Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Car Insurance, do I need my US Record?  (Read 687 times)

• Liked: 9
UK Car Insurance, do I need my US Record?
« on: August 12, 2016, 09:17:44 AM »
1. Any suggestions on where to start looking at prices for UK car insurance?

2. Is it a good idea/necessary for me to request my US Illinois record? I am not sure what is on it. I had an accident in 2012 or 2013.

3. If I request my record the form I send needs to be notarised but can I do that here in the UK?

Thank you!

• Liked: 4985
Re: UK Car Insurance, do I need my US Record?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 09:22:02 AM »
Try moneysupermarket or another comparison website.

A letter from your insurance company *may* be helpful.  Not your driving record.

You may find you are treated as a new driver and that insurance will be very expensive.  Good luck!

• Liked: 9
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 09:43:05 AM »
thank you!

• Liked: 154
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 12:15:58 PM »
I recently found a company who said they would get on the phone and call American companies to get you classed as a experienced driver. They said they just did it for a Canadian lady. They are called a-plan; I found them because they had the ghost busters car out for display in town and naturally my husband and I had to go see it lol. If they have any in your town it may be worth contacting them. Here's their business card just so you can see the logo and get the right company.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 12:54:01 PM »
Just FYI, if you end up being classed as a new driver, you may be able to get a lower price by agreeing to have a tracker fitted to your car. 

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 03:10:32 PM »
I just went through this! My husband and I are both Americans so we are both classified as "new drivers" here and all the quotes I got were thousands of pounds. The only company I found that would take my American driving record into account (a letter from my previous insurer on their company letterhead) was Aviva. It's still more than I'd like to pay (higher than my friends pay anyway) but MUCH cheaper than the other companies!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 09:05:51 PM »
I can second aviva.  While they were more money than i wanted to be they were literally thousands less than the others.  They were also very helpful as well.  My agent is an expat who is familiar with the challenges we face. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab