Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bizarre Jobs and Current Jobs  (Read 14532 times)

• Liked: 1892
Re: Bizarre Jobs and Current Jobs
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »
I mean, maybe with some hands-on training. But I can do the maths and sciences around various maritimey things, and talk all sorts of relevant history and culture. My capstone project was about weather patterns and climate issues in relation to the voyage of a scientific research vessel in the early 1900s, all from the ship's original logs. But, much as I'm an academic, I'm not sure I'm entirely cut out for academia.

There's also a great episode of This American Life called "Captain's Log" that you might really like.   

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2016, 10:24:18 AM »
My first couple of jobs were at now-defunct video stores! It was pretty easy and I always got the DVD's of latest movies before they were available to the public.

I then worked at a preschool and before and after school care...NEVER AGAIN.

I worked around my university doing whatever job came my way, from delivering student surveys to working the student post (which I hated). Then I got settled in the print room and loved it. I learned so much. I was also in media studies and got to work on my own media for presentations, etc.

My best job was working at a football (soccer) club, even though it wasnt the club I follow! I was there for over two years until I left towards the end of my student visa. I was working in the community side of things but got to meet a lot of players and go to a few games. Again, not my club but the Premier League it so expensive, I appreciated the day out for free.

My Master of Philosophy degree (M.Phil...a degree nobody ever heard of *sigh*), is in Football, Media and Fan Relationships. Sadly I have not been able to get back into football, but I'm doing some social media and content management in the meantime.

A masters of Philosophy in fan relationships?   My head is exploding.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2016, 10:30:24 AM »
A masters of Philosophy in fan relationships?   My head is exploding.

Football fans relationship with the clubs, past and present, and where traditional media lies in it (because sports clubs are increasingly using their own media and no longer rely on traditional media like they once did).

• Liked: 537
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2016, 12:37:22 PM »
Cool!  :D  Yes, they look so cute but I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of one!  ;)

Aren't they the ones who have square poop? Or is that wombats?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2016, 12:43:30 PM »

I then worked at a preschool and before and after school care...NEVER AGAIN.

I worked around my university doing whatever job came my way, from delivering student surveys to working the student post (which I hated). Then I got settled in the print room and loved it. I learned so much. I was also in media studies and got to work on my own media for presentations, etc.

I worked at an after school program in college. It was rough since I had to be there by 6:30am. That made me want to die... but it was nice as I didn't have to do too much and they were flexible with my class schedule. I stopped after 2 semesters. I hate being awake that early!

I worked at my University as well, I staffed the information desk in the student center and planned events for Welcome Week (the first week of classes or it may have started the Friday before...). We were the Q-crew. Haha. I got paid the equivalent of a semester of tuition to sit at a desk for under 10 hours a week and do my homework. That was one of the best jobs I ever had.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2016, 12:51:07 PM »
I worked at my University as well, I staffed the information desk in the student center and planned events for Welcome Week (the first week of classes or it may have started the Friday before...). We were the Q-crew. Haha. I got paid the equivalent of a semester of tuition to sit at a desk for under 10 hours a week and do my homework. That was one of the best jobs I ever had.

Wow, I bet!! I did front desk duties as well. It was quite busy during term time but summer's were the worst! At least I was allowed to go on Facebook...and when I was working in the post room, I would watch TV. I literally only have 15 minutes of actual work I had to do but still had to stick around in case anyone showed up!

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2016, 01:01:17 PM »
Wow, I bet!! I did front desk duties as well. It was quite busy during term time but summer's were the worst! At least I was allowed to go on Facebook...and when I was working in the post room, I would watch TV. I literally only have 15 minutes of actual work I had to do but still had to stick around in case anyone showed up!
School jobs could be amazing for not having lots to do. My school Info desk was busy during the first few weeks of the semester, but after everyone knew where they were going it was pretty dead. The worst thing was the guys who would come over and hit on you because you couldn't leave...

They had other people working the evenings weekends and summer.

• Liked: 170
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2016, 01:58:26 PM »
Oh and I just remembered my stint as a receptionist at a clinic for nHRT (menopause treatment). Also got to be involved during a hostile takeover. Now that was exciting! I got to see into the inner sanctum as I did tonnes of photocopying - probably a bit illegal too!

Square poop?? I didn't see any. But they do eat their poop! Nasty!
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2016, 02:10:11 PM »
I really had no idea that you guys are so interesting.  We've got many skills covered, especially physics and dance.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2016, 03:47:36 PM »
Did all the usual stuff as waitress, file clerk and book seller.  Retired as a librarian but to be perfectly accurate could only get library assistant jobs over last ten years.  (Why did I spend three years getting an MLS?!)  Best job ever was as a curator of visual resources in art library at Big Name U.  Got to organize collections of photographs and slides of art work.  Now there's job no longer around.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2016, 06:02:27 PM »
I really had no idea that you guys are so interesting.  We've got many skills covered, especially physics and dance.

I sing opera! We could definitely but on a lovely show. :)

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2016, 06:04:06 PM »

Square poop?? I didn't see any. But they do eat their poop! Nasty!

It's wombats that have the square poop, I googled it. It takes me a sec to remember which one looks a bit like a guinea pig...

• Liked: 149
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2016, 06:15:50 PM »
I sing opera! We could definitely but on a lovely show. :)
Not opera....but I can play this on mandolin (not as well of course)......if I still had a mandolin. Sold it....I only have an octave mandolin....which I don't practice. Thinking of going ukulele......
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 06:17:17 PM by F4mandolin »
Fred

• Liked: 533
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2016, 06:54:21 PM »
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2016, 07:03:50 PM »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab