Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Oldie but newbie  (Read 541 times)

• Liked: 0
Oldie but newbie
« on: August 29, 2016, 11:54:02 AM »
Hi all

I just found this site while looking for some information. I arrived in the UK in the mid 1980's, married a Brit and eventually got around to the naturalisation process after living here as a permanent resident for about 9 years. From what I have read some of you have to go through some sort of ceremony. There was none of that in those days. I applied, received my certificate after 11 months and sent off for my first British passport. I'm about to renew this for the second time and I have a question I'll post on the relevant board.

I have two grown children who have dual nationality. One loves it here and the other would like to move to the U.S. some day.  I've been through much heartache over the years missing my friends and family, not being able to attend weddings, family parties etc. I managed one wedding and one funeral in all this time. So homesickness is something I've just incorporated into my life. I'd like to return some day but am aware that the grass is always greener somewhere else.

Enjoy the bank holiday.

CG

• Liked: 6110
Re: Oldie but newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 12:20:48 PM »
Hi all

I just found this site while looking for some information. I arrived in the UK in the mid 1980's, married a Brit and eventually got around to the naturalisation process after living here as a permanent resident for about 9 years. From what I have read some of you have to go through some sort of ceremony. There was none of that in those days. I applied, received my certificate after 11 months and sent off for my first British passport. I'm about to renew this for the second time and I have a question I'll post on the relevant board.

I have two grown children who have dual nationality. One loves it here and the other would like to move to the U.S. some day.  I've been through much heartache over the years missing my friends and family, not being able to attend weddings, family parties etc. I managed one wedding and one funeral in all this time. So homesickness is something I've just incorporated into my life. I'd like to return some day but am aware that the grass is always greener somewhere else.

Enjoy the bank holiday.

CG

Hi Conitus Grace, welcome!  :)

Yes, the curse of the ex-pat! When you are here, you miss there and when you are there, you miss here!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Oldie but newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 01:58:55 PM »
Welcome to UKY!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links