Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Re-entering on FLR (m) + dual nationality couples?  (Read 668 times)

• Liked: 0
Re-entering on FLR (m) + dual nationality couples?
« on: August 24, 2016, 04:03:25 PM »
Hi everyone,
I just recently received my FLR (m) / partner visa biometric card, and have transitioned over from a Tier 4 visa. I'm about to take my first trip abroad with the new visa status. I was wondering if anyone can share their experience going through border security with a partner visa? Did you bring any documents other than your biometric card? What kind of questions do you usually get?

My husband and I are also traveling together for the first time since our wedding - he's from the UK and I'm American.  Should we use the same passport line in the US or UK? Or split up?

Thanks for the advice!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Re-entering on FLR (m) + dual nationality couples?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:07:26 PM »
Always stay together no matter what country you are in (that's what they prefer).  I have found that it's always been okay to use the EU line when traveling with my husband.  NOT when by myself.   :)

You can always ask the person directing traffic.  I usually say, "we are a multinational family, which line should we use?"

• Liked: 537
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 04:17:16 PM »
Hi everyone,
I just recently received my FLR (m) / partner visa biometric card, and have transitioned over from a Tier 4 visa. I'm about to take my first trip abroad with the new visa status. I was wondering if anyone can share their experience going through border security with a partner visa? Did you bring any documents other than your biometric card? What kind of questions do you usually get?

My husband and I are also traveling together for the first time since our wedding - he's from the UK and I'm American.  Should we use the same passport line in the US or UK? Or split up?

Thanks for the advice!

Always take both your passport and your BRP card. Your BRP card is your visa. :)

I traveled by myself back to the US last summer and I don't really remember them asking me anything much when I came back to the UK. I was by myself as we couldn't afford us both to go. It was really easy, I wasn't stressed at all.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 05:04:50 PM »
I find that whatever line I stand in, they always moan.  Just ignore it, it's just to see if you are compliant. 

The last time we came into the UK, the border agent was completely mellow.  We talked about my visa (you guys are right about the ILR), the BRP (he didn't seem to care I don't have one) and the Brexit results for many minutes.  I would have thought he'd be bored to tears talking about Brexit but he .just wanted to shoot the breeze.

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 05:06:28 PM »
One last thing, if you come in by yourself, make sure your husband is answering his phone .  The border guys did call my wife once.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 05:39:13 PM »
Once when I was coming back to the UK alone, the IO fixed me with a piercing stare and said "Where is your husband now?"

"Out there waiting for me," I replied. "At least, he'd better be."

She burst out laughing and stamped me through. I guess that sounded like a legit-relationship answer  ::).

To the OP, yes, go through the same line as your husband. The DH and I have gone through both the UK and US lines together.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 85
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 09:43:49 PM »
We have always gone through the Non-EU line when we have traveled back to the UK.  Last time my spouse has to completed a landing card and give it to the agent, I have dual nationality so I fly out on my US passport and reenter on my UK passport.

We are currently in the US visiting family and when we fly back to Heathrow next week I am assuming we will have to complete another landing card and go through the non-EU line as always. My spouse has a new US passport so we will have two passports to hand them as his visa is in the old passport.  I did ask once if we could use the EU/British line but we were told no, so we never have..
Online Application Spouse Visa - 27 Jan 2015
Visa Received - 16 Feb 2015
FLR(M) In-Person  (Approved)- 4 Jan 2018
ILR (M) Approval - 23 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) - 28 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) APPROVED!!!!! - 10 Feb 2021
Citizenship ceremony - 10 June 2021

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 09:51:44 PM »
We have always gone through the Non-EU line when we have traveled back to the UK.  Last time my spouse has to completed a landing card and give it to the agent, I have dual nationality so I fly out on my US passport and reenter on my UK passport.

We are currently in the US visiting family and when we fly back to Heathrow next week I am assuming we will have to complete another landing card and go through the non-EU line as always. My spouse has a new US passport so we will have two passports to hand them as his visa is in the old passport.  I did ask once if we could use the EU/British line but we were told no, so we never have..

Be wild and go through the EU line.  It'll be fine.   :D

Sponsored Links