Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Now asking for NHS surcharge when it was $0 for 15 year old?  (Read 2918 times)

• Liked: 3595
Re: Now asking for NHS surcharge when it was $0 for 15 year old?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 03:18:42 PM »
 I think it does make a difference - if you do the calculation for a child dependant settlement visa the cost is £0 for a child under 16.

If you do the calculation for a Tier 2 child dependant the cost comes up as £600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 01:51:16 PM »
I guessed that was the case, but let myself get a little hopeful that we might be entitled to a refund! Given how much health care my son has needed since he's been here (two ICU visits and follow-up care) I don't really begrudge the fee.

• Liked: 18
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 01:22:06 PM »
This is the reply I got after sending the IHS reference number. IMO this is ridiculous. It's not a small amount of money to come up with.

'Hello,

There is currently an error on the portal which is marking these applications as IHS exempt but that under the immigration rules, children applying under Appendix FM are liable to pay the IHS charge. You shall receive an email requesting the IHS payment, please use the link to make the payment.

Regards,

IHS Team
Sheffield.'

They also waited until the very last day I was supposed to provide the payment the first time to tell me this! I could have had it paid and possibly gotten our visas back by now.
Moved to the UK April 2006
Married March 2007
Moved to the U.S. June 2009

Husband accepted new job in UK April 2016
Returning to UK Aug/Sept 2016!

Moved from UK-Germany 2022

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 01:37:55 PM »
Well, that sucks :(.

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 02:13:05 AM »
Well, that sucks :(.

Yeah it does. We're lucky we can pay. What about other families though, they may not be so fortunate. Their blase attitude about it is so frustrating.

Is there anyone who's had to pay the IHS after sending their app in, and might have some inkling of that means we're close to getting a decision? The kids are supposed to start school next week. 😮
Married March 2007

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 08:52:29 AM »
Yeah it does. We're lucky we can pay. What about other families though, they may not be so fortunate. Their blase attitude about it is so frustrating.

Is there anyone who's had to pay the IHS after sending their app in, and might have some inkling of that means we're close to getting a decision? The kids are supposed to start school next week. 😮

Unfortunately they are continuously raising the fees to try to prevent people from moving to the UK.  So if someone couldn't pay - that's exactly what they want.  We're in a very anti-immigration state now and I don't think there is an end in sight to the massive annual fee increases and increasing tension regarding immigrants in the UK.

Based on your timeline, I imagine you'll have your decision after they match the payment to your application.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 09:41:31 AM »
This is the reply I got after sending the IHS reference number. IMO this is ridiculous. It's not a small amount of money to come up with.

'Hello,

There is currently an error on the portal which is marking these applications as IHS exempt but that under the immigration rules, children applying under Appendix FM are liable to pay the IHS charge. You shall receive an email requesting the IHS payment, please use the link to make the payment.

TBH, I was surprised to read that there was no charge as children were not exempt from the IHS. I looked again after I read your first post on this, but still couildn't see it.

Don't forget that although your son has 'no recourse to public funds' your Brit husband will be able to claim some income based benefits for him vis his own benefit claim, if your husband's salary is low(ishj.

He can claim Child Benefit for each of your children if his salary is below about 50/60k, as those children live with him. And the limit of 'two children only' for the Tax Credits benefit (or its replacement benefit Universal Credit if that is in your area) doesn't start until April for new claimants.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:34:39 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 09:48:20 AM »
TBH, I was surprised to read that there was no charge as children were not exempt from the IHS. I looked again after I read your first post on this, but still couildn't see it.

Yeah, that confused me as well as I thought everyone had to pay, but then I did the questionnaire on the website and it came up with £0, so I figured I'd missed something. Didn't occur to me that it was a bug in the system.

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 10:10:02 AM »
Yeah, that confused me as well as I thought everyone had to pay, but then I did the questionnaire on the website and it came up with £0, so I figured I'd missed something. Didn't occur to me that it was a bug in the system.

I did see this on another forum recently too and people just thought UKVI had changed the rules.

Remember how it was the opposite error for those families of British armed forces? They were getting billed for their IHS number when it should have been £0, as the AF option had been missed off.

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 10:38:18 AM »
Are you aware that your 15 year old will have to show that he is still dependant on you for his next visa (if he is over 18 then) and especially for ILR in 5 years time?

He is going to have to keep lliving at home etc, untill he is granted ILR. ksands will know more on what he must do.

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 10:44:32 AM »
ksands will know more on what he must do.

Uh, actually... I was just reading your reply and thinking 'I hope Sirius knows more about that than me because I don't really know what they need to do'  ::)

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 11:16:57 AM »
Uh, actually... I was just reading your reply and thinking 'I hope Sirius knows more about that than me because I don't really know what they need to do'  ::)

;D I guess there is some reading to be done, there is time. It's a shame vinny doesn't post on here anymore as he would know that sort of thing.

On ILR. All I remember was a post from a PB family the other year, about ILR for everyone. It was pointed out to them that their adult son who was working and living away from home, wasn't a dependant on them anymore and if he didn't become one asap, he would need to find his own visa to remain in the UK. It was suggested that he might like to continue his education with a masters degree and to move back in with his parents. He posted later that he had done that and had got ILR (and soon a masters degree ;D).

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 02:31:27 PM »
It's a shame in this day and age that people are so afraid of others coming to live in their country.

Hopefully it doesn't take them long to match up the payment with the application. I forwarded the entire payment email to them, with the GWF mentioned at least twice.

Our plan is for my son to be adopted by my husband, as his father passed away last year and my son has said that's what he wants. He said he thinks he's even ready to call him dad (we've been together 10 years).

Is this a viable option, as he will then be able to get a UK passport, wouldn't he? Then he won't need to worry about visas.

Married March 2007

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 03:27:49 PM »
Couldn't agree more.  People are unnecessarily scared of immigration, when really it helps create a healthy economy.

Not totally sure how do-able the adoption will be.  They can be a bit touchy about that if they think it's being done to avoid immigration rules.   ::)

Fingers crossed you get the decision made email ASAP!

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 04:21:18 PM »
Not totally sure how do-able the adoption will be.  They can be a bit touchy about that if they think it's being done to avoid immigration rules.   ::)

Been together 10 years and father died last year, step father can sponsor them on a visa: there is no way that is going to be seen as a scam. It's seems to be when they want to adopt a child of a family member when that child doesn't qualfiy for a visa, that it is a problem.

Adopting his stepchild and getting a British passport, will not be seen as a shortcut to the UK as it won't be quicker than the visas they have applied for. Plus they won't get the fee back if they withdraw the application.

I really can't see how this will be a problem. There are quite a few on other forums who were adopted by a British citizen and then came to the UK as adults with their spouse.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 04:25:26 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab