Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: American Bacon, how I miss thee....  (Read 969 times)

• Liked: 9
American Bacon, how I miss thee....
« on: August 16, 2016, 11:09:28 AM »
Is the difference between American and British bacon the cut? How do I find lean, crispy bacon in Kent? I'm guessing a butcher, but how do I ask and what am I asking for exactly?

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: American Bacon, how I miss thee....
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 11:19:55 AM »
American bacon is cut from belly pork, but back bacon (usual British bacon) is cut from the fatback.  'Streaky bacon' is cut from the belly though and is pretty close. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon
I don't think American bacon is lean though! Quite the opposite I think, which is why it gets so crispy.   
I'm pretty sure people have been able to get Oscar Meyer bacon from ASDA.  I can't comment though because I don't shop at ASDA.  If I'm going for something really really crispy, I go for Italian Pancetta. 

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 11:23:46 AM »
Is the difference between American and British bacon the cut? How do I find lean, crispy bacon in Kent? I'm guessing a butcher, but how do I ask and what am I asking for exactly?

It is a different cut:
American bacon is pork belly. British bacon I think is back or shoulder, similar to Canadian bacon, but it's different than theirs too.

At the grocery store look or ask for Streaky Bacon. I can get smoked or non-smoked at Sainsbury's and Tesco. Other stores probably have it as well. I just prefer those two stores. The bacon is a nice thick cut and I like the flavour on it, I get smoked to get the US flavour. I don't have a good Aldi or Lidl nearby. It's not exactly like US bacon, but it's really close!

Do NOT get the Oscar Meyer brand if you find it. It's paper thin and not very nice.

To get your UK streaky bacon to be crispy and amazing cook it slowly so the fat in it gets a chance to render. We add a little bit of olive oil to the pan to help it along.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:24:54 AM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 35
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 11:30:57 AM »
If you have a Costco nearby & are a Costco member, they have a large pre-cooked container (is the best way to put it) in the frozen section.  It's by Kirkwood I think & you get something like 3-5 lbs in the "tub".  Takes between 20 & 30 secs to re-heat in the micro.  Pure & Delicious Hog Heaven when you're craving American Pig  lol  I ended up taking all of it out of the container cuz taking up too much room in fridge.  It's all wrapped up safe and snug in a big ziplock baggy.

**Sorry my partner says it's in the chilled section.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 11:50:07 AM by redhawk »

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 11:39:25 AM »
If you have a Costco nearby & are a Costco member, they have a large pre-cooked container (is the best way to put it) in the frozen section.  It's by Kirkwood I think & you get something like 3-5 lbs in the "tub".  Takes between 20 & 30 secs to re-heat in the micro.  Pure & Delicious Hog Heaven when you're craving American Pig  lol  I ended up taking all of it out of the container cuz taking up too much room in fridge.  It's all wrapped up safe and snug in a big ziplock baggy.

Sorry, if I read that right... You're keeping something that's supposed to be kept frozen in the fridge and not the freezer? I hope you eat it all within a few days. That bacon will only last up to 5 days once it's defrosted and the package is opened. After that you're playing Russian Roulette with your gut... Unless you're like my dad and have an iron stomach.

edited to add: It's the food handler in me. Once you worked in a good restaurant a few years you can't help but pay attention to things like this.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:41:49 AM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 02:13:44 PM »
To get your UK streaky bacon to be crispy and amazing cook it slowly so the fat in it gets a chance to render.

This is key...absolutely.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 02:38:20 PM »
Yup, smoked streaky bacon cooked slowly (put it in a cold skillet) is the closest thing to American bacon I've found! Sainsbury's brand (it's actually labeled as Danish bacon, oddly) and Waitrose are the best in my opinion. Asda's was pretty terrible.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 03:31:26 PM »
I need to tell somebody this and this is as good a place as any--

In Spain I ate fried pig ears , fried pig face and stewed pig tail. The tail was pretty much like you'd expect, but the face was excellent.  I ordered it twice.

• Liked: 85
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 03:34:26 PM »

In Spain I ate fried pig ears , fried pig face and stewed pig tail. The tail was pretty much like you'd expect, but the face was excellent.  I ordered it twice.

We're headed to Bilbao in October, and I'm going to put that on the list. Were the ears worth a shout?

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 03:49:37 PM »

The restaurant I worked at in the States before I moved made their own headcheese and he had pig cheek on the menu for a little while too. It was either seasonal or a special, it wasn't one of the usual items. The cheek was nice actually, not a large piece of meat, but it had a great texture!

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 04:20:11 PM »
We're headed to Bilbao in October, and I'm going to put that on the list. Were the ears worth a shout?

The ears were fine, but came as a little piece of fatty goodness attached to a little piece of cartilage.  You had to eat around the cartilage and discard it, like the pit of an olive.  The skin and face was just pure bacony goodness.  All these bits were fried and chopped into small pieces that tasted like the world's best bacon. 

You are going to love Spanish food!  I also really enjoyed the fried baby squid.  There was lots of normal squid rings (probably frozen), but one place had whole baby squid and they were great.

• Liked: 85
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 10:18:44 PM »
The ears were fine, but came as a little piece of fatty goodness attached to a little piece of cartilage.  You had to eat around the cartilage and discard it, like the pit of an olive.  The skin and face was just pure bacony goodness.  All these bits were fried and chopped into small pieces that tasted like the world's best bacon. 

You are going to love Spanish food!  I also really enjoyed the fried baby squid.  There was lots of normal squid rings (probably frozen), but one place had whole baby squid and they were great.

My daydreams from here shall essentially be fried pig face + red wine and baby squid with white. Y cerveza por supuesto.

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 10:27:54 AM »
My daydreams from here shall essentially be fried pig face + red wine and baby squid with white. Y cerveza por supuesto.

One great discovery for me was something called Tinto Verano , that is sweet red wine, similar to Sangria but without all the floating fruit.  This was served in a giant glass with plenty of ice. 

This, along with the custom of bringing you some proper nibbles whenever you buy a drink, made me a big fan of Spain.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 01:01:54 PM »

This is high praise coming from a Carolinian....you guys know your way around a pig I hear...
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 01:15:09 PM »
Squeeeee!  Squeeeeee!

Sponsored Links