Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Travelling to Paris in 8 days... forgot to get my name changed on my BRP!  (Read 683 times)

• Hello, Cheerio -- Life is about going that extra mile, for love.
  • Liked: 0
Hi there, quick question / panic...

I've had my passport changed into my married name as I had my SSN changed back when I visited the states in April of this year.

Well, I completely forgot to get my BRP changed into my married name and we travel a week from tomorrow, to France.

I've already spoken with the BRP issuance and they stated it would take 8-10 weeks to process the application and if I pay the premium service fee of £500, it will take 7-10 days. Either way, it doesn't work for me.

That said, the woman mentioned that having my old passport, plus my marriage certificate, plus the new passport and of course my current BRP card should do me just fine to get back into the UK.

I've tried calling Border Force as she directed, however sat on hold in queue for 15 minutes with no answer in sight.

I can get a letter from my employer stating the date they expect me back to work and such... and bring that along with all stated documents above but... will that be enough?

This holiday is non-refundable... so it'd be a fair amount of cash in the bin, but I guess it's a lesson learned because I'd rather bin it than not be allowed back in the UK.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd love some input, please.
Jeana

Met online via LiveJournal, May 2012
Became a couple, August 2012
Met in London, February 2013
Met three more times in 2013
Decided to move to England, August 2013
Hired Immigration Lawyer, Sept 2013
Began Immigration Process, Sept 2013
Submitted Fiance Visa App, March 2014
Received Visa Approval, May 2014
Moved from USA to England, June 2014
Married my Brit, Sept 2014
FLR(M) Application Began Sept 2014
FLR(M) Application 2014 = Success!
Celebrated 1yr Wedding Anniversary Sept 2015
Passed UK Driving Test Oct 2015
Next FLR(M) = in process

• Liked: 3595
Travelling to Paris in 8 days... forgot to get my name changed on my BRP!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 03:12:14 PM »
How long ago did you change your passport name?

You have just 3 months to send off to change the BRP after the passport has been done, or you can be fined £1,000 and possibly have your visa curtailed.

So it depends how long it's been since you changed the passport name. If it's been less than 3 months and it will still be less than 3 months after you get back then you may be fine. If it's been more than 3 months then the BRP needs to be changed ASAP or you could be fined.

Sent from my iPod using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:13:38 PM by ksand24 »

• Hello, Cheerio -- Life is about going that extra mile, for love.
  • Liked: 0
My passport name was changed about a month ago.

So my passport name reads one way, my BRP reads another. My concerns is that they won't let me back into the UK because the names do not match.

I have every intention of sending in the BRP application, now that I remembered, but not until we get back from Paris.
Jeana

Met online via LiveJournal, May 2012
Became a couple, August 2012
Met in London, February 2013
Met three more times in 2013
Decided to move to England, August 2013
Hired Immigration Lawyer, Sept 2013
Began Immigration Process, Sept 2013
Submitted Fiance Visa App, March 2014
Received Visa Approval, May 2014
Moved from USA to England, June 2014
Married my Brit, Sept 2014
FLR(M) Application Began Sept 2014
FLR(M) Application 2014 = Success!
Celebrated 1yr Wedding Anniversary Sept 2015
Passed UK Driving Test Oct 2015
Next FLR(M) = in process

• Liked: 3595
I would just take the evidence they suggested and explain that you have not had time to change the BRP name before the holiday - you have 3 months to do it anyway, so as long as you show evidence of your old and new names, I don't see that it will be an issue.

Sent from my iPod using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
I imagine all will be fine.  Just tell them you are applying for a new BRP as soon as you return.  Try to relax and enjoy your trip!

• Liked: 1892
What about the plane tickets?  Are they in the right name?

My wife travels back and forth from France to UK with only her French ID card.  She doesn't take her passport. 

• Liked: 537
What about the plane tickets?  Are they in the right name?

My wife travels back and forth from France to UK with only her French ID card.  She doesn't take her passport.

Your wife's an EU citizen though, jimbocz. Might be easier for EU folks. :)
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab