Author Topic: Legally Changing Last Name in both UK and USA - Steps??  (Read 404 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline pomegranatehues

  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: Feb 2015
  • Location: London
  • Gender: Female
  • Liked: 0
Legally Changing Last Name in both UK and USA - Steps??
« on: August 13, 2016, 08:20:44 PM »
I'm recently married to my British husband, and I am now wanting to change my surname to match his. I am wondering if there is a certain order I need to go through to do this effectively and legally in both countries - ie, do I need to first change US social security card, then passport, visa and UK bank documents? Or do I switch all US documents first and then my UK docs? Or vice versa? It's hard to tell online if there is a certain order to follow for all of this...

Also, I need to apply for a renewal to my FLRM unmarried partner visa in a year's time - will changing my name now make this process more complicated? Is it better to wait until this visa is renewed to make the name change?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline KFdancer

  • *
  • Posts: 7870
  • Joined: Jun 2012
  • Location: Wokingham
  • Liked: 1224
Re: Legally Changing Last Name in both UK and USA - Steps??
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 03:57:55 PM »
First step is changing your US passport.  This takes about a month

Then you MUST change your UK visa within 90 days of the new passport.  This will take about two months and cost £223.  You can apply via an in-person appointment for £500 more.

You can change UK bank statements at any time with just your marriage certificate.

You should change your social security number before you file tax returns (no urgency to do this).

You also have the option of waiting to update your US passport within 90 days of your next visa renewal and eliminating the £223 transfer fee.  You would just need to use your maiden name for travel in the interim.

Most places will let you use your married name in the UK even though that's not the name on your US passport and UK visa.  But your mileage may vary.