Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Returning to UK with American wife.  (Read 597 times)

• Liked: 0
Returning to UK with American wife.
« on: August 26, 2016, 07:31:35 PM »
Hi there all,

I am an Englishman living in Michigan, and my wife and I are thinking of moving to the UK.
My wife is retired, and not be seeking work in the UK.

My basic questions are as follows..

1) I assume the lady can still get her US social security pension paid to a British bank?

2) I know I have to have 62,500 pounds to support her in a bank account for 6 mo. prior to application, does this have to be my own private bank in the UK, or can I open an account with my brother and have a joint account with the funds in?

3) How long does it take on average to get all the paperwork sorted out with the UK?

Many Thanks all!

• Liked: 12
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 4985
Re: Returning to UK with American wife.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 10:36:29 AM »
Hi there all,

I am an Englishman living in Michigan, and my wife and I are thinking of moving to the UK.
My wife is retired, and not be seeking work in the UK.

My basic questions are as follows..

1) I assume the lady can still get her US social security pension paid to a British bank?

2) I know I have to have 62,500 pounds to support her in a bank account for 6 mo. prior to application, does this have to be my own private bank in the UK, or can I open an account with my brother and have a joint account with the funds in?

3) How long does it take on average to get all the paperwork sorted out with the UK?

Many Thanks all!

As BD said, yes she can still receive her ss in the UK.

If you have a joint account with your brother, he wild need to write a statement stating that the funds are yours and that he has no claim over the money.

It depends on the time of year you apply for how long the process takes.  It's usually quite quick, running about two weeks if you pay priority and about a month with standard processing.  This time of year it's about a month with priority and about three months standard.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 11:00:59 AM »

Yes, many people do this.

It can be in your name only, in your wife's name only or in both of your names jointly.

Your brother must not be on the account.

The account does not have to be in the UK.

(a) Bank statements must:

(i) be from a financial institution regulated by the appropriate regulatory body for the country in which that institution is operating.
    (ii) not be from a financial institution on the list of excluded institutions in Appendix P of these rules.
  (iii) in relation to personal bank statements be only in the name of:
        (1) the applicant’s partner, the applicant or both as appropriate; or
        (2) if the applicant is a child the applicant parent’s partner, the applicant’s parent or both as appropriate; or
        (3) if the applicant is an adult dependent relative, the applicant’s sponsor or the applicant, unless otherwise stated.

(iv) cover the period(s) specified.
    (v) be:
        (1) on official bank stationery; or
        (2) electronic bank statements which are either accompanied by a letter from the bank on its headed stationery confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

Your wife's SS will also count towards the requirements (as it is non-employment income) so the amount of savings can be reduced if necessary but if you have the whole 62,500gbp, it's easier just to apply using savings only.
See here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525708/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

As well as the processing times which KFdancer has just explained, I would allow a month or so to thoroughly familiarize yourself with the requirements and gather your evidence together.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 11:30:16 AM by larrabee »

• Liked: 63
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 09:56:08 AM »
Once your wife is in the UK, having her SS deposited to a UK bank is easy. Under the UK-US tax treaty, her SS income is only taxable in the UK, and its 90% of the total SS amount, not 100%. Having it deposited to a UK account eliminates questions and conversion calculations, as it is deposited in GB£.  The Fx rate is the best you will get on the day of deposit (not a 'tourist rate'), and there are no bank fees involved on either side.

If she has no other income, her UK self-assessment tax return is straightforward - very easy to do. She should continue to file a US tax return, but the taxable amount of SS will be 0.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

Sponsored Links