Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: driving in UK  (Read 2389 times)

• Liked: 0
driving in UK
« on: August 23, 2016, 04:10:05 PM »
as far as i can tell, i can drive on my US license for 1 year from the date i landed in the UK, at which point i need to take a driving test to obtain a GB license - is this correct?

for those of you who have done this, how much more difficult is it to pass the UK driving test?

• Liked: 4985
Re: driving in UK
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 04:27:45 PM »
Yes, you are correct.

Do not underestimate the amount of time it takes to take the test in the UK.  While my experience is from many years ago, I believe the timelines are still roughly the same. 

I received my provisional license in July, I booked the first available theory (written) test available which was 5 weeks away.  I studied for that and passed.  That night I went online to book my practical (driving) test and took the first test date which was mid-December (four month wait).

During that time I took about 10 hours of driving lessons.  Mostly to unbreak 'bad' habits that would have counted against me during the test.

Yes, the test here is ridiculous and over the top.  But they like it like that.  I believe the pass rate is less than 50%...

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 04:32:39 PM »
Yes, you are correct.

Do not underestimate the amount of time it takes to take the test in the UK.  While my experience is from many years ago, I believe the timelines are still roughly the same. 

I received my provisional license in July, I booked the first available theory (written) test available which was 5 weeks away.  I studied for that and passed.  That night I went online to book my practical (driving) test and took the first test date which was mid-December (four month wait).

During that time I took about 10 hours of driving lessons.  Mostly to unbreak 'bad' habits that would have counted against me during the test.

Yes, the test here is ridiculous and over the top.  But they like it like that.  I believe the pass rate is less than 50%...

do i need to get a provisional license? i'm already in the uk and from what i understood (online) i could drive on my US license for 1 year is that no longer accurate?

1 year will be next may, so i should book my tests now most likely. We have a car but am i legally allowed to drive it as a traveller would on my US license?

it's crazy difficult from everyone i speak to! i can't believe there's an entire greeting card section in sainsburys devoted to passing your driving test! guess they don't want people on the roads really with public transit being more prominent.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 04:35:38 PM »
Yes, you need a provisional license to book the tests.  BUT, you can still use your US license in the meantime.  The rules of a provisional license only apply if you haven't passed your test by your one year anniversary.

You'll need to be insured on the car.  It's not like the US where you can give someone permission to drive your car.  For someone to drive a car, they need to specifically be named on the insurance.

There are options.  There are intensive driving courses where you do everything in one week.  There are also agencies that will search for cancellations for you to book a practical exam.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 04:41:51 PM »
Yes, you need a provisional license to book the tests.  BUT, you can still use your US license in the meantime.  The rules of a provisional license only apply if you haven't passed your test by your one year anniversary.

You'll need to be insured on the car.  It's not like the US where you can give someone permission to drive your car.  For someone to drive a car, they need to specifically be named on the insurance.

There are options.  There are intensive driving courses where you do everything in one week.  There are also agencies that will search for cancellations for you to book a practical exam.

ok awesome. cannot believe how intense learning to drive is here! thanks so much!

• Liked: 9
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 04:46:00 PM »
I agree with everything KFDancer has said.

I started driving on my US license a few months after I got here. At some point I did the theory test and forgot about the rest for a while. When I went to book my driving test I was shocked at the waiting times... 3-4 months. I ended up booking a cancellation by myself. That is quite easy to do, and I think you have good chances of getting one.

Just like KFDancer, I took a few hours of lessons just to unlearn the bad habits and learn what they're looking for. I think it would be nearly impossible to pass the driving section with no lessons at all...

The theory test is easy enough to pass, you just have to study a bit. I recommend this program. I read about it on this forum and it's the only thing I used to study.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:47:55 PM by omglolmax »

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 05:15:54 PM »
The key to remember when taking your lessons, is that you are taking lessons to learn how to pass the test.  You know how to drive.   ;D

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 05:49:32 PM »
When I went to book my driving test I was shocked at the waiting times... 3-4 months. I ended up booking a cancellation by myself. That is quite easy to do, and I think you have good chances of getting one.

