Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Delivery in London: private or public? St, Mary's hospital reviews?  (Read 1835 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello!
Does anybody have experience with the Maternity services at the St. Mary hospital in London? Their private wing, Lindo, came highly recommended.
Any suggestions whether go private o public and which hospitals or birth centres? Prices of course are an issue but at this stage we are considering everything!
Thanks!!!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Delivery in London: private or public? St, Mary's hospital reviews?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 06:49:20 PM »
Ive heard good things about St Mary's and Portland Street. 

I don't think either are as plush as a US delivery suite but are both highly rated.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 08:30:41 PM »
Thanks!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 10:38:32 AM »
My children were both born in Kingston, in a normal NHS hospital.  Both experiences were great. IMHO, paying extra for private is not worth it unless money is no object.

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 11:00:30 AM »
Good to know!

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 12:08:28 PM »
The Lindo wing is about on par with any standard hospital in the US. It's nothing special or out of the ordinary -- the care is the same, so unless you desperately need to give birth in a suite with room for your staff and publicist instead of a regular private room, it's not really worth it.

I looked at it myself, but it wasn't as nice as the hospital I went to in the US, and our family is all abroad so the extra space was wasted on us.

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 12:49:36 PM »
Can I give out a bit more advice?  Don't buy a new expensive pushchair for your first one.  Many people do this, of course wanting the best for your baby.  The thing is that the first pushchair you buy needs to allow the baby to lie flat, which adds weight and complexity to the design.  After a few months, your baby hardly ever wants to lie flat and you'll want the simplest and lightest pushchair you can find.  Especially if you live in London and take public transport.

Spend all your money on the second chair, not the first. 

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 05:44:44 PM »
The Lindo wing is about on par with any standard hospital in the US. It's nothing special or out of the ordinary -- the care is the same, so unless you desperately need to give birth in a suite with room for your staff and publicist instead of a regular private room, it's not really worth it.

I looked at it myself, but it wasn't as nice as the hospital I went to in the US, and our family is all abroad so the extra space was wasted on us.

;D don't have a publicist yet and my staff won't be following me so i guess i'll skip the suite
can i ask where did you deliver?

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 05:47:40 PM »
Can I give out a bit more advice?  Don't buy a new expensive pushchair for your first one.  Many people do this, of course wanting the best for your baby.  The thing is that the first pushchair you buy needs to allow the baby to lie flat, which adds weight and complexity to the design.  After a few months, your baby hardly ever wants to lie flat and you'll want the simplest and lightest pushchair you can find.  Especially if you live in London and take public transport.

Spend all your money on the second chair, not the first.

Any baby advice is welcome! Thanks! Do you have any particular brand you would recommend?

• Liked: 43
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 06:15:11 PM »
;D don't have a publicist yet and my staff won't be following me so i guess i'll skip the suite

Have you considered a homebirth? Always an option!

(Every time I say this I know I sound like a crazy person)
Sept 2001 - June 2006: studied at the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde
Aug 2010 - Dec 2010: in UK on holiday visa
Jan 2011: issued fiancée visa
July 2011: issued FLR(M)
March 2012: DD1
June 2013: issued ILR
November 2013: DD2

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 07:01:50 PM »
I did... but it's my first baby and I think I would feel more comfortable in a hospital (just in case the most horrible things would happen of course... :) I am a little terrified!) but I've heard only good experiences of home births so maybe I could give it a little more thought. Do you have any centre/midwife to reccomend?

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 07:24:25 PM »

The first time was in the US, the second was here. I had complications so it limited my choices in that I wasn't eligible to be on the midwife-led birthing centre at the same hospital. Which is a pity, because it was lovely.

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 10:11:14 AM »
Any baby advice is welcome! Thanks! Do you have any particular brand you would recommend?

No, it's been long enough that I don't keep track of brands any more.  For any purchase, you can look on which.co.uk, that's the British version of Consumer Reports.  It's free for the first month , then you can cancel if you like.

I would highly recommend that you join the NCT, it's a non profit that supports new parents.  They have meetings where you will meet local people at the same stage as you.  My wife met up with those same people for years. 

They also have second hand sales where you can buy items that have hardly been used at yard sale prices. 

HTH

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 06:45:59 PM »
The first time was in the US, the second was here. I had complications so it limited my choices in that I wasn't eligible to be on the midwife-led birthing centre at the same hospital. Which is a pity, because it was lovely.

Im sorry for the complications. Thanks for the links anyway!

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 06:46:55 PM »
No, it's been long enough that I don't keep track of brands any more.  For any purchase, you can look on which.co.uk, that's the British version of Consumer Reports.  It's free for the first month , then you can cancel if you like.

I would highly recommend that you join the NCT, it's a non profit that supports new parents.  They have meetings where you will meet local people at the same stage as you.  My wife met up with those same people for years. 

They also have second hand sales where you can buy items that have hardly been used at yard sale prices. 

HTH

Great, thanks!

Sponsored Links