Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Legally Changing Last Name in both UK and USA - Steps??  (Read 4348 times)

• Liked: 0
Legally Changing Last Name in both UK and USA - Steps??
« on: August 13, 2016, 08:20:44 PM »
I'm recently married to my British husband, and I am now wanting to change my surname to match his. I am wondering if there is a certain order I need to go through to do this effectively and legally in both countries - ie, do I need to first change US social security card, then passport, visa and UK bank documents? Or do I switch all US documents first and then my UK docs? Or vice versa? It's hard to tell online if there is a certain order to follow for all of this...

Also, I need to apply for a renewal to my FLRM unmarried partner visa in a year's time - will changing my name now make this process more complicated? Is it better to wait until this visa is renewed to make the name change?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Legally Changing Last Name in both UK and USA - Steps??
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 03:57:55 PM »
First step is changing your US passport.  This takes about a month

Then you MUST change your UK visa within 90 days of the new passport.  This will take about two months and cost £223.  You can apply via an in-person appointment for £500 more.

You can change UK bank statements at any time with just your marriage certificate.

You should change your social security number before you file tax returns (no urgency to do this).

You also have the option of waiting to update your US passport within 90 days of your next visa renewal and eliminating the £223 transfer fee.  You would just need to use your maiden name for travel in the interim.

Most places will let you use your married name in the UK even though that's not the name on your US passport and UK visa.  But your mileage may vary.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 03:38:28 PM »
Sorry for reviving the topic, but will this cause any problems with UKVI when I go to apply for my next visa?

I had to provide copies of my passport and BRP for the degree I am pursuing, but forgot that they are in my maiden name, but I applied for the degree in my married name.  The immigration advisor at the university said that I could be at risk of a £1,000 fine because I didn't change it within 3 months of being married.   ???  So now I'm second guessing my decision to wait.
Online application completed: 15 Jan 2015
Biometrics: 21 Jan 2015
Application posted via UPS Express: 28 Jan 2015
Application received at Sheffield: 30 Jan 2015
Email confirmation: 5 Feb 2015
Email asking for confirmation of return address:  12 Feb 2015
Visa decision: 13 Feb 2015
Visa received: 16 Feb 2015
Flight Booked:  26 Feb 2015
Arrived in UK: 28 Feb 2015
Married:  27 Apr 2015
FLR (M):  29 May 2015

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 03:45:17 PM »
Sorry for reviving the topic, but will this cause any problems with UKVI when I go to apply for my next visa?

I had to provide copies of my passport and BRP for the degree I am pursuing, but forgot that they are in my maiden name, but I applied for the degree in my married name.  The immigration advisor at the university said that I could be at risk of a £1,000 fine because I didn't change it within 3 months of being married.   ???  So now I'm second guessing my decision to wait.

Your BRP must be in the name on your passport at all times.

If your passport and BRP are both still in your maiden name, then it's not an issue, and it's fine to use your married name for everything else.

You would only be at risk of a fine of £1,000 if you have changed your name on your passport but have not changed it on your BRP. See here: https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances-visa-brp/youre-in-the-uk-and-have-a-brp

If you do wish to change your name on your passport, I would do within the 3 months before you apply for your next visa, so that the new BRP is issued in your married name, and you won't have to worry about the 3 months/£1,000 fine issue.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 03:55:10 PM »
Thank you!  That's a relief.  Although in doing my calculations, it sounds like I need to change the name on my passport next month... clearly this was a good reminder  ;D
Online application completed: 15 Jan 2015
Biometrics: 21 Jan 2015
Application posted via UPS Express: 28 Jan 2015
Application received at Sheffield: 30 Jan 2015
Email confirmation: 5 Feb 2015
Email asking for confirmation of return address:  12 Feb 2015
Visa decision: 13 Feb 2015
Visa received: 16 Feb 2015
Flight Booked:  26 Feb 2015
Arrived in UK: 28 Feb 2015
Married:  27 Apr 2015
FLR (M):  29 May 2015