Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: In-Year Admissions  (Read 1244 times)

• Liked: 4
In-Year Admissions
« on: August 17, 2016, 01:22:25 AM »
So despite applying late, our first choice primary school had several openings in our son's year and he got in!

Secondary school for our daughter, however, is another story.  We listed 3 schools for her, she is 24th, 40th, and 28th on their waiting lists. Just sent in one more to a neighboring borough yesterday.  School starts fairly soon. They have to provide a place somewhere for her, right? And we can appeal?
Would appreciate any insight into this process...

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
Re: In-Year Admissions
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 08:10:40 PM »
Yes, by law the council does have to find a place for her. That's why it's important to get the appeal started; the committee that oversees that process will have to determine what to offer her.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 10:45:15 PM »
You would start it now?

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 01:51:44 AM »
Yes, immediately. The panel then has to begin the process of checking if any of the schools have the capacity to take an extra student, or finding the closest school with an opening (which may be under a different education authority.)

Either way, they have to resolve it with a place somewhere for your daughter, and it's best to get that going now.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 04:44:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice! I thought an appeal was made as to why a child should go to a specific school?

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 05:07:34 PM »
Thanks for the advice! I thought an appeal was made as to why a child should go to a specific school?

That's what we did when faced with a similar circumstance.  We looked on the school website and found some bunkem about how the school was uniquely teaching languages.  Then we wrote an appeal that was filled with just as much gibberish about our kid being bi lingual and our kid had to go to this school because of this. 

Also, my wife kept visiting the office and made sure to make it clear that we cared about it.  Literally, she checked 3 times a week.

I don't know if any of this helped, but our kid did get into the school. 

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 05:11:09 PM »
That's what we did when faced with a similar circumstance.  We looked on the school website and found some bunkem about how the school was uniquely teaching languages.  Then we wrote an appeal that was filled with just as much gibberish about our kid being bi lingual and our kid had to go to this school because of this. 

Also, my wife kept visiting the office and made sure to make it clear that we cared about it.  Literally, she checked 3 times a week.

I don't know if any of this helped, but our kid did get into the school.

Thanks! We are Anglican and our first choice school is C of E.  Also it focuses on the built environment, something that interests our daughter a lot.

Sponsored Links