Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Name Changing  (Read 4615 times)

• Liked: 5
Name Changing
« on: August 08, 2016, 03:03:46 PM »
Hi All !

Finally getting around to changing my name but am slightly unsure how to go about it.

I know the main ones are the SS card, passport and BRP but which do I do first?   I think I've sorted to docs for the passport and SS card but not totally sure which to use for the BRP.   

Would appreciate any advice or assistance on this and every time I go to do it I get a bit confused and say "I'll come back to it later..."

Thanks in advance!!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Name Changing
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 03:20:30 PM »
Changing your name on your BRP is a complete pain in the ass - just to warn you.  If at all possible, I would recommend changing your name within 90 days of your next visa application (and not travelling before) and submitting your application with your name change.  If you are on a Leave to Remain visa it costs £223 to change your name.   :-\\\\

You need to change your passport before your BRP.  You must change your BRP within 90 days of your passport.

You can do social security whenever you feel like it.  :)

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »
Thank you!   My plan was the change it all upon renewal this past January but I didn't get my act together.   I want to legally change my name before our first child is born in Jan 2017.   

Was there any other step you needed to take with the US government to officially change your name?  Or is the passport change considered the official notification?   What document makes it legal?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »
I did the Passport and SS.  That's all I've changed.  My US Driver's license, voters registration, bank accounts, etc., are all still in my maiden name.

The passport is your official government ID so that's as official as it gets!  It's smart to update Social Security before you file your taxes.

A bit off topic but I'm hoping Democrats Abroad hold actual presidential polls for the November election, as they did for the primaries.  I was a bit concerned about my name.  But I do have my marriage certificate showing my maiden name and married names, old and new passport, drivers license in my maiden name, etc.  So I think I'd be fine to vote (if they hold an in person election poll).

I totally understand wanting to change it before baby!  Congratulations!

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 03:59:31 PM »
You can vote in person over here for the election???  That's really interesting and something I didn't know.  Do you register absentee ballot to do that?  If it is something they are offering...?

Thanks for all the help, by the way.  I really appreciate it. 

Sponsored Links