Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Why no screens in the windows???  (Read 4774 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Why no screens in the windows???
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 12:54:59 PM »
Ahh, this topic.  Hehe, been hanging on UKY since 2007 and it comes up every year, no fail  ;)

Aldi and Lidl usually have these temporary screen kits that you can hang easily and take down easily.  Not sure if you can find them this time of year at these places, but maybe other places on the web have similar products, but this is a good solution for many people, especially those who live in rented places.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/p/65493/0
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 01:16:21 PM »
Ahh, this topic.  Hehe, been hanging on UKY since 2007 and it comes up every year, no fail  ;)

Aldi and Lidl usually have these temporary screen kits that you can hang easily and take down easily.  Not sure if you can find them this time of year at these places, but maybe other places on the web have similar products, but this is a good solution for many people, especially those who live in rented places.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/p/65493/0

Perfect about Aldi and Lidl. I'll have a look there too. Just finished cleaning the house before work and I vacuumed up 3 spiders, 5 pill bugs and 2 mayflies in the bedroom just from last night eww. Husband is more of the catch and release one, I'm too put off by them for that haha.
Origin Near Cleveland, Ohio
Current location Worcestershire
Married September 28, 2015

• Liked: 149
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 02:33:24 PM »
Perfect about Aldi and Lidl. I'll have a look there too. Just finished cleaning the house before work and I vacuumed up 3 spiders, 5 pill bugs and 2 mayflies in the bedroom just from last night eww. Husband is more of the catch and release one, I'm too put off by them for that haha.
Uh oh.....won't show this to my wife. If I even think of killing a spider I get the look of death. She saves them all and puts them outside.
Fred

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 11:11:56 AM »

• Liked: 3
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 05:59:52 PM »
When it's warm I'm always wishing for screens in windows as well. Nothing disrupts a lesson faster than a wasp flying in a classroom full of 11-16 year-olds! I keep a fly swatter and mostly just kill them asap. And on this super hot day eventually closed the windows because they just kept coming in :(

• Liked: 718
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 11:22:40 AM »
My sister has a door fly screen that she hangs up at back door and then leaves the door  open to get some outside air flow.  That and a standing electric fan.

We just live with the bugs and have our windows open. Having just moved from Texas the bugs here are so much nicer, but I expect that we will change our opinion on that the longer we are here.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 11:30:42 AM »
I had a hilarious moment with my husband a few weeks ago.
There was a big spider in the kitchen.  I said "oh don't come in here, there's a big spider" (I know he HATES spiders, where I'm not bothered by them at all) - and he started to panic, "He was like, how did that get here?!  They can't be in here!! We have an airtight house, there are no cracks,  it shouldn't be here!" (We do have an airtight house, it was built just year).

I started laughing.  "It's not very airtight when we open up all the windows!!"

Next sentence was "Get the hoover!!!!!". 

Nah, I just picked it up and put it outside.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 11:49:56 AM »
After quite a bit of commotion in my quest to kill a crane fly in my bedroom last night (which people here call daddy long legs, which is just not correct as daddy long meds are eight legged spiders...but that's another issue), I told my husband that I can live without screens in the rest of the house but that I need them in the bedroom. I simply can't sleep when a bug the size of a small bird is flying around my head.

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 01:57:49 PM »
I haven't been too bothered by the lack of screens. I think I'm just so enamored of not having to deal with mosquitoes* that I don't mind the odd fly or bee that gets in. Now if I could just figure out where the snail or slug that keeps leaving trails all over our living room carpet is getting in...!

*At the playground a few weeks ago I heard a kid ask his mom if she'd ever seen a mosquito before, and she said "Once, on holiday." I couldn't believe it!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 02:34:03 PM »
Now if I could just figure out where the snail or slug that keeps leaving trails all over our living room carpet is getting in...!

Do you have any plants in there?

I had the same thing happen, I stalked the trail back to a plant pot (It was a tender plant that I had brought inside to overwinter) and sure enough found the culprit sleeping in one of the drainage holes!

He has since been liberated!  ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 03:12:32 PM »
I haven't been too bothered by the lack of screens. I think I'm just so enamored of not having to deal with mosquitoes* that I don't mind the odd fly or bee that gets in. Now if I could just figure out where the snail or slug that keeps leaving trails all over our living room carpet is getting in...!

*At the playground a few weeks ago I heard a kid ask his mom if she'd ever seen a mosquito before, and she said "Once, on holiday." I couldn't believe it!

You definitely don't live near me!   ;D

• Liked: 18
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2016, 03:22:48 PM »

LOL - The mosquito issue caused a rather funny exchange between my UKC husband and my very American self.  He made the categorical statement that there are no mosquitoes in the UK, but one day I saw one outside by our water barrels, which led to the following conversation...

Me:  Hey! There's a mosquito out here, do you think it's the standing water in the rain barrel?

Him:  We don't have mosquitoes here.

Me:  Well, I'm pretty sure that's a mosquito....

Him: Nope, we don't have them so it can't be...

Me:  Hmmmmm, I'm not convinced, that really looks like a mosquito.

Him:  What do mosquitoes look like?

Me:  Like that..... (said in a rather droll manner  ;) )

It appears we may have mosquitoes in the UK after all, although nothing like they were in California..... yet.   :P

Oh, and we have the slug issue in our living room too!  Just saw the tracks the other day - yuck.  I'd better check our houseplants.... I hate slugs and snails!  Anyone else get those disgusting orange ones?  They're huge!!  [smiley=bleck.gif]

By the way, I live just outside Newcastle so probably not that far from you!
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2016, 04:35:05 PM »
LOL - The mosquito issue caused a rather funny exchange between my UKC husband and my very American self.  He made the categorical statement that there are no mosquitoes in the UK, but one day I saw one outside by our water barrels, which led to the following conversation...

Me:  Hey! There's a mosquito out here, do you think it's the standing water in the rain barrel?

Him:  We don't have mosquitoes here.

Me:  Well, I'm pretty sure that's a mosquito....

Him: Nope, we don't have them so it can't be...

Me:  Hmmmmm, I'm not convinced, that really looks like a mosquito.

Him:  What do mosquitoes look like?

Me:  Like that..... (said in a rather droll manner  ;) )

It appears we may have mosquitoes in the UK after all, although nothing like they were in California..... yet.   :P

Oh, and we have the slug issue in our living room too!  Just saw the tracks the other day - yuck.  I'd better check our houseplants.... I hate slugs and snails!  Anyone else get those disgusting orange ones?  They're huge!!  [smiley=bleck.gif]

By the way, I live just outside Newcastle so probably not that far from you!
We've got slug issues too. It's pretty gross. I've tried putting salt where we know they come in and it's only sort of helped. I don't know what else to do.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2016, 04:45:58 PM »
After quite a bit of commotion in my quest to kill a crane fly in my bedroom last night (which people here call daddy long legs, which is just not correct as daddy long meds are eight legged spiders...but that's another issue), I told my husband that I can live without screens in the rest of the house but that I need them in the bedroom. I simply can't sleep when a bug the size of a small bird is flying around my head.
Daddy long legs aren't spiders, though they are arachnids. They onle have 2 pair of eyes vs spiders 4 and 1 body section where spiders have 2.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiliones

Weirdly enough I was trying to figure out a spider I saw the other day, giant female orb spider, I was on a UK article about common spiders and they called the harvestmen daddy long legs a daddy long legs! I was shocked. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2016, 12:53:46 PM »
We don't have any plants in our living room, that's the weird thing! I'm going to put out a little dish of beer, apparently slugs love beer and then crawl in and drown.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab