Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dill pickles  (Read 1922 times)

• Liked: 154
Dill pickles
« on: August 14, 2016, 06:39:42 PM »
After looking lovingly at the jar of American style dill pickles in M&S for weeks, but not be able to convince myself to pay 8 pounds for them.. I decided to try making my own. They look fabulous and I am dying to try them. They were super easy and cost less than three pounds for all the ingredients.

I also made homemade salsa today as well. It's spicy and so much better than anything in the cans I've tried here.

I'm slowly trying to get back into cooking. It's always been a hobby but I seemed to have stopped once I moved. Though, I've found baking to be hard. My oven is so uneven.

• Liked: 68
Re: Dill pickles
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 07:16:36 PM »
My oven seems "uneven" as well! I have to turn a cake halfway through or its a giant slope!

Please feel free to share recipes :-D I love to cook/bake but never made my own pickles before! I had a few salsa recipes from here to try but please share anyways :-)

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 08:15:59 PM »
My oven seems "uneven" as well! I have to turn a cake halfway through or its a giant slope!

Please feel free to share recipes :-D I love to cook/bake but never made my own pickles before! I had a few salsa recipes from here to try but please share anyways :-)

Mine has a hard time cooking in the middle. My cakes always look sad and need extra trimming off the top. :(

Pickles, I literally cut up two cucumbers. Boiled 1.5 cups of vinegar with 1.5 cups water and 2tbsp of salt. I added the cut cucumbers to jars, with about three cloves of garlic and fresh dill. Once the liquid was boiled enough to dissolve the salt, I poured into jars. Let it cool then refrigerate. Found it on Pinterest. I snuck one and the flavour needs to sink in more, but it was good. :)

Salsa, I dumped two cans of chunky tomatoes, a few cloves of garlic, two jalapeƱo, one onion, and cilantro into the blender. It tastes like the stuff in Mexican restaurants back home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 08:21:29 PM »

Pickles, I literally cut up two cucumbers. Boiled 1.5 cups of vinegar with 1.5 cups water and 2tbsp of salt. I added the cut cucumbers to jars, with about three cloves of garlic and fresh dill. Once the liquid was boiled enough to dissolve the salt, I poured into jars. Let it cool then refrigerate. Found it on Pinterest. I snuck one and the flavour needs to sink in more, but it was good. :)

Thank you!  :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 08:57:18 PM »
Thank you!  :)

Or, if you're lazy like me the Mrs Elwood's Haimisha Dills are exactly like regular dill pickles, I get them at Sainsbury's for 1.50 GBP. They aren't sweet at all and they're nice and crunchy. They'd be perfect for a burger and eating on their own... I've probably eaten 6 jars in the last month...

If someone could tell me how to make kosher dills, I would be all over that.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 09:13:56 PM »
Or, if you're lazy like me the Mrs Elwood's Haimisha Dills are exactly like regular dill pickles, I get them at Sainsbury's for 1.50 GBP. They aren't sweet at all and they're nice and crunchy. They'd be perfect for a burger and eating on their own... I've probably eaten 6 jars in the last month...

If someone could tell me how to make kosher dills, I would be all over that.

Haha, thanks lyonaria! Actually I'm pretty sure those were the ones recommended to me a while back when I was also grumbling about the price of those gold plated M&S pickles that I refuse to buy either.

This summer though, the fruit and veg has been so good in Aldi that between there and M&S for meat and treats, I don't think I've actually made it anywhere else  for months!

They sound great. I must make a special pickle trip! :D

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 09:28:39 PM »
Haha, thanks lyonaria! Actually I'm pretty sure those were the ones recommended to me a while back when I was also grumbling about the price of those gold plated M&S pickles that I refuse to buy either.

This summer though, the fruit and veg has been so good in Aldi that between there and M&S for meat and treats, I don't think I've actually made it anywhere else  for months!

I agree, I'm going to have to make a special trip. We mostly shop at aldis, so I'm going to have to make a special trip!

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 11:02:30 PM »

There isn't an M&S all that close to me... I did see those pickles though when I was in a grocery section of one. I just couldn't bring myself buy them at that price, not at the rate I would eat them! haha. Sainsbury's and Morrisons are the closest stores for me, and only my Sainsbury's has them. We tend to do a main grocery delivery from Tesco, my husband's Crohn's has been flaring up and a full grocery shop is a bit much for him still. So we do a run to Morrions or Sainbury's every so often. (when I need popsicles (from Morrisons) or my pickles) Our local Aldi wasn't very nice when we went. It's really dark inside and cramped, and I didn't think they had a good variety. I might give them another chance one of these days. It is in the same area as our Morrisons.

I think it was Albatross who told me of the Haimisha dills on my pickle thread. :) Before I tried the Haimisha dills I was eating a Sainsbury pickle that had less sweetness to it but rather a lot of mustard flavour. I kept meaning to make refrigerator pickles, like my mom and grandma used to...but I never got around to it.

I agree, I'm going to have to make a special trip. We mostly shop at aldis, so I'm going to have to make a special trip!

I'm stupidly picky about pickles and they are really nice. I so wish our Aldi was bigger and less dark. Everyone always has nice things to say about theirs!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 11:48:58 PM »
I think it was Albatross who told me of the Haimisha dills on my pickle thread. :)

Yes! that was where I read about them!  :)

Quote from: lyonaria link=topic=88303.msg1147057#msg1147057date=1471212150
I'm stupidly picky about pickles and they are really nice.

I liked the Heinz Kosher Dill Spears the best. They had a little more sweetness than some, but not too much. And I liked all that stuff floating around in the jar!   :D
How would you say they compare to those?

• Liked: 584
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 06:07:45 AM »
.. I decided to try making my own.

Well done, you!  :D
I've made my own as well, and it's not difficult at all... just used a recipe I found online and added extra garlic!  I also used the same recipe and made some with courgette instead of cucumber when someone in the pub gave me a huge bag of courgettes from their garden.

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 10:18:47 AM »
Yes! that was where I read about them!  :)

I liked the Heinz Kosher Dill Spears the best. They had a little more sweetness than some, but not too much. And I liked all that stuff floating around in the jar!   :D
How would you say they compare to those?

I'm not sure if I tried the heinz brand or not, but the first ones I tried were definitely pickle spears! The first ones I tried were way too sweet for me, like bread and butter pickles. blech. haha. They had sugar as their first ingredient, so I didn't try any others with sugar first.

The Haimisha dills have lots of floaty bits in the jar! And no sugar! These taste just like a normal run of the mill dill pickle that you would get on a hamburger back in the States. They're the whole mini gherkins. I really wish I could figure out Kosher Dills. Those are my favourite.

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 07:37:27 PM »
I like sainsburys brand dill pickles in vinegar. I have gotten used to the taste now and they aren't sweet and cost around a pound
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 10:25:01 PM »
I like sainsburys brand dill pickles in vinegar. I have gotten used to the taste now and they aren't sweet and cost around a pound

I think those are the ones I settled on first before finding the Haimisha dills by Mrs Elwood. I didnt look at them at first because the name was too far from what I expected. They're only 50p more than those and the jar might be bigger. I can't remember. Haha. The Sainsbury's ones were a bit more mustardy than and a little bit sweet.

• Liked: 82
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 10:38:15 PM »
Do not get the marks& spencers pickles....They are awful

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 10:43:45 PM »
Do not get the marks& spencers pickles....They are awful

That's really good to know!  ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab