Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: neosporin  (Read 5117 times)

• Liked: 82
neosporin
« on: August 19, 2016, 06:06:31 PM »
Is there anything equivalent to neosporin gel?? Really miss a waterproof antibacterial cream/gel. Savlon cream just washes away and new skin drives my cat insane

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
Re: neosporin
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 06:14:09 PM »
You need a prescription for it here...  :-\\\\

• Liked: 68
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »
I wish there was. I use TCP. It's a liquid though and smells just god awful, but it's okay. Not as good as neosporin though.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 06:55:09 PM »
I've still got some lansinoh gel, so may just try and use that. At least it is waterproof. And it is meant to heal cracked bleeding nipples.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 08:36:05 PM »
Some of the US sellers on ebay will ship to the UK if you don't mind paying a bit more.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xneosporin+gel.TRS0&_nkw=neosporin+gel&_sacat=0

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 11:11:17 PM »
I've had luck with tea tree oil, stings like mad but seems to heal scratches and grazes well.

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 03:07:06 PM »
I asked at Boots for antibacterial ointment once and the pharmacist looked at me like I'd asked for depleted uranium.

You need prescriptions for neosporin and hydrocortisone, yet you can get codeine OTC. Go figure!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 03:21:25 PM »
You don't need a prescription for 1% hydrocortisone cream - I worked for Boots from 2001 to 2010 and it wasn't on prescription then. It started off behind the counter and now you can just buy it on the shelf.

I believe anything stronger than 1% hydrocortisone is prescription only though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 01:47:16 PM »
Huh, I was at Boots last week asking for some for my son and she told me I had to go see the GP, who gave me a prescription. That's annoying!

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 02:20:36 PM »
Huh, I was at Boots last week asking for some for my son and she told me I had to go see the GP, who gave me a prescription. That's annoying!

Well, it does depend where on the body it is being used and how old your son is as to whether it can be sold to you over the counter. If he is under 10 years old or it needs to be used on the face or sensitive areas of the body, you need a prescription for it.

Having said that, it is available on the shelves in the insect bite/insect repellent section.

• Liked: 149
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 02:25:12 PM »
Well, it does depend where on the body it is being used and how old your son is as to whether it can be sold to you over the counter. If he is under 10 years old or it needs to be used on the face or sensitive areas of the body, you need a prescription for it.

Having said that, it is available on the shelves in the insect bite/insect repellent section.

They do this to my wife.....who uses it at times for some crappy skin on her face. The Dr even told her that when they ask what you are using it for.....just tell them it's for your leg or elbow or something.....then they just give it to you. Don't tell them you are using it on your face. It doesn't make sense.....kind of like the very limited amount of Ibuprofen you can buy. You can't buy more than 2 packs?.....but you can go to the next store and do the same thing......and repeat.....I guess it made sense to somebody.
Fred

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 03:03:15 PM »
They do this to my wife.....who uses it at times for some crappy skin on her face. The Dr even told her that when they ask what you are using it for.....just tell them it's for your leg or elbow or something.....then they just give it to you. Don't tell them you are using it on your face. It doesn't make sense.....kind of like the very limited amount of Ibuprofen you can buy. You can't buy more than 2 packs?.....but you can go to the next store and do the same thing......and repeat.....I guess it made sense to somebody.

The reason it should not be used on the face (or on children under 10) is because hydrocortisone thins the skin and can cause damage to it if used too much (so must only be spread very thinly) or too often, particularly on the face or sensitive areas of the body. In cases where it needs to be used on the face, it should only be done so under advice by a doctor.

I'm in the US right now and I'm currently using hydrocortisone for insect bites on my arm and leg - even my aunt, who is a nurse here, told me to never use it on my face (which I already knew as I used to sell it). I've also been using a prescribed corticosteroid cream on my hands for eczema and I can already see that it's thinning my skin (it's going paper-like), so I don't want to think what might happen if I tried to put it on my face!

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 05:31:58 PM »
The reason it should not be used on the face (or on children under 10) is because hydrocortisone thins the skin and can cause damage to it if used too much (so must only be spread very thinly) or too often, particularly on the face or sensitive areas of the body. In cases where it needs to be used on the face, it should only be done so under advice by a doctor.

I'm in the US right now and I'm currently using hydrocortisone for insect bites on my arm and leg - even my aunt, who is a nurse here, told me to never use it on my face (which I already knew as I used to sell it). I've also been using a prescribed corticosteroid cream on my hands for eczema and I can already see that it's thinning my skin (it's going paper-like), so I don't want to think what might happen if I tried to put it on my face!
Some common skin conditions that affect the face can be made worse by hydrocortisone, such as impetigo, rosacea and acne.......not my wife's problem...minor skin issue....Dr recommended.. As with all drugs......common sense is important.
Fred

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 05:37:34 PM »
And from the NHS....

However, it may not be sold for use on the delicate skin of the face. Long-term use or high-strength steroids can damage the skin, which would be particularly noticeable on the face.
This problem is not known to occur commonly with hydrocortisone that is sold over the counter, but it's still sensible to avoid using it on your face unless absolutely necessary. Some common skin conditions that affect the face can be made worse by hydrocortisone, such as impetigo, rosacea and acne.
If you have a skin condition that affects your face, you should go to see your GP first, rather than treating it with hydrocortisone cream yourself. Your GP can prescribe hydrocortisone for use on your face, having first assessed whether it's the correct treatment and if it's safe for you to use.
You should not use over-the-counter hydrocortisone preparations on your face, unless they're prescribed by a doctor. Pharmacists aren't allowed to sell them for this purpose.
Consult your GP or pharmacist if you're unsure.
Fred

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 06:08:42 PM »
Thanks everyone. We are going on holiday in a week and a half, and with a 14 month old who runs everywhere, I just wanted to be prepared in case she fell. Mainly just wanted a waterproof ointment that would keep the sea water from burning if she did fall over. I'll pack the lanolin ointment and Vaseline just in case. I do have an anti bacterial spray. X

Sponsored Links