Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Smaller Scale move (but more than suitcases!)  (Read 871 times)

• Liked: 672
Smaller Scale move (but more than suitcases!)
« on: August 29, 2016, 08:48:31 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good moving company West Coast USA to the UK? We are paring down to the minimum -  one sea crate (Lift Van?), but very possibly two. We won't have enough to fill even half of a 20 ft cargo container as there's no sense shipping furniture since it appears most apartments where we are heading are furnished and there's an Ikea handy there if we need a few things on the other end of the journey. But we do have items that we are willing to pay to keep (unique or of sentimental value and a lot of books & vinyl LPs - collectible, not just dust-gatherers).

I've budgeted around $6k for moving costs and am praying I'm close. I'm thinking I may be a bit low on that estimate if we have two sea-crates. We're going to store everything we can't fit into our suitcases, to see how the wind is blowing there before we ship. (The UK could possibly ask EU citizens to leave in a few years. We'll end up moving somewhere, it's just not certain where that will be if the UK tosses us out later on.) Storage is remarkably cheap with the few local (here) moving companies I've contacted.  Speed is absolutely not of the essence. Expense and reliable door-to-door service are the most important considerations.  Thanks!  :)

Thanks!

• Liked: 1891
Re: Smaller Scale move (but more than suitcases!)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 11:30:14 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't make decisions on whether to ship or not ship stuff based on what could possibly happen with Brexit.  That's going to take many, many years before any hard decisions are taken on who can stay.  The chances that anyone is actually going to be asked to leave are minuscule. 

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 07:33:54 PM »
I had a great experience with  UpakWeShip, I used their flat rate pallet and my stuff arrived in perfect condition. I did Boston to Derby, UK and it was under $900 with insurance, and it was door to door. Great company, I highly recommend!

• Liked: 672
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 08:26:24 PM »
Thanks, Jackie. They gave me a quite reasonable quote.

Sponsored Links