Yeah, when I learned to drive (2000/2001), there was a 2-month waiting list for practical tests. I started lessons in June 2000 (age 17), took the theory in December 2000, had my first test in April 2001 and failed, next available test was in June... failed again... finally I got a third test in August 2001, but it was cancelled due to examiner sickness and rescheduled for the next week. I finally passed my test in mid-Aug 2001.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 07:11:03 PM »
I got my provisional around Dec 2012, took my theory test in Spring and then too around 10-12 hours of lessons. My instructor booked a cancellation for me when I was ready (I had about a week or two notice) in July.

I strongly recommend taking lessons around the centre where you'll take your test. You'll be familiar with the roads and your instructor can hopefully lead you through some of the test routes. This might not be a big deal if you're comfortable with the area, but its not a bad idea anyway.

You can take the tests as soon as you've got your provisional, even before you've been here a year. Factor in having to take the tests more than once. Most people don't pass the first times. It'd suck to have your 1 year run up, but not have your licence yet.

Best of luck. A lot of us have been there, so we know it's not all smooth sailing, but you'll get there.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 149
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 07:57:57 PM »
Agree with everything that's been stated......get the process going as soon as possible. Also that program that was mentioned as well.......it made it so I hardly looked at the driving book. I only took 1 hr of driving with an instructor who then pointed out a couple of things I needed to work on.....but I had also lived in the UK two different times for a bunch of years so was used to driving here (US Govt employee.....didn't have to take the test while I was still working). I only had 1 fault on the test......but all it takes is one of the big errors and you fail the test. There are tons of reasons to fail the test.

Wait times seem to depend on where you live as well. I think it was around 8 weeks here when I took the test (Feb 2016). Some areas have shorter/longer wait times. I think there was a site you can go to and see what the wait times are for where you wish to take it. Sometimes going to a nearby town can be quicker.
UPDATE: YIKES!! just checked online and the current wait here is 15 weeks.....ouch. It was a lot less when I took it during Feb. I am assuming Summer is a busier time.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:20:14 PM by F4mandolin »
Fred

• Liked: 537
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 11:48:32 PM »
[quote author=KFdancer link=topic=88370.msg1147855#msg1147855 date=1471966538

[/quote]

That isn't entirely true... you do need to be insured on the car for your test.

You can have insurance where other people are able to drive your car. It's just more expensive. My in laws have it on one of their cars.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 12:22:35 AM »
Oh, and if you take lesssons from someone they often have you take the test in their car. That's how it would have been for me.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 12:52:13 AM »
Oh, and if you take lesssons from someone they often have you take the test in their car. That's how it would have been for me.

Yeah, this is the standard thing for new drivers to do (i.e. when they start learning at 17).

I think it's mainly because hardly any 17-year-olds have their own car in the UK so they learn to drive and also take the test in their instructor's car, plus it gives them the chance to become really familiar with that car so they know exactly how to manoeuvre it to pass the test, rather than switching between cars and having to get used to the differences between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 09:45:54 AM »

I think the instructors even put bits if tape in key locations on the car to help you line everything up for manuvers like parallel parking. 

The test is ridiculously hard, but the whole process fails spectacularly when it comes to motorway driving.  I'm always amazed that nobody has a clue how to drive on the motorway.  Everyone seems to just sit in the middle lane and think of England.

• Liked: 18
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 11:56:13 AM »
Yes to everything said so far.  As for the car you take your test in, for me it was the car I took lessons in.  That wasn't required, but it was encouraged and I think it was a great idea.  BTW, I'm far (faaaaarrrrr) older than 17.  ;)

I started lessons in June 2015 and finally passed the test at the end of January 2016 - with great relief!  To be fair, it would have been less time had I passed the test the first time I took it.... or the second time...  :(

But the say third time's the charm!  ;D
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab