Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: kids and toys: what to ship?  (Read 629 times)

• Liked: 0
kids and toys: what to ship?
« on: August 23, 2016, 03:22:57 AM »
Hello all:

First, thanks to all of you who are active here and who are generous with your expertise. I've learned so much already just by reading.

We're moving to London for the year and are in the process of boxing up for storage and making shipping decisions. I think this is likely also an applicable question for those of you with children who are there for longer spans. While they'll know that they can always come back to what's stored here in the US, I imagine there will be some homesickness for America, and having their things around might help. We're just trying to make smart decisions about shipping, given the costs.

Granted that each kid has his/her favorite playthings, what toys are you glad you packed? What was readily available at not high expense that could have just as easily been picked up there, whether new or used? For your reference, our kids are 5 and 9.

Thanks,
Christy

• Liked: 1891
Re: kids and toys: what to ship?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 09:53:20 AM »
Personally, I'd give them something about the size of a shoe box and let them put whatever they want in it.  Then I might pick a few things that I know are important, like expensive kits or stuffed animals given by family members.  Then I'd give all the rest to charity.  If the kids complain, I'd give them £40 to buy whatever they want when they get here. 

I find it hard to believe that the kids will be homesick and even if they are, they won't be consoled by masses of plastic junk.  I'd go as light as possible.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 10:01:53 AM »
Personally, I'd give them something about the size of a shoe box and let them put whatever they want in it.  Then I might pick a few things that I know are important, like expensive kits or stuffed animals given by family members.  Then I'd give all the rest to charity.  If the kids complain, I'd give them £40 to buy whatever they want when they get here. 

I find it hard to believe that the kids will be homesick and even if they are, they won't be consoled by masses of plastic junk.  I'd go as light as possible.

Having them pick their own toys is a great idea! A shoebox is a bit small... it does depend on the shoes...

I'd pick a specific size box, make sure it's the same size for both and let them fill it. Don't have that include any particular comfort items (I'm thinking more for the 5 year old) like a blankie, the toy they sleep with, type of thing. You'll probably have that on the plane anyway. :)

I don't have kids myself, but I did move a lot as a kid. I never had very much stuff, it was always books.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 10:12:58 AM »
I agree with keeping anything sentimental.  Other than that, I'd purge a lot.  You can pick up toys second hand here for about 10% of the retail cost.  At their ages, I was all about my bike!  I would plan to buy them bikes or scooters here.

Also keep in mind storage in homes here is NOT like it is in the US. 

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 01:30:58 PM »
Thanks for the helpful advice! And it's great to know we might be able to get secondhand toys and bikes there without breaking the bank.

• Liked: 3595
kids and toys: what to ship?
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 02:30:27 PM »
When I meet one of my friends for coffee she often buys books and toys for her kids from charity shops or second-hand book shops... Most of the books are only 25p or 50p each and the toys aren't more than £1 or £2 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 02:33:13 PM »
There are lots of "nearly new" sales around here, though most of them are geared toward younger children. Gumtree (like Craigslist) has been a godsend for us - I'm actually picking up a really awesome pirate-ship play frame for our garden this afternoon for dirt cheap!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab