Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where is everyone from?  (Read 13486 times)

• Liked: 56
Re: Where is everyone from?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2016, 10:20:26 AM »
Born in a tiny WI village that is globally famous for one particular product - whenever I go back to the US and the first stop is the airport bathroom after disembarking, I get a wave of nostalgia :P

I didn't grow up there, however - Anchorage, AK (summers in WI), then we moved to Providence, RI for 9 months, then Las Vegas, NV (summers in WI). My parents are absolute pros of the North American cross continental move (actually they are doing it one last time in a few months, NV->WI).

Since high school its been: Reno, London, Reno, Lund (Sweden), Chicago, Madison, Minneapolis-St Paul, and now back to London, which has always felt the most comfortable place for me.

Ideally we would like to eventually be able to split our time between Sweden (west of Stockholm), London, and a place in the US (ideally southern California).

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2016, 05:40:34 PM »
See if you can guess:

I've helpfully put an X over my hometown. Not my arm btw, but that of a fellow native.

Spoiler: show
Yeah, that's Ohio

Came here by way of New Jersey though.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2016, 06:58:52 PM »
I am originally from the Akron (born)/ Canton (raised), Ohio area.  Moved several times around that area (my parents keep promising that *this* will absolutely be the last move; I have stopped believing them).  I have not actually lived anywhere else in the US but have now lived in Leicester and Essex in the UK.  Living outside of Southend-on-Sea currently.  I would love to move up north but, alas, the pull of family is just too strong.  I imagine that we will move back to the US eventually, though I would be perfectly happy to stay here indefinitely.  Shame I am so fond of my parents....
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 1
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2016, 07:06:24 PM »
I'm born and raised in the suburbs of St Louis, Missouri. I'm now in Peterborough since December 2015. Really liking it so far.m

I lived in South City STL for about a year! Then I met my husband and moved to the KC area in 2013.
We're actually looking into Cambridgeshire to live. Peterborough keeps popping up in my searches. Do you still like it there? If so, can you give some specifics?
Thanks! :)

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2016, 07:09:00 PM »
I am originally from the Akron (born)/ Canton (raised), Ohio area.

My dad is from Akron!

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2016, 07:16:03 PM »
Hello! I'm originally from Columbus Ohio! I've also lived in two small towns in Ohio, South City St. Louis, and suburban KC.
My husband, our 18 year old daughter and I will be staying in London starting January 2017 until my husband finds work and we are able to determine where we can buy a house!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 07:17:08 PM by MrsLaw »

• Liked: 154
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2016, 09:43:58 PM »
I lived in South City STL for about a year! Then I met my husband and moved to the KC area in 2013.
We're actually looking into Cambridgeshire to live. Peterborough keeps popping up in my searches. Do you still like it there? If so, can you give some specifics?
Thanks! :)

Hiya! Peterborough is nice in parts, just Like any town I suppose. I like it because it's big enough to not feel so isolated, like some of the smaller villages.. but also close enough to big cities. I like that we can drive or take the train to London or Cambridge for the weekend. Plus there's enough shopping in town to keep you occupied. Plenty of restaurants. There's a couple business parks, so work is available around here. Seems to be a popular place for people to commute from outside the area into. I have only been here for about a year, but I like it so far. I can get around town by bus if I need to. There's a really nice park called Central Park if you have kids or pets, plus a lot of little parks too. There is plenty of pubs and a handful of nightclubs if your into that. I enjoy the outdoor markets on occasion, and there is often events/markets in the cathedral square that are enjoyable to go to. There's also a nice zoo about 20 mins outside town. We have a 24 hour Tesco super market, which is nice.

If your looking to rent, Hampton Vale is nice but supposedly the land is built on flood planes so the ground is [supposedly] sinking. Wouldn't recommend buying there. But the neighborhood itself is very nice, with lots of little parks, shops and restaurants. If it weren't for that, we probably would buy in there.

There's also a new build area that's quite big called Cardea in Stanground. We're looking at buying there. Also an area called sugar way is nice.

I would probably stay away from the Orton Malborne and Goldhay aren't the best areas along with dohsthorpe. The other Ortons are nice (think they are Waterville and longville).

Also worth a look to look at Eye, Huntington, and Corby, which are a little bit outside the main Peterborough area. There's also quite a few little villages a bit more in the country, if you want something quieter.

My biggest complaint is all of the round abouts... seems like you drive through one just to get into another In all seriousness though, it is a decent place to live. I know there's a lot better places in the country, but location wise it's alright.

• Liked: 387
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2016, 11:04:51 PM »
Shoutout from New England!   [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I've moved around a bit before heading across the Pond, but was probably 80% CT and MA and 20% NJ and PA.

• Liked: 20
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2016, 06:47:13 AM »
We expats do have wanderlust! Born and raised in Kansas City, Mo. Moved to Orlando, Charleston SC, then to a tiny town in Tennessee (short stints as a traveling nurse) Back to Orlando (no offense but I hated it- do not understand why anyone would live/ retire in FL) Met my hubby in Orlando, moved to Tampa, then Austin, TX, then moved to Yardley, Pa and stayed for 6 blessed years. (Just outside Philly, loved it!)  Now living in Glasgow and LOVE it so far! Moved multiple times in each of those cities. Any time I think I want to buy something, I ask myself if I want to move it. The answer is no! We are very pared down by most people standards and I like it that way. The plan is to eventually move back to the states. Will see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2016, 01:00:51 AM »
Hiya! Peterborough is nice in parts, just Like any town I suppose. I like it because it's big enough to not feel so isolated, like some of the smaller villages.. but also close enough to big cities. I like that we can drive or take the train to London or Cambridge for the weekend. Plus there's enough shopping in town to keep you occupied. Plenty of restaurants. There's a couple business parks, so work is available around here. Seems to be a popular place for people to commute from outside the area into. I have only been here for about a year, but I like it so far. I can get around town by bus if I need to. There's a really nice park called Central Park if you have kids or pets, plus a lot of little parks too. There is plenty of pubs and a handful of nightclubs if your into that. I enjoy the outdoor markets on occasion, and there is often events/markets in the cathedral square that are enjoyable to go to. There's also a nice zoo about 20 mins outside town. We have a 24 hour Tesco super market, which is nice.

If your looking to rent, Hampton Vale is nice but supposedly the land is built on flood planes so the ground is [supposedly] sinking. Wouldn't recommend buying there. But the neighborhood itself is very nice, with lots of little parks, shops and restaurants. If it weren't for that, we probably would buy in there.

There's also a new build area that's quite big called Cardea in Stanground. We're looking at buying there. Also an area called sugar way is nice.

I would probably stay away from the Orton Malborne and Goldhay aren't the best areas along with dohsthorpe. The other Ortons are nice (think they are Waterville and longville).

Also worth a look to look at Eye, Huntington, and Corby, which are a little bit outside the main Peterborough area. There's also quite a few little villages a bit more in the country, if you want something quieter.

My biggest complaint is all of the round abouts... seems like you drive through one just to get into another In all seriousness though, it is a decent place to live. I know there's a lot better places in the country, but location wise it's alright.

Thank you so much for the detailed response!! We'll look into the areas you suggested. :) 

• Liked: 8
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2016, 11:03:02 AM »
I'm from Alabama. I lived there my entire life until moving to central London in September.
Married: June 25, 2016
Application received in Sheffield: August 11, 2016

• Liked: 18
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2016, 07:40:18 PM »
Grew up near Glasgow.
Went to Herriot-Watt University when it was in the middle of Edinburgh.
Spent three years as a roadie, so travelled a whole lot---but home was a suitcase in a Holiday Inn.
Lived in Santa Monica for three years.
Escaped north to the SF Bay area (El Cerrito to be exact). Lasted 20 years there.
Further north to Eugene, Oregon 14 years ago. We love it here, but seriously considering moving back the west of Scotland.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2016, 09:53:37 AM »
home was a suitcase in a Holiday Inn.

There's a song in there somewhere.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 16
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2018, 05:12:19 PM »
I was born in South Korea. Moved to Tokyo at the age of 5 due to my father's job as a diplomat. Until I graduated from high school in Japan, we went back and forth between 2 countries every 2 to 3 years.( consulates and embassy)

After high school, I went to Seattle to study English for 2years. Then moved to Hawaii for 4yrs to finish college. Then back to Tokyo for 9years to work. ( While I was in Tokyo, I was sent to NY, Singapore and London for training) Then quit my corporate job in 2010  to move to America to pursue different career. It's 2018 and I am ready to move to London

I think I moved about 30 times

• Liked: 584
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2018, 05:22:49 PM »

I think I moved about 30 times

Just before my most recent house move, I sat and counted them all up.  In 55 years, I've moved 31 times!

Sponsored Links