Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Petition: Refund immigrants who paid the IHS and then paid NI  (Read 2659 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: UK Petition: Refund immigrants who paid the IHS and then paid NI
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2016, 10:54:06 PM »
Yes, but aren't we supposed to be moving away from these sorts of things? Aren't we all in agreement that we can evolve into a better, more equal society?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 149
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 11:19:41 AM »
Yes, but aren't we supposed to be moving away from these sorts of things? Aren't we all in agreement that we can evolve into a better, more equal society?

I can hope. I think things are changing slowly.....slowly.....slowly. People in general don't want things to change quickly.....makes them uncomfortable. Seeing the obvious general prejudices (you name it....race/immigrant/religion/political etc) that have reared their ugly heads in the last few years.....it still startles me that there is so much hatred out there of people with different opinions/views.
Fred

• Liked: 537
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 12:12:55 PM »

I'm in agreement that it's something that can happen. To quote my mom, 'people have to do their work for the world to be a better place.'' And by 'work' that's their personal issues that are holding them back from being the best person they can be. Most people just live their lives without ever questioning or thinking outside of their own experience. They're stuck in a fishbowl that society gave them and they never try and leave.

I think we all thought that racism and religious prejudice was on its way out in the world, but I think the last 2 years have shown us how wrong we all were. It was just kept private.

All it took in the US was Donald Trump 'speaking his mind' and the racists see that it's okay for them say in public what they would say in private. In the UK it was the UKIP party.

The world is a better place than it was, and it still has a long way to go.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 12:53:25 PM »
Interestingly, the ideal of an egalitarian society has been around since the ancient Greeks. In pure form (which has never existed), one of the ideals of communism is a classless society.

Lofty ideals, something to long for? Perhaps.
Something to work toward? Absolutely.
Achievable? Not in my lifetime, if ever, IMHO.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab