Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How early to start looking for nursery?  (Read 1257 times)

• Liked: 9
How early to start looking for nursery?
« on: August 23, 2016, 10:23:34 AM »
Hi all,

My partner will want to transition back to full time work after maternity leave. We're going to try to arrange something with grandmas, because the high costs will mean a significant change in lifestyle for us if we have to pay the ~800/month for full time nursery. This may not be realistic since both grandmas currently live in different countries, so it may well be that we have to go for full time child care.

In general, is it easy to find a place at a good nursery here in the UK? How early should one start looking/applying to ensure the mother can go back to work when she wants to? I know this probably varies heavily based on where you live (we're in Leeds), but is there some sort of general rule of thumb? My assumption would be it's not that hard since they're so expensive? But I've been surprised many a time in the UK and we don't want to end up on some long waiting list.

We used to live in Germany where people really have to battle to find a spot for their babies.... but there the yearly fees are around as much as the monthly fees here in the UK....

Thanks for any advice!

• Liked: 1891
Re: How early to start looking for nursery?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 10:36:07 AM »
Have you thought about getting a nanny?  We've always had a nanny / childminder who has their own kid as well to keep costs down. 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 10:50:32 AM »
I chose a nursery for my daughter when she was 3 months old (July).  I was hoping to return to work in November.  However, the nursery didn't have a space until April.  So I ended up taking a year off of work.  There were other nurseries in my area that had earlier availability but I really liked one in particular.  We are really happy with our choice.  I had other friends who could not get their first choice of nursery as they waited too late.  My daughter's nursery is £1,118 a month for full time and they are 100% full.  I'm in Wokingham (southeast).

• Liked: 9
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 11:15:01 AM »
Have you thought about getting a nanny?  We've always had a nanny / childminder who has their own kid as well to keep costs down.

Interesting, I assumed something like this would be more expensive... How does one go about finding a nanny/childminder?

I chose a nursery for my daughter when she was 3 months old (July).  I was hoping to return to work in November.  However, the nursery didn't have a space until April.  So I ended up taking a year off of work.  There were other nurseries in my area that had earlier availability but I really liked one in particular.  We are really happy with our choice.  I had other friends who could not get their first choice of nursery as they waited too late.  My daughter's nursery is £1,118 a month for full time and they are 100% full.  I'm in Wokingham (southeast).

Thanks! That price makes my eyes water, but I'm glad it worked out for you in the end :)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 11:28:52 AM »
Interesting, I assumed something like this would be more expensive... How does one go about finding a nanny/childminder?

Thanks! That price makes my eyes water, but I'm glad it worked out for you in the end :)

It was never easy to find one but I think the council might keep a list, or maybe an agency.  This arrangement worked great when we had two kids and they needed to be picked up and dropped off at various places. 

• Liked: 43
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 11:37:23 AM »
Guh, childcare is SO expensive and it's the number one reason I never went back to work properly. Though now I work from home and it's slightly the worst of both worlds with a two year old and a four year old. Bring on January when they'll BOTH be in 16 hours free nursery a week.
Aaaaaaanyways... Look for a nursery RIGHT NOW and out your name down if you like it. Pay the fee. Depending on your standards and area, it may be hard to get a spot if you're looking for one to start in just a few months' time. Remember, yes - it's expensive, but it's what's expected and it doesn't put people off.
A childminder won't be any more expensive, though a nanny, if you've just one kid, may be a bit pricier. Plus, you count as their employer and have to pay their nat'l insurance, I think. Something along those lines.
Tldr - find a nursery you like now and put your name down immediately.
Sept 2001 - June 2006: studied at the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde
Aug 2010 - Dec 2010: in UK on holiday visa
Jan 2011: issued fiancée visa
July 2011: issued FLR(M)
March 2012: DD1
June 2013: issued ILR
November 2013: DD2

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 11:46:34 AM »
In my area, a nanny runs at £90 a day.  Makes sense if you have more than one child.  We always said we would do the nanny route if we have a second.  But our daughter LOVES nursery.  Runs to go inside, drags her feet to leave.  So if we have a second, I couldn't pull her out of nursery.  She loves it and has thrived there.

Childminders in my area run about £4.50 an hour.  Great option if you child is better suited to a home environment.  My hesitation with a child minder was cover during their holidays and illness.

Sponsored Links