Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Why the difference between US and UK Circumcision Rates?  (Read 3264 times)

• Liked: 1892
Why the difference between US and UK Circumcision Rates?
« on: August 22, 2016, 05:03:30 PM »

It seems like it's totally the done thing in the US, but rarely done in the UK.  Does anyone know why?

• Liked: 533
Re: Why the difference between US and UK Circumcision Rates?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 06:30:05 PM »
It is of interest.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 537
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 06:52:44 PM »
Now I only know this because I've been around the discussion of circumcision since I have nephews and friends with kids and it's always a hot topic.

Doesn't it go back to the idea of hygiene? It's 'cleaner' and you have a lowered risk of contracting certain STD's (not that there is actually any proof of that, it's just what was believed). It didn't become 'the norm' until after the world wars.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 170
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 10:38:04 PM »
Now I only know this because I've been around the discussion of circumcision since I have nephews and friends with kids and it's always a hot topic.

Doesn't it go back to the idea of hygiene? It's 'cleaner' and you have a lowered risk of contracting certain STD's (not that there is actually any proof of that, it's just what was believed). It didn't become 'the norm' until after the world wars.

I heard it was because Americans thought that circumcision discouraged masturbation... Those prudes.
http://www.circinfo.org/Circumcision_and_masturbation.html

There is pretty convincing proof that circumcision can help reduce the spread of HIV.
http://www.who.int/hiv/topics/malecircumcision/en/
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 04:31:59 AM »
It has to do with the old-timey thoughts that it's cleaner, and it's just become tradition here. The HIV issue is really only important in sub-Saharan Africa where it's still spreading rapidly, not so much in the US where there's tons of education and available barrier methods, as well as preventative meds for high risk populations.

Circumcision is painful for the baby, and I know many American men who are very sad they are not "whole" and experienced nerve/sensation issues as a result of it. One friend who is an OB/GYN hates doing them, and if he had his way would never have to cut another baby but his practice would not go for that - they earn a lot of money. If I manage to have biological children and one is a boy, they would not be snipped!

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 09:45:35 AM »
Am I even correct in the assumption that there's s cultural difference between the US and the UK about this?

If so, I'd be tempted to believe that since the NHS doesn't do it as a matter of course, it just doesn't get done.  I would also believe that if American doctors could find another way to make money from a birth they will do so.

I have no idea if any of the above is correct, I'd like to hear either way. 

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 09:56:17 AM »
I heard it was because Americans thought that circumcision discouraged masturbation... Those prudes.
http://www.circinfo.org/Circumcision_and_masturbation.html

There is pretty convincing proof that circumcision can help reduce the spread of HIV.
http://www.who.int/hiv/topics/malecircumcision/en/

If you simply search history of circumcision in the US, it's for 'hygienic reasons' (the military even got involved), to lower masturbation, and the 'medicalisation of childbirth'. Gotta love it. 

Am I even correct in the assumption that there's s cultural difference between the US and the UK about this?

If so, I'd be tempted to believe that since the NHS doesn't do it as a matter of course, it just doesn't get done.  I would also believe that if American doctors could find another way to make money from a birth they will do so.

I have no idea if any of the above is correct, I'd like to hear either way. 

I have no idea. I don't know many people with kids here in the UK and since I'm not planning on having any, it's not really a topic that comes up here for me. haha.

And yeah, since the 80's there have been rising numbers of non-circumcised boys in both countries.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 10:03:43 AM »
All I know for sure is that it was not even mentioned when we had our son on the NHS.  It wasn't something we wanted so no big deal. 

My personal opinion on the situation in the other thread is that the kid should be left uncut, and a difference in willies between two brothers is totally insignificant. 

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 10:21:16 AM »
It is of interest.

What's the feminist line on circumcision?  Is there one?

I know that on Reddit there's a bunch of guys  that call it genital mutilation, but I think that's a bit insulting to women who have been mutilated in a lot worse ways.  I also think those guys know it's insulting and that's what they wish to achieve.

• Liked: 85
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 01:54:49 PM »
Circumcision should only be done if there is a medical need. To mutilate your new born son because you think it is cleaner for them is barbaric, IMO

You don't see millions of men walking around Europe with infections because they were not circumcised at birth.. and as for reducing masturbation, men will masturbate whenever they feel like it!!! circumcised or not...
Online Application Spouse Visa - 27 Jan 2015
Visa Received - 16 Feb 2015
FLR(M) In-Person  (Approved)- 4 Jan 2018
ILR (M) Approval - 23 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) - 28 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) APPROVED!!!!! - 10 Feb 2021
Citizenship ceremony - 10 June 2021

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 02:10:58 PM »

men will masturbate whenever they feel like it!!! circumcised or not...

Whenever they feel like it?  It's frowned upon at my office.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 02:18:08 PM »
Circumcision should only be done if there is a medical need. To mutilate your new born son because you think it is cleaner for them is barbaric, IMO

You don't see millions of men walking around Europe with infections because they were not circumcised at birth.. and as for reducing masturbation, men will masturbate whenever they feel like it!!! circumcised or not...

Don't forget it's of religious importance to certain groups. I don't think Jewish people would appreciate what you said...

edited to add: I honestly can't think of a single time there is 'a medical need' for male circumcision so even saying that doesn't make any sense to me.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:21:08 PM by lyonaria »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 02:39:58 PM »
edited to add: I honestly can't think of a single time there is 'a medical need' for male circumcision so even saying that doesn't make any sense to me.

Start watching episodes of Embarrassing Bodies.  ;D  I know they gave a statistic on there before about how many are performed each year in the UK for medical reasons and I was surprised at how high the number was. 

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Circumcision/Pages/Introduction.aspx

• Liked: 585
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 08:23:53 PM »
I honestly can't think of a single time there is 'a medical need' for male circumcision so even saying that doesn't make any sense to me.

I appreciate that you were probably referring to babies, but when talking of 'medical need', I know 3 guys here in the UK who were circ'd as adults.
One, because it was 'too tight'.  Another, because he caught it in the zip of his trousers.  And a third, whose foreskin ripped during particularly vigorous intercourse!   [smiley=lipsrsealed2.gif]

• Liked: 85
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 02:11:47 AM »
Don't forget it's of religious importance to certain groups. I don't think Jewish people would appreciate what you said...

I am Jewish and my spouse is Jewish, not all jews are circumcised at birth.. As for medical need there are many well documented cases where circumcision has to be done to adults and children because of medical issues..   
Online Application Spouse Visa - 27 Jan 2015
Visa Received - 16 Feb 2015
FLR(M) In-Person  (Approved)- 4 Jan 2018
ILR (M) Approval - 23 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) - 28 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) APPROVED!!!!! - 10 Feb 2021
Citizenship ceremony - 10 June 2021

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab