Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bizarre Jobs and Current Jobs  (Read 14517 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Bizarre Jobs and Current Jobs
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2016, 12:17:58 AM »
That's a very viable plan. And you can buy the domain name at any time -- when you come up with the right one, snap it up. Buying the domain name is cheap, and means you'll have prevented someone else from getting there first. Then, when you have the money, tie it to Wordpress and pay that ongoing fee.

Sorry about falling of the face of the earth. I was in the far reaches of the Wirral, and am now playing catch-up with work. So many clients, so little time. On the other hand, I haven't had to wear a bra in ages, so I can't complain. Happy to help in any way I can -- shall DM you my email address in case you have need for it!

That's exactly what I suggested to BriKH this morning after she PM'd me. :) She just needs to decide on the domain name. 😊
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2016, 10:00:23 AM »
My next door neighbours have a family jazz a capella group and they are fantastic. They also play various instruments.....one of them is banging on the drums right now. I found them after googling my village to see what would come up....and there they were at our village hall.....doing The 5th Fifth Dimension's version of Up Up and Away...

This is awesome!!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2016, 10:15:11 AM »
Some interesting jobs out there! 
Hmm... things I have done, though nothing too bizarre I don't think:

At age 11-13, I was cleaning my grandmother's house for her a few times a week, as she was unable to do it herself easily. 
Then, worked at plant nursery for years and years through all my teenage years.  I still have an incredible love of gardening and growing my own food.
Then I worked on an organic farm, which included milking the goats, raising Thanksgiving turkeys, and planting and picking fields and fields of stuff
I worked in the bookstore at Uni for the great discount
Worked in my parents music store selling musical instruments and accessories, doing adminy stuff, etc
Worked as an admin assistant for an Engineering Outreach programme
Worked in food service, slinging concessions at a sports/music arena
Taught trombone lessons
Worked in R&D for a place that did coated and laminated films and adhesives
Worked quality control and manufacturing of a rubber factory making soles of shoes
Have continued to work in medical and plastics engineering related fields since then. I've got degrees in Plastics Engineering (BSc) and Biomedical Engineering Design and Manufacturing (MSc), so working in what I trained for.  I quite like it most of the time, but my dream job is to be a famous jazz trombone player. Alas, I'm not doing that, though I do actually occasionally get paid as a musician too

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2016, 10:25:31 PM »
I work as a Respiratory Therapist and have done so for the last 26 years. Unfortunately, the job doesn't exist in the UK, I think it's a specialty of nurses or physiotherapists there.

My most interesting past job: a cook on a treasure-salvaging boat based in Key West, Florida. I worked for Mel Fisher's Treasure Salvors during the summer of 1985. Great memories!   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuestra_Se%C3%B1ora_de_Atocha [nofollow]

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2016, 09:23:51 AM »
I work as a Respiratory Therapist and have done so for the last 26 years. Unfortunately, the job doesn't exist in the UK, I think it's a specialty of nurses or physiotherapists there.

My most interesting past job: a cook on a treasure-salvaging boat based in Key West, Florida. I worked for Mel Fisher's Treasure Salvors during the summer of 1985. Great memories!   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuestra_Se%C3%B1ora_de_Atocha
Share some stories!  Did you get to hold some treasure?

• Liked: 3
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
Share some stories!  Did you get to hold some treasure?

I handled a LOT of the treasure but didn't get to keep any  :(
A few memories:
~When the particular search boat that I was based on was in dry dock for hull work, I got stuck cleaning silver bars in the company building. Each "bar" was the size of a loaf of bread and really heavy! One of the other workers carried a bar to a formed-plastic utility sink and dropped it in... only to have it break right through the sink and hit the floor below!
~Raw emeralds were being found along with silver, gold, etc. The divers couldn't put the emeralds in their underwater net bags because they'd go right through the net. So they would push the emeralds up into their face masks. So great to see a diver breaking the surface of the water with emeralds lining the inside of his/her mask! About 6 lb of raw emeralds have been recovered, the largest about 70 carats.
~Met several US celebrities that came to visit the site including Peter Fonda and Johnny Carson. Johnny was a diver and dove the site. We tied up all the boats together at the site and had a party that day on the biggest boat!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:42:58 PM by SylviasChild »

« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2016, 11:36:06 AM »
I handled a LOT of the treasure but didn't get to keep any  :(
A few memories:
~When the particular search boat that I was based on was in dry dock for hull work, I got stuck cleaning silver bars in the company building. Each "bar" was the size of a loaf of bread and really heavy! One of the other workers carried a bar to a formed-plastic utility sink and dropped it in... only to have it break right through the sink and hit the floor below!
~Raw emeralds were being found along with silver, gold, etc. The divers couldn't put the emeralds in their underwater net bags because they'd go right through the net. So they would push the emeralds up into their face masks. So great to see a diver breaking the surface of the water with emeralds lining the inside of his/her mask! About 6 lb of raw emeralds have been recovered, the largest about 70 carats.
~Met several US celebrities that came to visit the site including Peter Fonda and Johnny Carson. Johnny was a diver and dove the site. We tied up all the boats together at the site and had a party that day on the biggest boat!
COOL! 

I think we have all the knowledge and experience for some cool ocean based activities. I propose that we charter a big boat and go to Calais and pick up some refugees and give them a ride to the Marina in Brighton.  We'd save some lives.  It sounds like a joke but there's a rich guy who actually does this in the Med with his yacht.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2016, 11:54:16 AM »
I propose that we charter a big boat and go to Calais and pick up some refugees and give them a ride to the Marina in Brighton. 

I distance myself from this Jimbo person and disavow any knowledge that he ever suggested this.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 387
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2016, 10:59:59 AM »
One of the good ones is when I worked for the Department of Public Health, going out in the field and taking water samples to determine if local businesses were following correct disposal procedures, and testing beaches to ensure bacteria levels were within acceptable limits for bathers.  Businesses hated me as once I did gather enough evidence to get one taken to court for dodgy wastewater practices.  I had to be sneaky to obtain samples from then on.  I felt like I was on a detective TV show; I needed a soundtrack!  :D

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2016, 11:21:46 AM »
One of the good ones is when I worked for the Department of Public Health, going out in the field and taking water samples to determine if local businesses were following correct disposal procedures, and testing beaches to ensure bacteria levels were within acceptable limits for bathers.  Businesses hated me as once I did gather enough evidence to get one taken to court for dodgy wastewater practices.  I had to be sneaky to obtain samples from then on.  I felt like I was on a detective TV show; I needed a soundtrack!  :D

Erin Brockovich!  ;D

• Liked: 18
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2016, 07:28:07 PM »
This thread isn’t that old, and I’m new here so here goes.

In high school I worked construction every summer.
At uni I mostly worked summers for a theater lighting company, lots of work in Edinburgh for the festival.
After uni I worked as a sound and lighting technician, or more colloquially, a roadie. Probably the first roadie with a degree in EE.
Then I worked in recording studios in LA.
Then film post-production in the SF Bay area.
Then contract software development, which should keep the wolf from the door until I can retire.

Boy, 50 years in six lines.

« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2016, 10:38:16 AM »
Another software contractor!  How are you finding the market and what do you do? 

I'm currently working in the city, supposedly doing data warehousing, but in reality I just write SQL. 

« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2016, 09:14:22 AM »
Boy, 50 years in six lines.

How about two words? Mostly bookstores.
Used to work at the magnificent Scribner's in NYC, where we'd get the occasional VIP. Bob Dylan once had to move out of my way as I was carrying a stack of books, I think it was Bonfire of the Vanities.

• Liked: 18
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2016, 11:00:56 PM »
I mostly write custom Mac application software. The advantage of a small market is that most people stay away from it which leaves more for me.  I've got plenty of work, I just wish I didn't need it.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2016, 03:21:09 AM »
Hmm.

There was all that babysitting while in high school, which was hideous, but that hardly counts. Seriously underpaid, I was, for the three monsters I had to watch.

My first paid "real" job was folding tacos. Not entirely an accurate description - the taco shell slid by on a rack, and I put lettuce and cheese on it and shoved it further along. One after the other after the other. All shift, standing in one place, next to a vat of particularly caustic-fumed chili sauce. It was my feet that hurt the worst, but my eyes watered profusely and constantly. I really, really hated that job. Still not fond of chili sauce, either.

Then I worked in a local TV station, running the tape machines - I was responsible for videotaping our local programming, and making sure commercials were cued up on the machines when the time came for them to be broadcast. That sort of thing. I liked the job, but had to drive a long way late at night in a very old car that kept breaking down. No bueno to be a very young woman broken down by the side of a deserted highway in the oilfields, were there were a lot of really skeevy characters. Five mile walk to a pay phone. In the dark. At 2:00am. In all kinds of miserable weather. As they used to say locally, in the winter there's nothing between there and the North Pole but a "bobwar" fence. (Wincing just remembering that!) Ok, then...

I was a lineman for the phone company - the first woman they'd ever hired for that job in that part of the state, apparently, given the static my first boss gave me when I reported for work the first day to pick up my airline tickets to training school wearing sandals. "They can make me hire a woman, but they can't make me "work" her in the field!" (sigh. Those were the days, all right. ) Made it through the month-long training school top of my class in electronics, first aid, etc. But was just not good at climbing telephone poles. Developed a paralyzing fear of heights after "burning" 18 ft down a pole while still belted on when my cleats dug out of a rotten spot in the wood of the pole. I had splinters in interesting places. My ankle is still a little messed up....

Then I worked in a laundry/dry-cleaners, handling some of the most amazingly filthy clothing. Including one heavy coat soaked in crude oil, brought in by an oilfield worker who was just back from the North Slope of Alaska. We ran it through the dry-cleaning solution by itself, six times, before we got it pretty much clean. Smelled awful. I probably will have brain cancer from having my arms up to the elbows in those chemicals. It's also kind of amazing I didn't get all sorts of diseases - we had to pre-treat underwear and underarms for stains, and there were some pretty gross articles of clothing.... People would bring in huge boxes full of absolutely reeking clothing that I'd have to sort through. As in, did you people REALLY wear them smelling like that? And no, we didn't have protective gloves to wear, either. I did have a stick I'd use to pick up those that were just too, too gross to touch! This was out in the desert southwest. It'd be 90F with 90F humidity in that building from the steam presses (which I also ran) so we'd go outside on break to where it was 110F but only 15% humidity to walk to the gas station to buy a bottle of coke from the vending machine. That coke was soooo good! Made it a couple of years there, saving every penny I could.

Then I moved to the big city (you'd laugh at which one) and worked on an assembly line, making the first calculators, and the first digital watches. Heat in the apartment was so bad that I used to sleep in the bathtub in the winter, because the bathroom had an open-flame wall heater and it was the warmest room in the house. The cat's water bowl used to freeze over in the kitchen. It was the Happiest Christmas I'd had for years when someone gave me an electric blanket! The cat became my new best friend, too, always under the blanket purring. On Friday nights (payday) when I got off work at midnight I'd go to the all-night grocery store and buy a box of cookies and a quart of milk, then go home and read library books all night with the electric blanket pulled up to my ears, snarfing cookies and really cold milk. It wasn't a bad life. I was 120 pounds at 5'11", and I could eat all the cookies in town at that point and it didn't put any weight on me. Wish that was still true! (Both the weight and the cookies part!)

Then I worked for 10 years running mainframe IBM computers. The ones with the blinky lights and spinning tape reels, just like in the old sci-fi movies. I loved that job - I was the graveyard shift, usually alone in a rather large building, and had the radio blaring... probably explains my partial hearing loss now. One of the computers had the first "Star Trek" DOS game on it, and I was famous for accidently firing photon torpedos while in dry dock, thereby earning a serious reprimand from the operating system. (Hey, it wasn't all work!)

Then I was a full-time mom and Uni student for about 8 years.  While doing that I did some part-time gigs in Uni offices, and also testing water quality in nearby lakes and ponds for a state agency - throw the sampler out, bring in the water, play with the test tubes and chemicals, write up the reports and mail them in .... had the kid doing it at 7 years old, she was good at it!

I'd have loved to have gone back to working with the computers, but they were obsolete by then. Talk about feeling old, in my Uni there was a museum in the business school. It had glass cases in it filled with all the things I'd used daily with the machines - the keypunch cards, etc.... sigh.  :-\\\\  Plus, rotating-shift childcare was and pretty much still is non-existent.

I was then a landfill inspector.  Basically, an area governmental body had secured pass-through grants to various small-towns for waste recycling and environmental issues related to their landfills. So, my area was out in the mid-west, the size of the State of Indiana, and I had to travel several days each week (several highway hours each way) out and back to the respective towns, look at whatever it was we funded (often involving heavy boots and hazmat gear and a hike in a landfill), and report back that it was/was not on plan target.  You meet some ~really~ unique and interesting people out in the boonies, you know? And yeah, Landfills REALLY REALLY REALLY smell bad. Spent a lot of time trying to not retch. (The guys thought it was pretty funny they'd sent 'a woman' out. Right. Did not retch in front of anyone.    >:(  )

Then I started working at a University, for which all of my prior employment so adequately prepared me. ;)  While there I worked for several departments, one of which was the Theater and Dance dept. In the summers a local rep used our facilities. Whomever was directing and all the crew would be around. Was carrying a box of files to the basement when Whoopie Goldberg got on the elevator. She was really nice, pleasant to talk to. And there was the actor who played the creepy alien bounty hunter on the "X Files" who I'd run into from time to time. Usually came around a corner unexpectedly and gave me heart failure. Also a really nice guy, but I instinctively saw him as the character he played. Especially as he was very quiet when he'd come up behind you and you'd turn around and he'd just be right there..... Oy! :o

Somewhere in there - I think while doing my "mainframe computers" gig - I was also an extra for "industrial" films. (Those horrible training films that some companies make their new employees watch in orientations.)  I remember one time I got to pick up a folder and walk into a closet (which was supposed to be another office), in the background of a shot, at least two dozen times in a row while they were taping, until the lead talent got it the way the director wanted. Hell, it paid good so I was happy to do it on my "off" hours! Somewhere out there is a personnel film on how to interview employees, with my starring role as an executive walking into a closet in the background. (Ready for my close-up now, Mr. DeMille!)

And soon, hopefully very soon, I will find something interesting and bizarre to do that is new, in the UK.  I guess I could be a dog walker. Or a lolipop lady. Or a firewatcher. Or something.... ::)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 04:10:37 AM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab