintance living on base there. I'm from Missouri, my husband is local to London.

Hi!  Let me know when you're in town if you want to meet up for coffee or a pint.

Sam

• Liked: 154
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 08:03:26 PM »
Hi!  Let me know when you're in town if you want to meet up for coffee or a pint.

Sam

Yes! We will have to make a trip up some weekend soon.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 05:08:20 AM »
Hi Sam,
I used to be stationed at RAF Mildenhall now married to my British hubby and living in Bury also. Have you tried applying for jobs on base? NAF Jobs and the BX (Base Exchange) are normally hiring all the time. As long as you have a valid UK Visa to live and work, are an American citizen and have your social security card physically with you, you can apply for work, possibly even a contracted job with your engineering background. Also, you will have a better chance to befriend fellow Americans as they will be your coworkers! Go to USAJobs,NAF Jobs or Exchange Careers.com Hope this helps :)

Happy Halloween!

Sponsored Links