Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fast track License  (Read 864 times)

• Liked: 0
Fast track License
« on: August 23, 2016, 07:58:11 PM »
Now that I have clarified that I can not drive on my American license, I need to quickly get my UK License as my job now depends on it. 

Ive done the google search and found the intensive courses, which can cost upwards of £1000 (so that will never happen).  I did find one that included 5 hours and the test (£250ish), which leads to my next question..

How many lessons do other Americans recommend? Ive driven for 20 years.  Ive read that there are DVDs and other materials that I can use to help me, can I use these materials while I wait for my provisional?

I understand I need to apply for my provisional, how long will that take?

Is the only way to schedule a test quickly through the intensive courses? or can I take a few lessons with an instructor and they can help me schedule a test sooner than later? 

Ive really put myself into a pickle here thinking I was able to drive and need to have everything crystal clear before I go give my boss the unfortunate news. 

Any recommendations for fast track lessons in North London (enfield) also appreciated.

Thank you

• Liked: 163
Re: Fast track License
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 09:05:43 PM »
How many lessons do other Americans recommend? Ive driven for 20 years.

It'll depend on you and how quickly you can learn and adapt your driving to the UK methods the examiner will be looking for on the test. I'd been driving for a little over 20 years, and I took 3 or 4 lessons before taking the test, by which point I felt like I could drive the UK way long enough to pass, and I did.

You might pick it up in less time, or maybe it'll take longer. I'd plan on at least 2 or 3 lessons, and leave enough time to schedule more if you need them.

Is the only way to schedule a test quickly through the intensive courses? or can I take a few lessons with an instructor and they can help me schedule a test sooner than later?

It's been a while since I went through this, but I'm pretty sure you can schedule the test through your courses, or with the help of your instructor, or just schedule it yourself online.

https://www.gov.uk/book-driving-test

I wouldn't worry too much about an intensive course. Find an instructor you like, and tell them you want to get it all done fast, and they'll probably work with you to help speed the process along.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:07:04 PM by camoscato »

• Liked: 223
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 09:13:47 PM »
You should be able to get your provisional in a week or two.

Once you have that, you can take the theory test.

Once you've passed your theory test, you can take the practical. There's no requirement to take lessons, but the do help. Even if you've driven in the US for years, the test is tough to pass.

You can book a practical quickly by snagging a cancellation. I'm not sure if anyone can do that or only instructors - my instructor booked mine that way.

I'd driven for over 10 years in the US and I still took 10-15 hours of lessons. I felt they were worthwhile. Somethings you need to know to do the UK way to pass the test and they're probably not the way you were taught in the US.

I'd suggest taking a lesson or two with an instructor, see what they think you'll need, and then decide if you want intensive lessons.

If you're in London, I can give you the name of my instructor. I didn't take intensive lessons from him, but I thought he was good. YMMV
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 11:57:55 AM »
thanks for all the information!

• Liked: 170
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 01:28:33 PM »
thanks for all the information!

I took 20 hours of lessons on automatic. I hadn't driven much in the ~10 years previous, but could have probably passed with far fewer (my guess is that I was fully competent and able to pass after about 12 hours).

Sometimes when you've drive a lot you have developed bad habits!
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 01:35:28 PM »
Lessons are simply to learn how to pass the test.

I took five 2 hour lessons around the test center so I was familiar with the roads.  I probably could have done less but I had booked a package.

My provisional took closer to a month to receive back but that was several years ago.  I have no idea what the current processing times are like. 

Best of luck.  You can do it!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab