Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: circumcision  (Read 1364 times)

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
circumcision
« on: August 22, 2016, 01:44:24 PM »
I know this has been a topic of discussion before but I haven't found anything recent. I'm NOT at all interested in a debate on the issue of circumcision itself but to seek some advice.

I have a three-year-old son who was born in the US and circumcised. Now I'm pregnant again with another son (yay!) and are trying to figure out the circumcision thing. If he was our first son we probably wouldn't circumcise, but both my husband and I are worried that having one son circumcised and one not might be weird for the boys later in life. On the other hand, we're really not sure where we'd be able to have it done - there's not a huge Jewish community here in Newcastle (that I'm aware of, anyway) and we're not Jewish anyway. Does anyone have any advice?

• Liked: 4985
Re: circumcision
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 01:50:57 PM »
I've heard that there is a clinic in London that will do it on infants.  I tried googling at work and got the "blocked search".  hee hee.

Best wishes for your decision.  I know it's a hard one, as you already have a son.  I fear this thread will not end well.   :-\\\\

• Liked: 43
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 08:25:25 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the two boys having different willies - I doubt they'll care. 'You were born in the US, and little boys in the US are often circumcised, and you were born in the UK, where little boys aren't often circumcised.' The end. My BIL and hubby are 'one of each' and it was never an issue.
I defo wouldn't circumcise *just* to match a brother.
Congrats on the pregnancy!!
Sept 2001 - June 2006: studied at the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde
Aug 2010 - Dec 2010: in UK on holiday visa
Jan 2011: issued fiancée visa
July 2011: issued FLR(M)
March 2012: DD1
June 2013: issued ILR
November 2013: DD2

• Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 01:10:33 PM »
Mother of girls here, but sharing my friend's experience.

She came to the UK with two US-born boys, both circ'd. Got pregnant with boy #3 and paid privately to have him circumcised here in Oxford. She said that she regrets it, because she a) didn't like that they had to wait til baby was 10 days old, and it seemed much harder on him than it was on the first two, and b) she got a sense that the doctor was just not as experienced and the procedure itself did not turn out well. (They are back in the States now and their pedi is suggesting a wait-and-watch approach, but has let her know that it might need to be revised at some point in the future.)

Just my £.02.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 02:17:17 PM »
My husband (who feels much more strongly about this than I do) is worried more about when we move back to the southern US, where circ rates remain really high.

I did find a place here where they'll come to your house within the first few days, and it looks like it caters to the Jewish community so I do have that option to look into.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 02:23:00 PM »
My husband (who feels much more strongly about this than I do) is worried more about when we move back to the southern US, where circ rates remain really high.

I did find a place here where they'll come to your house within the first few days, and it looks like it caters to the Jewish community so I do have that option to look into.

There is that. Teens really can be such complete as*shats.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 02:34:49 PM »
Yeah, and my husband suffered as a teen so I think he's extra sensitive to things that might cause our kids to get teased/bullied. (Our older son is small - but healthy - and it really stresses him out.)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 02:38:11 PM »
Yeah, and my husband suffered as a teen so I think he's extra sensitive to things that might cause our kids to get teased/bullied. (Our older son is small - but healthy - and it really stresses him out.)

I can understand that. Boys tend to be a lot more physical than girls are, but just as mean.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 18
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 12:05:48 PM »
It sounds like you've found an option should you decide to have your son circumcised, but, in case you want other options, I believe Gateshead has a fairly large Jewish community.

Congratulations on your pregnancy - how lovely!  :D
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab